4023 grafts FUT Dr Ron Shapiro SMG - Oct 20th 2014

SunnyCool3

Sutures Removal

Today I went to Dr Konior's clinic to remove sutures.

Sutures were removed and it was slightly painful.

I feel much better & relieved now.

Thanks to Dr Konior's clinic for taking care of it. They were really nice & willing to help.

Nice to see collaboration between two great clinics (SMG & Konior).

Shedding

Shedding of grafts has not started yet for me. I think only 5 to 10% of grafts have shed so far. Not sure if this is a concern or something. I am going to ask Janna about it & get it clarified.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the forums and congrats on your recent surgery with SMG, heal well and heres to great growth, keep us posted, it will be nice to follow two solid cases from SMG,

Thanks mate. Yes, I will notify with the latest update.

I used to wear my hair long to camouflage my balding top as well as some old pluggy grafts that I had since the early 90's. The fact of the matter is, like "hadenough2014" mentioned, people actually realize or can tell we're going bald and the only people we're fooling is ourselves! Before my recent HT surgery, I used hairspray, gels, etc. to keep my hairstyle just right and perfect. God forbid there was any strong winds!. But now I'm about 2 months post-op, I've just been keeping everything real short. People have actually complimented me saying I look younger, etc. That's not to say once my HT grafts start coming in I won't let it grow in to make it look denser, but for now, its been such a refreshing and liberating thing to just quickly shampoo your head in the shower, towel dry your head, no brushing necessary! Best of luck to you and your healing. Do your post-op care and everything else will fall into place with time.

I used to wear my hair long to camouflage my balding top as well as some old pluggy grafts that I had since the early 90's. The fact of the matter is, like "hadenough2014" mentioned, people actually realize or can tell we're going bald and the only people we're fooling is ourselves! Before my recent HT surgery, I used hairspray, gels, etc. to keep my hairstyle just right and perfect. God forbid there was any strong winds!. But now I'm about 2 months post-op, I've just been keeping everything real short. People have actually complimented me saying I look younger, etc. That's not to say once my HT grafts start coming in I won't let it grow in to make it look denser, but for now, its been such a refreshing and liberating thing to just quickly shampoo your head in the shower, towel dry your head, no brushing necessary! Best of luck to you and your healing. Do your post-op care and everything else will fall into place with time.

Thanks.

I'll keep this in mind.

Please can you provide URL to the thread regarding your procedure with Dr Rahal?

Shedding has started recently. Doing shampoo little agressively has helped. I think I've lost 20% of transplanted grafts.

Ive noticed some dandruff like scab formation on the recipient area. That's getting better as well with daily shampoo.

Sunny,

Congratulations! The work looks very refined. Excited to watch your results mature.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Scabbing

Like I mentioned earlier, I'd noticed the formation of scabs in the recipient area. They looked like a layer of dandruff as they were white in color. Using dandruff shampoo once a day day helped with the scabbing. Its almost getting back to normal now as I don't see those white colored skin flakes anymore.

Shedding

Shedding is happening slowly. I think I've lost 30 to 40 percent of transplanted grafts approximately - This is just a rough guess.

Couple of days back I noticed some numbness/itchiness in the donor area. It made me feel like scratching the donor area which I thought won't be a good idea. Luckily I had Aloe Vera plant at home. I cut some stems and extracted some Aloe Vera which I applied to the donor area. It helped a lot with the numbness. I felt so good and slept like a baby that night LOL :P

I am using Aloe Vera just on the donor area once a day (before I go to bed).

20141108_145839.jpg.b564df120c2fe4a4d8b78f24f41cd36d.jpg

20141108_150025.jpg.885bf632286c3d1c280157e475c3c43f.jpg

Looks good and as expected right now, Sunny. I am thinking about trying a grade 3 on the clipper in about 2 weeks, which is 2 weeks before a big meeting I have. I am confident in the progress of my scar healing that it will remain undetectable. My wife will do the barber work. I need to get my length on the sides and back down closer to the top, otherwise it kind of looks like I chose the old man Norwood 7 look, rather than a younger buzz cut look. I will ask her to go shorter on the clipper lengths one length at a time until we don't dare go further.

Looks good and as expected right now, Sunny. I am thinking about trying a grade 3 on the clipper in about 2 weeks, which is 2 weeks before a big meeting I have. I am confident in the progress of my scar healing that it will remain undetectable. My wife will do the barber work. I need to get my length on the sides and back down closer to the top, otherwise it kind of looks like I chose the old man Norwood 7 look, rather than a younger buzz cut look. I will ask her to go shorter on the clipper lengths one length at a time until we don't dare go further.

Makes perfect sense. Based on the pic you posted yday your scar is healing really well and Ive no doubt that it will be much better by then. Ive noticed lots of folks are using dermmatch for hiding scar. You might not even need that.

I started using Rogaine foam right after 2 weeks post OP. Dr Ron suggested to use it only once a day. This is the first time I am using this product. Let's see how this will work out.

I am taking Propecia 1.25 mg a day.

Also taking biotin 5000 mcg a day.

Janna suggested using anti dandruff shampoo for 2 weeks to help eliminating scabs and then go back to use anti dandruff shampoo only twice a week. I am following her advice.

Shedding has been little slow for me. I think I was just too gentle in doing shampoo for first ten days after HT. Janna suggested to be little agressive with shampoo which helped with shedding.

what has your family and friends say about your new look or decision on having a HT. looking right on track at 18 days, now comes the hard part, WAIT, until the grafts start to grow, hang in there, im pullin for ya.

Thanks for the support man.

My wife has been supportive.

I haven't told anyone else so far.

I am getting prepared to face colleagues once I go back to work. I still have couple of weeks left though. I think nobody will be able to figure out that I'd HT done. Let's see but.

I agree wait is the worst part of this journey. I think next few weeks will be very long.

I've noticed few pimples in the recipient area. I understand it's quiet normal to get pimples after HT however I was just wondering if it is too early? There are 6 to 8 pimples in total. Most of them are just red bumps but one of them is with a white head.

I've sent an email to Janna to see if they could prescribe something to avoid infection etc.

Attaching pics.

20141111_165813.jpg.83e78221eef611664dab5874eaba564f.jpg

20141111_165818.jpg.5c5c827df7a6dc959b3ad7c070301c0e.jpg

Hi Sunny,

Have you been applying anything in the last couple of weeks, such as Rogaine Foam? A new shampoo? I wonder if the introduction of something new to the grafts/scalp is causing the pimples?

Yes. I started applying Rogaine a week back. And this is the first time I've used this product. I was also thinking if that's the culprit. I've sent this query to Dr Ron.

Edited by SunnyCool3

I used Rogaine Foam for about 2 years before my procedure, and then stopped a week before the procedure and re-started 10 days post-op. There is definitely some irritation to the grafts when I use it. I apply it very gently, but the grafts still seem to get upset and it takes them 15-20 minutes to cool down. The recipient area turns a little red after application, but then it goes away after the 15-20 minute period.

I used Rogaine Foam for about 2 years before my procedure, and then stopped a week before the procedure and re-started 10 days post-op. There is definitely some irritation to the grafts when I use it. I apply it very gently, but the grafts still seem to get upset and it takes them 15-20 minutes to cool down. The recipient area turns a little red after application, but then it goes away after the 15-20 minute period.

Dr Ron suggested me to stop using Rogaine for now.

He also prescribed antibiotics for ten days twice a day to avoid any infection or inflammation.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sunny,

Any update? Back to work yet? Did you find a hairstyle you are comfortable with?

Hi Mate,

I am doing well. Pimples issue has been resolved now. Things are getting back to normal & everything seems to be going as scheduled. Big thanks to Janna for the speedy response & help to fix the problem. I'll still be talking antibiotics though for another 10 days so that pimples do not come back. I got freaked out looking at pimples & do not want to take any chance now. :eek:

I'll be going back to work on Monday.My wife has trimmed hair from sides and back (not very short) & I feel much better after that. I will post some pics the day I will be going back to work. I think I am back to the pre OP stage now. I don't think anyone can tell that I went through a surgery. Donor area looks awesome as the scar healed very well & is not visible at all. I got to know that my immediate boss has resigned & I will be up for that role. Let's see if this procedure will bring in some luck as well :D

I've noticed that shedding has almost stopped even after being aggressive during the shampoo. I have been forceful (not crazy but sensible) with the shampoo in last 10 days or so however my transplanted hairs are still not shedding. I think I still have decent amount of hair lingering on the recipient area. I've sent some pics to Janna so that she could comment. She looked at it & said everything is normal & there's nothing to stress about shedding.

It seems my scalp was hungry for hair and now it's not willing to lose them at all :-)

I believe that the majority of patients will shed the hair shaft within the first 1-3 weeks following their procedure. However maybe 5% of patients "hold on" to a good number, if not most, of their hair shafts, so that they indeed, "start growing from day one". Not sure if I am falling in that 5% category. The transplanted hair have started growing in my case.

Let's see if I loose them in next 2 to 3 weeks. I'll update on that.

I also checked with Janna to see if I could start applying Aloe Vera (100% pure) lotion on the recipient area. She gave a go ahead to that.

How are things at your end mate?

Great to hear, Sunny! It sounds like some of things that concerned you most have worked themselves out, and now the waiting begins! I wish you luck as you return to work, maybe you'll get that big promotion. I have retained a few graft hairs as well, but it sounds like you have held on to many more than me. I'd say I have about 10% left at mid scalp area.

Like you, I don't think anyone notices anything. I went back to work today and no one said anything nor did I even get any funny looks. While I may have thought it looks a lot different, it probably looks like nothing different to other people. Maybe just a trim on top. After all, most people don't notice small differences on other people, they are to consumed with their own concerns. It helps that my native hairs that doc cut grew back to about 1/2 length in the last few weeks. Whew!

My scar is not healing quite as well as yours, and I have shock loss near my ears. But not enough that I need to use a concealor. I still have pinkness and it is tender a bit, but there is no sign of any stretching that is visible to my wife, so that is most important. I am very mindful of taking care of the scar-I want the best heal possible. I will be thrilled the day my wife sees hair growing through the scar itself due to the tricho technique used.

Good idea with the aloe - I will try the 100% as well. My scalp is dry due to the rogaine.

Happy growing!