Is FUT scarring usually a problem with shaved head?

I am currently strongly considering my first HT. and am more interested in FUT (partially due to the lower cost but also the supposedly higher yield). My prospective surgeon Dr Saifi from Poland has achieved excellent results with FUT scars in the past but has warned that the scar may be visible with a shaved head particularly with less dense hair at the back of the head.

I am keen to keep the option of shaving my head in the future without big, obvious scars on my head. I am curious as regards how many in general have shaved their heads after strip surgery and whether they had a problem with it. Of course different surgeons achieve different results, but as a general consensus, is this something that proves a problem for many?

Spoonman,

Please define how short you wish to shave it I think there can be a misunderstanding on how people define the term shaved. Some people will define shaved as shaved to the bone and others would say a short style at the back that could mean anything from grade one to grade four.

FUT is out if you wish to shave to the bone or a grade one a very good donor scar can be concealed by a grade two haircut if you have average to above average density the general accepted rule would be that a good donor scar needs at least a grade 3 to cover it.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I Dr Saifi... has warned that the scar may be visible

I am keen to keep the option of shaving my head in the future

Don't do strip.

Doctor S is being optimistic ...delete.."may be visible?"..insert ...."will be visible"

Strip...FUT stands for.

Forget forever about doing a

U

Turn

there is no going back with strip, no line of retreat.

What about Turkey for FUE?

While I don't feel as ominous about strip as the poster above, it's true if you are ever thinking about shaving your head fut is not the option for you. Stick to fue. There is definitely a place for strip, like people who don't want to shave, have high laxity, and need a lot of grafts, but there is no place for strip and shaving.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for the feedback guys. After careful consideration over the past few days I have decided to go with FUE. I definitely feel that it's the right option for me.[/quote

Glad you made yr decision. If you want a shaved head, then think you made the right choice

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014