2,460 FUE Hair Transplant by Doctor John Diep

jkm3

On August 3d, 2014, I underwent an FUE hair transplant, which was performed by Doctor John Diep of Los Gatos, California. Dr. Diep transplanted a total of 2,460 grafts in the front half of my head. He recreated my hairline and added grafts further back to increase density. It's been three months and one week since surgery and I already have significant growth.

I used this website to learn a lot of what I know about hair loss treatments, but I've never posted anything before. This thread is a way for me to give back to the community. I'd also like to receive feedback from other members regarding my continued progress.

I will be updating this thread with new photos every month or so. In this initial post, I will include pre-op, immediate post op, 3 month, and current (almost 14 weeks) photos.

IMG_2595.jpg.5f447df9ab6f406ff1c87040ed748644.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg.3eb488fbf32e5d7781c272ba0de108fb.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg.3516e4fecbe6535dc3cb50ad072738e0.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg.078a4cad619d504951068589b9d90ccf.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg.40547071a70d1bb4092798a5eb8af02f.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg.70e65c7547515cd315d334100aa5ed5f.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg.03dcfa329b430b6bbc83441a44c01f94.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg.1dcad8f3b146321965d65adeea5d8aa1.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg.eeba816af04bdd61523d32bf94af56b1.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg.5fb892029bd9fb24b6c7094727369e08.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg.f03fb29468e9848e68c90860cf250b20.jpg

Edited by jkm3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jkm,

Congratulations! Looks like things are really coming along nicely.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks, Loags! Not too many people like the zig zag approach to creating a hairline. Dr. Diep seems to think it yields the most natural results. I personally like it, but I've seen different approaches yield natural results, too. An individual's hair characteristics plays an important role and it's the doctor's job to judge just how much zig zagging is needed, if at all.

I saw your hair transplant site. The works looks really good. It's been 5 months since your surgery, right? Will you be updating soon?

it looks great. if you look at my 4 month-ish post op pics, you'll see our hair looked very similar, but as the hair grows and starts to sprout it really comes to fruition. the issue is when the hair is short, even if the direction of the hair is correct, the hair goes all over the place which just makes it look weird and as if the density is not good, but once its long to a point where you can comb in the direction you want to, it looks fine :)

it looks great. if you look at my 4 month-ish post op pics, you'll see our hair looked very similar, but as the hair grows and starts to sprout it really comes to fruition. the issue is when the hair is short, even if the direction of the hair is correct, the hair goes all over the place which just makes it look weird and as if the density is not good, but once its long to a point where you can comb in the direction you want to, it looks fine :)

You're right, I definitely see the similarity. Thanks for the information, m0dthispny!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been exactly 4 months since my hair transplant so I have some new pictures to share. There's definitely been an improvement since last month and I'm happy with the results so far. There's not too much new hair breaking though in the hairline area, but I understand that it's still too early to worry. I'm hoping that the density behind the hair line will improve soon, too.

Also, I was recently given my graft breakdown from Dr. Diep's office. I thought I'd share that: 1's: 759; 2's: 1205; 3s: 401; 4s: 110

Let me know what you guys think.

FalwRR.png

UzxJCN.png

WBlk1n.png

2M6ddK.png

K8gws6.png

Looking REALLY good at 4 months, jkm3! Love how the hairline is shaping up. Looks like Dr. Diep did you and himself proud.

As you know, not only will more hairs sprout as the months go on, but as the transplanted hairs cycle through their growth stages, they will mature, fatten up, and become better "trained" to the angles and directions they were implanted.

Please continue to update us.

very natural and nice progress, one of Dr. Diep's best FUE cases that I've seen

I appreciate your feedback. I think this is Dr. Diep's best work:

Hopefully my result will be similar. My hair isn't as wavy as his so I don't think I'll be able to achieve the same amount of visual density.

Looking REALLY good at 4 months, jkm3! Love how the hairline is shaping up. Looks like Dr. Diep did you and himself proud.

As you know, not only will more hairs sprout as the months go on, but as the transplanted hairs cycle through their growth stages, they will mature, fatten up, and become better "trained" to the angles and directions they were implanted.

Please continue to update us.

Thanks for the kind words and the information. I really appreciate it. I'll definitely continue to update my case.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to do an early update to show what my hair looks like at 4.5 months, after applying product and grooming. The recipient area is still not as thick as the rest of my hair, but it's becoming less visible as the length of my hair increases.

I'm pretty sure that a significant amount of hair still hasn't emerged. This is especially true for the area directly behind my hairline to the mid-scalp. I'm a little concerned about this given that I had growth begin at month 2 and so I'm wondering whether it's normal for a substantial amount of grafts to be in the resting phase 2 1/2 months longer than others. I'm hoping that you guys can chime in on this.

Overall, I'm really pleased with where I am currently and excited to assess my progress at 6 months.

IMG_3681.png

image ru

IMG_3682.png

free image upload

IMG_3683.png

image sharing

IMG_3684.png

photo hosting

Edited by jkm3

I decided to do an early update to show what my hair looks like at 4.5 months, after applying product and grooming. The recipient area is still not as thick as the rest of my hair, but it's becoming less visible as the length of my hair increases.

I'm pretty sure that a significant amount of hair still hasn't emerged. This is especially true for the area directly behind my hairline to the mid-scalp. I'm a little concerned about this given that I had growth begin at month 2 and so I'm wondering whether it's normal for a substantial amount of grafts to be in the testing phase 2 1/2 months longer than others. I'm hoping that you guys can chime in on this.

Overall, I'm really pleased with where I am currently and excited to assess my progress at 6 months.

xeJciF.jpg

PrZ8jn.jpg

sBEGrw.jpg

TMrEQb.jpg

Your results were great at 3 months, and they continue to get even better at 6 months. Your pics do not illustrate the slow growth behind the hairline. They make it look pretty dense. Perhaps different lighting would help. But in any case, you still have 4-6 months before you

probably reach your final result, so I wouldn't be too concerned right now. You've already got a home run result in my view.

Your results were great at 3 months, and they continue to get even better at 6 months. Your pics do not illustrate the slow growth behind the hairline. They make it look pretty dense. Perhaps different lighting would help. But in any case, you still have 4-6 months before you

probably reach your final result, so I wouldn't be too concerned right now. You've already got a home run result in my view.

Thank you for your reply. It's difficult to see the thin area in the updated pictures because of the way I had my hair styled. I took another picture in different lighting and angle and attached it below.

I'm not too worried about it yet, since I'm only 4 months and two weeks in, but It'd be reassuring to hear that such a large area can become as dense as the rest of my hair by 12 months.

IMG_3687.png

imgurl

Now I see what you mean. It's thinner than the native hair behind it and may not ever reach the feeling of density equalling that native hair, but it should reach the cosmetic appearance of that hair behind it. My Dr. kept telling me that what we are working to achieve is "cosmetic density". Now, I was Norwood 5 before my surgery, so anything will feel and look more dense for me. You may want to ask your Dr. what the density of the placed grafts in the recipient area was (per square cm), and then ask him what the density was in your donor area pre-op. This may give you a better idea of the difference between the recipient maximum potential vs. your natural density.