Hair transplant with Dr. Alexander 2200 grafts

RDBAZ

After doing years of research, I decided to take the plunge and get a hair transplant. I started receding in 1999 when I was only 19 years old. It bothered me, but I knew I should wait until I was older to get one, as the receding would be much more pronounced.

At 34, my hair loss has remained the same for the last 5 or 6 years and I've been left with what I consider a badly receding hairline.

I researched all of the doctors, and out of everyone, I was most impressed with the frontal hairlines that Dr. Alexander does. They are strong, well-defined, yet natural-looking. After researching his credentials and viewing his results, I was very confident that he's the surgeon I was looking for.

I met Dr. Alexander at a consultation about a month ago. He was very thorough. He answered every question I had and even brought up some aspects I hadn't considered. He has a great personality. Sitting there talking to him was just as if I were talking with an old friend. I could definitely sense that he cares about the comfort of his patients just as much as their results.

He drew in a hairline at the consultation and handed me a mirror. It was literally the perfect hairline that I had envisioned. Needless to say, I was very pleased. I booked the surgery and anxiously waited.

His staff were very professional and thorough as well. They coordinated the medications and went over everything in great detail. I felt very at ease.

The day of the surgery, I showed up at 7:30am. Dr. Alexander was there with a smile on his face. He's much more of a morning person than me, which is a good thing. We went back to his office and went over everything again. The procedure was to be 2,000 grafts. He drew in the hairline, and re-confirmed that it was up to my liking, which it was.

We then proceeded to the surgery room.

The chair was quite comfortable. I sat there while he numbed me up. He's very skilled with the needle, as I've had flu shots that hurt 10-times worse.

When he made sure I was completely numb, he began extracting the strip. I didn't feel a thing. His execution was perfect. He took the strip out and stitched me up with the utmost precision. Based on research, I thought I'd have a really tight feeling in my scalp, but as I sit here typing this, I can safely say I do not. He was really checking the flexibility of my scalp so I'm sure he took the results into account when selecting the width in which to cut.

Throughout the process, I found myself just talking with Dr. Alexander like we were old friends. Again, he's just a really nice guy and his personality puts you at ease.

After he finished stitching me up, he began making the holes for the grafts. I've ready people say "it hurt", "they could feel pressure" etc. Not with me. He numbed me up very well, and was very precise in his movements. I didn't really feel anything, and before I knew it, he was done. I then realized that the "worst" of the transplant was over, and there was no pain or drama whatsoever. It was easy. I was in pretty high spirits and asked if I could take a pic with Dr. Alexander. He happily obliged.

After that, I got a lunch break. They let me pick from the menu at Duck and Decanter. Never tried it before, but it's a new favorite spot. The smoked turkey on sourdough was amazing! And no, it was not added to my bill.

After lunch I got back in the chair. Dr. Alexander oversaw the transplanting of grafts. The technicians assisting were highly skilled. One had about a decade of experience, which was obvious from her fluid movements. They were done before I knew it. Dr. Alexander did a final inspection to make sure each graft was perfectly placed. He told me that they ended up doing 2,200 grafts. We had settled on 2000 when I paid. He felt the extra 200 would just make it that much more perfect. He didn't add it to my bill, which showed me that he truly cares about the results and the patient much more than the money. He is a perfectionist, and it definitely shows through in his skillset as well as his business management.

After my surgery he went over the postoperative care in detail. I was already given an instructional sheet but he wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing.

Let me just say that I am so impressed with my experience. He's a great guy and his staff are super friendly. They also have a great movie selection!

From a pain perspective, nothing hurt during the procedure. The numbing had a tiny stinging sensation, but other than that, it was pain-free.

I took a Tylenol 3 that night and had a little pain at the incision scar, but the next morning, it had greatly dissipated. I took a few regular Tylenol in the AM and that's about all I've needed. Going into day two after the surgery, the incision doesn't hurt and there's no pain in the graft area.

I can't wait for my hair to grow in. Dr. Alexander is amazing, and I know this hairline is going to look phenomenal. I'll post pics as it grows in. My hair is a little thinner, so it may take more time to show. We'll see. Either way, I've been receded since 1999, I can wait :)

As the results come in, I'd be happy to meet with or speak to anyone considering Dr. Alexander. He was my #1 pick and remains so.

image.jpg.c5ac267c58c7c6da7166e17fe77837be.jpg

Thanks for the writeup of your procedure with Dr. Alexander. He is top notch, and a nice guy to talk with as well. The work in the immediate post op pic looks clean and refined, and he gave you a terrific-looking hairline. Dr. Alexander tends to fall more in the conservative camp when it comes to graft counts per procedure, so you should have plenty in reserve for the future and should get a good scar.

Please keep us posted!

Grow well.

Thanks for the reply PupDaddy. I will definitely keep posting as the hair starts growing in. He was great with the donor area. There will definitely be plenty left over for procedure #2 if my hair decides to start retreating again :) And his suture job in the back was a work of art itself. I have scars everywhere from various sports-related surgeries, so I know a good suture job when I see one. His is by far the best.

I'm also very happy that I found this forum. With all of the garbage out there like those places with infomercials, I'm glad there's a place to come where I can find out who's really the best. I just can't say enough good things about Dr. Scott Alexander. I'm very glad I chose him!

image.jpg.3f9002eceb64bf35d6d7512767b73099.jpg

RDBAZ,

Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your experience with Dr. Alexander. I hope you';ll continue to up0date us on your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks David! I most certainly will. I have thinner hair so it'll take a while to grow in but I'll post some progress pics on here. Very happy with my decision to go with Dr. Alexander. It was honestly much less evasive than I had concluded the procedure to be. Perks of going with a skilled surgeon I suppose.

• 6 months later...