Results in Real-Time: Dr. Steven Gabel Patient, 3439 Grafts Frontal Hairline

I am presenting this patient who had surgery on September 3, 2014, and will display her results every month on this thread to document the progression of growth in hair restoration surgery. This patient had 3439 grafts placed in the frontal hairline and temples to augment and bring down her hairline.

She has graciously volunteered to return each month to my office for the next year so we will be able to present her photographs in real-time. I feel this is instructive for patients inquiring about the progression of hair restoration surgery and how they may look each month.

month0_zps4d74019b.jpg

1-Pre1_zpsb6321f95.jpg

1-pre2_zps830540a1.jpg

1-preoplines1_zps95dbf082.jpg

1-preoplines2_zps8d59c474.jpg

1-Immediate1_zps4b56e4fa.jpg

1-Immediate2_zps8b5bb6e2.jpg

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Gabel, looks really great, and the fact that you're willing to post pictures in real time speaks to your confidence in your craft.

Please also feel free to continue posting more of your already completed cases. Specifically, if you have more FUE cases, that would be really appreciated.

Great idea Dr. Gabel. This could prove to be a very helpful thread for people.

I look forward to the monthly updates.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• 1 month later...

I am presenting a patient in real time. Here are the 10 day suture removal photos. I tried to attach these to the original post, but I was not able to edit the original post.

As seen, the hairs are all growing which indicates to me that the transplanted hairs are all viable. When patients come back for the suture/staple removal at 10 days, I point this out to them because in a short time, over the next 3 weeks, most of the transplanted hairs will fall out. Some patients become concerned about the hairs falling out so I refer them to these photos that show all the transplanted hairs growing. Also at this time, there is a small amount of exudate or crusting that should be almost gone. All patients will develop some type of exudate and it is important that they follow their physician's postoperative instructions for proper care in the postoperative period.

Sutureremoval_zpsd7825c8b.jpg

front_zps0c2d8563.jpg

top_zps681283e9.jpg

right_zps299222ca.jpg

left_zps602b6079.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 1 month later...

Here are the month 2 photos:

At this point, all the transplanted grafts have shed, which is expected at this point. There is a faint redness where the grafts were placed in a high-density type fashion. The redness is also fading over time.

date2mo_zpsf21c0a3c.jpg

2mofrontal_zps629bb50d.jpg

2moright_zps4b6a0834.jpg

2moleft_zps9a83ba8e.jpg

2motop_zpsee6e335f.jpg

Edited by Steve Gabel, M.D.
added title

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Here are her 3 month results, which were just taken 3 days ago on December 22, 2014, as shown in the newspaper she is holding.

At this point, her hair is now just starting to grow. It is still sparse, but slowing starting to fill in. Only a small % of the grafts have started growing at this point. This is certainly an exciting time for patients because it is proof that the grafts survived and the results are starting to show.

10Days_zps030c85ad.jpg

Date3mo_zps17e50138.jpg

3mo-frontaldown_zpsfa5d8a7d.jpg

3moright_zps1bb440c2.jpg

3mo-right_zpsffda76b2.jpg

3mo-top_zps0f2742dd.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Is the pt already shaved in the outlined photos? The headline shape looks a little different in the outlined and non outlined photos, but it could just be the hair band positioning.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Is the pt already shaved in the outlined photos? The headline shape looks a little different in the outlined and non outlined photos, but it could just be the hair band positioning.

Spanker

In the outlined photos, the patient was not shaved at that point. That is how she presented on the day of surgery as we did a complete reconstruction of the frontal-temporal angles on her.

I agree about the shape: Although I do my very best to line up the head position for every photo, her head is slightly tilted more forward then the original photo giving that appearance. Also, she had been wearing a fitted hat for entire day so her hair was flattened.

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

• 2 weeks later...

We are now presenting the 4-month update from our patient who has graciously come in each month to document her progress. We have presented each month from the day of surgery through yesterday, January 5, 2015 (the front page of the Oregonian shows the article on the matchup between Oregon and Ohio State for the National Championship, and the lessons to share on legal weed – Oregon approved this in the last election).

The patient is now 4-months out and the transplanted hairs are starting to sprout in a much more vigorous fashion. They are thin at this stage, and there are still many to erupt through the skin, but the results are starting to show.

The transplanted hairs at this stage come out of the scalp rather thin and wavy, and over the next year or more, the hairs will thicken up as the hair shaft diameter increases. She will be back in one month for the month-5 photos.

month4_zps626c77b7.jpg

4monewspaper_zps408a03fd.jpg

Frontal4months_zps258b4952.jpg

right4months_zpsc4e1315b.jpg

left4months_zps6d7e88f9.jpg

top4months_zpsfcd4b187.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

• 1 month later...

Here are the 5-month update photos. This patient has been coming into the office each month to display her progress each month.

As shown, the transplanted hairs are all erupting well. She still has a long way to go, but the results are definitely showing. The patient is certainly excited to see this as the transitional period is always the most difficult time since the results are not instantaneous.

It is very interesting to see the progress this patient has made from before surgery, and each month following the procedure. She will be back at show her 6-month result.

month5_zps094b7594.jpg5monthnewspaper_zpsgkxfveiy.jpg

right_zps55rfsxku.jpg

left_zpsrfnsk9t4.jpg

top_zpslydianeo.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Looks very nice already. I don't think the hairline could have been designed better.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Shadow: Great observation!

Women have several types of hair loss patterns, but we tend to see these more often:

1. Central "christmas tree" pattern

2. Diffuse thinning

3. Frontal-temporal recession - this can be congenital (tend to be great candidates for a hair transplant as most have no hair loss except in the frontal-temporal area and therefore have great donor hair)

I have presented many female patients with deep frontal-temporal recession type patterns. For woman with deep frontal-temporal recessions, they feel that they are limited in how they are able to style their hair - specifically, they are not able to style their hair back or to the side as they feel it exposes too much scalp giving a more "male" hair loss pattern. In fact, I just did a hair transplant on a woman 2 days ago that had even deeper recessions then the patient I am presenting for the monthly follow up and the patient below. We transplanted over 3200 grafts just into the frontal-temporal angles. I will put those photos together and show the outline that we transplanted.

Here is another example of a woman that we transplanted a few years ago with deep frontal-temporal recessions. She had no other areas of hair loss with excellent donor density which made her a perfect candidate for a hair transplant. This was congenital meaning that she was born with absent hair in the frontal-temporal areas. (The background is different as she lives out of state and the post operative photos were not taken in my office.)

RI-45down_zps14144f0d.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Fantastic!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...

My patient is now 6-months following 3439 grafts to the frontal hairline and front-temporal angles. She had severe recession and desired to fill in the areas.

The hair is growing longer, filling in areas of alopecia very nicely and the density of the transplant is showing well. I plan to post video with the next month.

month6_zps53740c04.jpg

6mofrontal_zpsyd0qwzpz.jpg

6mofrontaldown_zps3lhyaedz.jpg

right_zpsk6tphutt.jpg

left_zpsjgr4bkct.jpg

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website