Results in Real-Time: Dr. Steven Gabel Patient, 3439 Grafts Frontal Hairline

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the positive comments. She has been thrilled about the result, especially in the last couple months where her hair is growing longer and covering the transplanted areas even better.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

We are now at 7-months after 3439 follicular unit grafts were placed in the frontal hairline and fronto-temporal angles at the Gabel Center. Her hair is growing so well right now it is difficult to comb through it. In fact, when I was taking the photographs yesterday, she feels that the transplanted area is denser then the non-transplanted areas.

As shown in the photographs, which were taken yesterday, April 25, 2015, (documented with the current Oregon newspaper), her hair is growing and the density is amazing. It is difficult to comb through that section of her hair. Also, note that the hair is wavy which is seen early in the growth period. This is due to the micro-scars that occur when a slit is made. Her hair will eventually become smoother as the micro-scars soften up.

Overall this patient is absolutely thrilled with her progress as it is very difficult to see the scalp in the fronto-temporal angles, which is the reason she had the procedure. She is just anxious for it to grow long for styling purposes, which will take several more months.

We will continue to document, in real-time, her monthly progress.

month7_zpsc10a12c5.jpg

Newspaper_zps6b1qp2s1.jpg

7mo-frontal_zpsnmgm2edr.jpg

7mo-right_zpsla46t1du.jpg

7mo-left_zpsa56lkmm2.jpg

7mo-top_zpsimswly7y.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 1 month later...

We are now at 8-months after transplanting 3439 follicular unit grafts to the frontal hairline and the fronto-temporal angles at the Gabel Center. The photos show continued growth and thickening of the transplanted hairs. We see that the hairs have a tiny curl to them: this is due to the fact that the patient has a natural curl to her hair, but also there are tiny microscars that will soften up over the next several months.

We will continue to document, in real-time, her monthly progress.

month8_zpsc4f164f6.jpg

Date%208%20mo_zpsax5xrqhi.jpg

frontal_zpsc4rozzke.jpg

frontaldown_zpsesv5x8dx.jpg

left45_zpsakmvwu3q.jpg

right45down_zpsjyho42v0.jpg

top_zpsql5lktj9.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

We are now 9-months after a 3439 follicular unit graft transplant to the frontal hairline and fronto-temporal angles at the Gabel Hair Restoration Center. The transplanted hairs continue to grow. Also, the patient is starting to notice that the hairs are thickening up. The hairs continue to have a tiny curl to them, and as the micros-scars soften up, we anticipate that the hairs will straighten up as well. She has curly hair so it will improve, but she will always have a curl to them.

These photos were just taken today, and I also have a video that shows us combing through her hair. I will present the video after I process it, but I wanted to get the photos that we took today to keep the “Real-Time” photos coming.

month9_zps1445ac4e.jpg

date%209%20mo_zpsle6tegdz.jpg

Frontal_zpskg5az7g1.jpg

right_zpss3vperrv.jpg

left_zpspusx6die.jpg

top_zpslfrbzh8h.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

simply awesome, I love the 2 cases you have shown with patient comming in every month to take pics, so we can see the growth month by month,i hope you continue this because its great to watch the transformation develop over time. great work doc.great idea as well.

• 1 month later...

We are now 10-months following 3439 follicular unit grafts placed into the fronto-temporal recessions of this patient. The hairs are growing longer, and she is going to straighten her hair for the 1-year photos. Overall, she feels her hair is very thick in that area, and it has certainly satisfied her expectations from the procedure. These photos were taken 2 days ago. I also have a video that I will post with these photographs.

She will return in 1-month for her 11 month photographs.

month10_zps13975e36.jpg

10mo%20closeup%20newspsper_zpssnygry5r.jpg

10mo%20frontal_zps9dhxcjct.jpg

10mo%20frontal%20down_zpss1nbuhq7.jpg

10moright_zpsgkqu1wtt.jpg

10moleft_zpsjmideiwn.jpg

10mo%20top_zpsdavcack6.jpg

10mo%20closeup_zps7sscbsxx.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

This result gets more and more impressive every month. What a home run! Nice work, Dr G!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Nice job. And I also like the confidence in your work to offer real time results. I haven't seen anyone do that as consistently as you. Good job.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 4 weeks later...

11 Month Update: Results in Real-Time with Dr. Steven Gabel Patient, 3439 Grafts Frontal Hairline, Portland, Oregon

I have been presenting before and after photographs of this female patient each month to demonstrate the growth of a hair transplant from prior to surgery, immediate postop, her suture removal, and each month afterwards in real-time. Each set of photographs was posted within a couple days of taking the pictures to demonstrate, in real-time, the growth of a hair transplant. I feel this is very educational for people to see the real-time, monthly progress, of a hair transplant and what to expect after the procedure.

This patient is now 11-months after her hair transplant of 3439 follicular unit grafts at our center. She has curly hair which shows with the transplanted grafts as they retain their natural hair structure. She has noticed that the hairs are starting to straighten out as we have expected. Most importantly, they are continuing to thicken, grow, and blend in very well to her natural hair adjacent to the transplanted hair. The goal of hair restoration surgery is to produce a natural result, which we have achieved here.

This patient will return in one month to present her 1 year results. Again, I want to thank this patient for returning each month for these photographs. Because of her busy schedule, we meet at the office on Saturdays to take these photographs.

month11_zpse8e58604.jpg

11mo-frontal_zpscpjjoxfx.jpg

11mo-frontaldown_zpsf94l9qqp.jpg

11mo-right_zpswcyordmh.jpg

11mo-left_zpsuc5lox7v.jpg

11mo-top_zps6ok6db4l.jpg

11mo-Closeup_zpsm5ihgtgk.jpg

11mo-Date_zpsrri9de5t.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Excellent job Doc! Even with the hair starting to straighten out the density is really impressive. She must have great donor characteristics! What I most like is the macro irregularities in your design of the hairline. Really goes well with her hair caliber.

I am presenting a patient in real time. Here are the 10 day suture removal photos. I tried to attach these to the original post, but I was not able to edit the original post.

As seen, the hairs are all growing which indicates to me that the transplanted hairs are all viable. When patients come back for the suture/staple removal at 10 days, I point this out to them because in a short time, over the next 3 weeks, most of the transplanted hairs will fall out. Some patients become concerned about the hairs falling out so I refer them to these photos that show all the transplanted hairs growing. Also at this time, there is a small amount of exudate or crusting that should be almost gone. All patients will develop some type of exudate and it is important that they follow their physician's postoperative instructions for proper care in the postoperative period.

Is that actually true? Regarding initial growth of the freshly transplanted grafts?

Is that actually true? Regarding initial growth of the freshly transplanted grafts?

So I understand the question, are you asking if I can see that the transplanted hairs are growing, that they are viable?

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

So I understand the question, are you asking if I can see that the transplanted hairs are growing, that they are viable?

Yea, I was just curious as to whether the "growth" shown prior to the shed weeks after the newly transplanted grafts are due to the cells actually generating hair, or if it is the shaft of the hair being expelled as the graft goes into telogen phase....

I guess I am trying to understand whether a non viable graft would just sit there and not grow (or fall out unless agitated).