4023 grafts FUT Dr Ron Shapiro SMG - Oct 20th 2014

SunnyCool3

So man I'm going to GNC tomorrow to get 100 percent purified Aloe Vera. Weather is extremely dry. We are using humidifier but still I feel dryness in the scalp. I think aloe vera is a natural moisturizer and will help a lot. I'll let you know tomorrow what I get from GNC. But in case you are aware of some brand, please let me know.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started applying Aloe Vera on the recipient area. I felt so good as it did a great job in eliminating dryness. I'll continue using it almost everyday.

I'll be going back to work tomorrow. Its been exactly 5 weeks. Let's see if anyone will be able to figure out. I'll share my experience soon.

Good to hear, Sunny. I haven't tried it yet as I haven't been around a GNC or the like this weekend. Good luck at work!

Thanks mate. I went to GNC however they don't have 100 percent pure Aloe Vera.

i bought the plant from the the vegetable store and squeezed pure Aloe Vera out of it. Can't be better than that.

Good idea with the aloe - I will try the 100% as well. My scalp is dry due to the rogaine.

Happy growing!

Hi Hadenough and Sunny,

Since you're both experiencing dry scalp due to Rogaine, I wanted to make sure you two are applying it just once a day. Give you scalp a rest for couple of weeks if you continue with dry, itchy flakes on the scalp. It might also be helpful to use Nizoral shampoo every other day for couple of weeks then taper off to just once a week. You can introduce Nizoral shampoo right away.

Good luck to both of you in the healing and growth progress.

Hi Hadenough and Sunny,

Since you're both experiencing dry scalp due to Rogaine, I wanted to make sure you two are applying it just once a day. Give you scalp a rest for couple of weeks if you continue with dry, itchy flakes on the scalp. It might also be helpful to use Nizoral shampoo every other day for couple of weeks then taper off to just once a week. You can introduce Nizoral shampoo right away.

Hi Janna, As you suggested, I actually stopped applying Rogaine foam due to pimples. I am not sure if Rogaine was the actual culprit or something else.

Should I give it a try once again?

I am using Nizoral as you mentioned.

Hi Hadenough and Sunny,

Thanks, Janna. I'll dial it back to once per day. I haven't been too dry up until the last couple of days. I'll do the Nizoral as well.

Thanks, Sad. Given my shedding, I would love to see New Year's Day growth! Sunny, how has the work week gome?

Hi hadenough2014,

Work week was good. Actually nobody was able to figure out anything. No weird/funny looks at all. I could easily hide scalp using side hair. I'll try to post some pics. Going back to work wasn't a concern at all. Looks wise... I am back to pre OP stage. I didn't have to use any concealers etc.

I decided not to trim my hair too short as this is not my style. I know there are problems at times especially when it's windy. But I hardly walk while going to work. Also, during winter time I could wear hat when it's very windy.

Edited by SunnyCool3

• 2 weeks later...

You're right mate. It has been stressful.

I went through all the complications - swelling, skin flaking, folliculitis, grafts not shedding etc.

I hope next 4 to 6 weeks will be easier.

I think we gotta wait for another 6 weeks or so to see some growth.

Hey you guys,

I am in the stay boat now!

4mths is Springtime....that's when you start watching!

Anything before then is coping.....

I tell all patient take your mind off it after surgery and don't even look at it until 4 mths because you are not going to see much of anything.

I know, anytime there is invested interest.....one is going to watch every step.

We are who we are.

Hadenough - Sunnycool.

You contact us anytime with anything.....it is kind of fun, in anticipation!

Happy Holidays, Matt

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

Today I noticed lots of new hair popping up especially around hairline area.

It's just been 2 months so not sure why hair are coming out already lol.

i thought growth period starts only after 3 months post-op. Today after taking bath I could see lots of new hair showing up on the recipient area.

Today I noticed lots of new hair popping up especially around hairline area.

It's just been 2 months so not sure why hair are coming out already lol.

i thought growth period starts only after 3 months post-op. Today after taking bath I could see lots of new hair showing up on the recipient area.

That's great, Sunny! I also had some pop up over the last couple of weeks. I estimate I have about 300-400 hairs from grafts showing now, some as long as 1/4 inch in the mid scalp area, evenly distributed and very thin. I only have about 50 around the hairline area. I think the graft hairs can start growing any time, but I also believe very strict care regiment has helped in fostering growth. Rogaine and Proecia plus the right shampoo and lots of sleep. I also added a Biotin supplement, Zinc, and multivitamin about 6 weeks ago. Mine have stopped popping out in the last 4-5 days, so this could just be a tease with the real growth still being held back for a month or two. I only study mine after getting out of the shower in the morning, and then I move on with my day.

I hope your growth continues without a pause!

Hey you guys,

I am in the stay boat now!

4mths is Springtime....that's when you start watching!

Anything before then is coping.....

I tell all patient take your mind off it after surgery and don't even look at it until 4 mths because you are not going to see much of anything.

I know, anytime there is invested interest.....one is going to watch every step.

We are who we are.

Hadenough - Sunnycool.

You contact us anytime with anything.....it is kind of fun, in anticipation!

Happy Holidays, Matt

Thanks, Zup. I have done pretty well to put it out of my mind most of the time. I check it out after showering, and then move on with the day. Feb/Mar should be a good period. Happy Holidays!

Exactly the same thing I noticed mate. Around 300 to 400 hair around hairline and mid scalp.

I think early growth is a good sign however we still have long way to go. I hope it will get better for both of us from here on.

You're right post OP care is very critical and might be the reason for early growth.

Good news is that I've started applying Rogaine again. I use it just once a day as suggested by Dr Ron and Janna. I had to stop using it due to pimples.

I am taking 1.25 mg of Propecia a day.

I use Nizoral 1 percent once a week.

I started taking GNC ultra nourish hair vitamin for men approximately 20 days back. These vitamins are doing unbelievable job as my hair look much healthier and shiny which was never the case in last few years. Earlier I was taking multi vitamins and biotin supplements but recently I switched to these vitamins. I am really glad I made this decision as this is really working. I am curious to know if anyone else on the forum has been trying this product from GNC. So far I just have good things to say about it.

im glad things are progressing nicely for you guys, two questions for you, 1, what shampoo do you use and how is the scar looking like , happy holidays to everyone.

Hi Sad - I've been using Baby Shampoo 6 days a week plus Nizoral one day a week. My scar is still quite red, but it has not stretched in any area. It is still thin and it has no bumps. I had some shock loss around the ears by the scar, but the hairs have now grown back. It is disguised well with as long as I wear my hair (about 3/4 to an inch long), but I intend to ask the clinic about ideas to cut down on the redness. I am of scandanavian descent with a mildly fair skin tone, so slow elimination of the redness is not a big surprise to me. I am actually hoping what it may mean is good blood flow in my scalp and a possibility of better long-term result in the scar and grafts. I can bear hanging onto the red longer if it means a better long term results than I may have had with a quick tone change.

Sometime soon I will post a pic over on my thread. I see one guy on the forum recommends Watermans Grow Me Shampoo for scar healing assistance. I am going to ask my Dr. about it.

im glad things are progressing nicely for you guys, two questions for you, 1, what shampoo do you use and how is the scar looking like , happy holidays to everyone.

Hey SADbutTRUE, I use Burt Bees baby shampoo 6 days a week and Nizoral 1 percent once a week.

Scar is just a faded red line now and it has been healing pretty well. I've a mild numbness at times in the donor area which is also getting better. HAPPY HOLIDAYS