Would you take out a loan for a Hair Transplant?

I've been taking Propecia (1mg a day) and 10% minoxidil for 10 months now and results have been mixed. I experienced some significant shredding during the initial stages but it did stop and my receding hair line hasn't moved since. So I think I can safely say the medication has halted the receding process. I don't think I have experienced much regrowth although there might be a small area of the headline where the hair appears to be thicker. I use toppik to cover my receding hairline, I believe I am at Norwood III.

I've come to the conclusion that I won't have any more regrowth as it's approaching a year now. My hair has stabilised and I don't think I've had any more shredding but I desperately want my hair line back again. I am currently 26 and started receding around 22 years old, male pattern baldness runs in my family and I think one of my brothers who is only 20 is balding already.

I am seriously thinking about getting a HT, although FUE type because I want to have my hair short at the back and sides and long (lengthy) at the top. However, I don't have the money for it at the moment so I was thinking about getting a loan. I have had a loan before and repaid it so I know I can do this.

I was quoted ?6,500 for FUE (1300 grafts). The clinic I received my consultation from has appeared in the media and has performed surgery on many celebs.I still don't know if that particular clinic is right for me. As I am taking out a loan, I have to be sure the clinic and procedure is right for me.

Has anyone else taken out a loan for a hair transplant? I really want my hair line back so badly. Another thing that is on my mind is having to have another hair transplant in the future. How common is this? I have read many celebs like Wayne Rooney and Calum Best having two procedures although apparently this is because they didn't take Propecia and minoxidil. I am pretty stressed about this at the moment. The world of HT is very confusing. I really wish I didn't have to go through this but if I want my hair back, I don't have any other option.

Anyone have any thoughts which could help me come to a decision?

Many thanks.

Judging a clinic by it's number of celebs that have been performed on is not the best place to be starting. Look to see patient results and how many have they got in their gallery, track record and consistency is much better way to judge a clinic. Do a search on here for that clinic.

As for your situation loosing hair at such a young age could mean that you are going to loose a lot more hair in the future the fact that you are taking Propecia and your loss is stable is of course a very good thing. Take a look around your relatives, father, mums father, uncles etc and see if there is any high Norwoods and that might give you a clue as to where your loss would be headed without medication.

If you do decide to do something small like 1300 grafts just make sure it is appropriate for when you get older and make sure you have enough donor grafts to address further loss in the future. You should consult several clinics for advice before making any decision. Donor hair is not in endless supply and anyone at your age should proceed with caution it will unlikely be your only surgery.

As for getting a loan I did take out a loan to pay for my first repair I too was desperate but for different reasons I thought I looked abnormal and I did so I needed to do something about it and for me it was the right decision. If you can comfortably afford the repayments and it is not going to put too much of a stretch on your finances then consider it but again make sure you know the bottom line of how much you will pay in total.

I wouldn't be in a hurry at this stage to jump in you should fully understand your potential hair loss pattern and your donor before making any commitment.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Many thanks for your message.

I didn't see any normal patient results and it's been very difficult to find much info about this particular clinic despite it being featured in the media quite a bit. That's what's partly putting me off. I want to see examples of people like my self who have had the procedure. There is very little info on the particular clinic on this website.

One of my uncles has a particularly high Norwood like 6/7, my dad's hair loss seems to have started in his 20s, like mine. He is 61 now and still has hair at the back and sides but very thin at the top, probably between 5A and 5V and its probably stopped now due to his age. So it looks like I could end up with a high Norwood. However, I am taking medication which seems to have worked. I haven't had any more shredding since I initially started taking meds. Question is, how long should I wait before it's time to have surgery? A year without any further hair loss on meds, to me, seems like a good starting point but I am still anxious because of my young age. However, on the other hand, I desperately want my hairline back now.

The doctor suggested 1,300 grafts. I asked the doctor how likely it was I'll need further surgery in the future. He said I probably would but in about 10 years time. How is he able to predict this? Will the meds ware off eventually?

I could repay the loan without any problems to be honest. Obviously I'd prefer not to have to spend around ?170 a month on a loan but if I want my hairline back it is something I will have to do.

Thanks for your message, you have given me a different perspective and to be cautious about this.

I know I am young hair loss sufferer but it is so depressing seeing other guys my age with beautiful hair, with attractive styling, something I used to do my self! Every time I go to the hair dressers I get really anxious just in case the hair dresser reveals to much of my bald spots. Each morning I get stressed about my hair making sure I am able to cover bald spots with hair or toppik.

Something I have noticed about this whole hair thing, the more I stress about it, the more I feel like my hair loss is getting worse. I did have a period where I didn't worry too much about it (because in my head I was telling my self my full hair will come back soon as I've had a transplant and this made me feel better) and I felt content about it all. Now I am feeling very stressed about it all I get tension on my scalp in particularly where hair loss is likely to happen in the future. It's really strange.

What I will do now is continue to take the meds and do my research, visit several hair loss clinics and compare and contrast their opinions, prices etc. I don't want to rush into this, I want to get it right. I really want my hair line back so I am prepared to wait and get it right.

Things I need to establish:

Reputable clinics and surgeons

How many grafts do I need right now

Hair loss pattern in the future

Will meds ware off

How many HT will I need

I'm not sure if some of these questions can be answered with any degree of certainly which makes this whole procedure so risky.

Kudos to Garageland for that post. Doesn't matter which celebs a clinic has done. Look at Wayne Rooney's FUE . . . not much cop.

How you finance your procedure is up to you obviously. You won't be the first to borrow to pay for what is essentially elective surgery and I doubt you'll be the last. As Garageland said, though, it's worth looking at family members on both sides for a clue as to where you might end up by the time you're 30, 40 years old and plan your grafts carefully

I think if you are based in UK and looking for quality FUE for your hairline you should hop on the Eurostar to Belgium. Look at the doctors there. I just had 1800 FUE with Dr Feriduni on my hairline. It cost 6,500 pounds. Very easy from the UK. I wouldn't go to a UK clinic if I were you but if you insisted I'd say go to Dr Ragu Reddy but I think if its FUE you want and hairline then Dr. Feriduni would be your man. All the best buddy!

The answer is obvious CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CLINIC. You want a clinic that has good presented results as well as good patient-posted results. If you do not have enough money, then wait till you do. Loan is fine I think, but get a decent doctor first.

Totally your call and I am not providing any financial advice but whilst Bank of England interest rates are low you can shop around for some very low interest rate loans.

I personally took a loan out just so I could take a cancellation appointment off someone and fully paid the loan back after 3 months (even with the early repayment charges it was completely worth it for my personal situation)!!

As for the loan you know your personal commitments and with the base rate of interest being low you can get some decent rates out there currently. Taking out a loan obviously increases the overall cost of the surgery if it turns out to be a great success and you are happy then it will have been worth every penny. But if you end up not so happy and the density is not there as you were expecting and you need another session then what happens?

Or you loose more hair and need further work because the recession continues and the 1300 hairline grafts become isolated then what, another loan?

I had 3 very small ht's in 3 years around 400-500 grafts each time, ok it was a while back but the lesson is still relevant to learn from. I had money for the first one and then had to borrow from relatives for the second two. The results were terrible and whilst I was not on medication like you I lost more hair eventually to a Norwood 6. I gave up after the third HT partly because I realised that I was never going to solve my hair loss problem and I had run out of money.

Ok so that is a very grim reality of my situation back then but putting 1300 grafts into someone who had a high family level of hair loss at your age is likely to mean further surgeries. How the Doctor can say 10 years before you need anymore work is just guess work has he even been in this business 10 years to have past cases to refer to?

It seems to me that some clinics are quoting patients what they are conveniently able to transplant by fue in one day or what they think might suit the patients budget.

Propecia tends to work better in the mid scalp and crown but patients can still loose hair in the front. If your mid scalp and crown are solid with no signs of miniaturization yet then that would be a very positive sign but if you have any thinning behind the hairline just placing 1300 grafts I am not sure it is going to make you happy.

This is all speculation as I have not seen your photos but I would hate for you to have a small session and then require more work before you have even paid off the first loan.

You should research and visit other reputable clinics I am not saying the one you visited isn't but getting further opinions is valuable research.

It is more stressful to suffer hair loss in your twenties it is more likely when you are single and image is even more important and more of your friends and colleagues your age are not suffering with loss and you feel more the minority having to deal with this. That said loosing your hair in not a nice thing to experience at any age.

Your last paragraph was spot on and the questions you have raised are perfect ones to be asking yourself. Good luck with your research.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I think if you are based in UK and looking for quality FUE for your hairline you should hop on the Eurostar to Belgium. Look at the doctors there. I just had 1800 FUE with Dr Feriduni on my hairline. It cost 6,500 pounds. Very easy from the UK. I wouldn't go to a UK clinic if I were you but if you insisted I'd say go to Dr Ragu Reddy but I think if its FUE you want and hairline then Dr. Feriduni would be your man. All the best buddy!
Thanks for this, I'll look into it and in particular the doctor you mention.

I may have some questions if you'd be wiling to answer then pal!

Garageland made some very good and valid points.

The whole thing in making a decision to borrow money is so ambiguous between individuals. The real issue is, "Will the new loan obligation put a significant strain on your budget?" and also, "If your employment situation was to change for the worse, would you still be able to meet that obligation?" It does not sound like you are putting yourself in a dire situation yet you know your own financial situation which is your business and only you can make those decisions.

Here's the thing to keep in mind as you move forward. You already stated that there are family members who have reached the more advanced classes of MPB and so your lifelong planning has to take that into consideration. Hopefully the meds will continue to be efficient but you are still young and no one can predict how long they will work for you. So we have to plan as if we are going to lose as much hair as the other men within our family profiles.

Low dose finasteride and minoxidil really won't provide any efficiency for the frontal core where you are noticing the majority of your hair loss. And btw, using 10% minoxidil could have induced a higher level of shedding than say the 5% version that is normally recommended. I think what you are noticing in the frontal zone is an improvement in hair shaft diameter (caliber) which is a good thing in itself. So if you were continuing to experience too much shedding, then a lower strength minoxidil would be the recommendation.

1300 grafts in the frontal core will undoubtedly help to strengthen your hair line but as was already stated, you will progress with more loss in that zone behind those grafts and there will begin a noticeable thinning behind the transplanted area in the near future.

Trust me, you will want more surgery when this happens and then ask yourself, "Will I have the loan paid off by then?" If not, then you might start to create a snow balling effect because chances are, your future loss will also impact the temporal lobe areas and a larger potential recipient area to where you will need more grafts than even the first initial procedure.

Is your hair loss more recession in nature or does your frontal zone have noticeable diffusion of the hair shafts?

Glad to hear that you are not rushing into surgery. You have lots of time to research and especially in the selection of the surgeon who is right for you. I have found that most of the doctors who are previewed in high powered advertising and marketing sites are not necessarily the best choices. They just pay for the expensive promotions whereby the best docs get referrals and do not need to promote themselves with high powered marketing campaigns.

Again, keep up your research and things will fall into place for you. Good docs are worth the time and expense to travel to...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

As for the loan you know your personal commitments and with the base rate of interest being low you can get some decent rates out there currently. Taking out a loan obviously increases the overall cost of the surgery if it turns out to be a great success and you are happy then it will have been worth every penny. But if you end up not so happy and the density is not there as you were expecting and you need another session then what happens?

Or you loose more hair and need further work because the recession continues and the 1300 hairline grafts become isolated then what, another loan?

I had 3 very small ht's in 3 years around 400-500 grafts each time, ok it was a while back but the lesson is still relevant to learn from. I had money for the first one and then had to borrow from relatives for the second two. The results were terrible and whilst I was not on medication like you I lost more hair eventually to a Norwood 6. I gave up after the third HT partly because I realised that I was never going to solve my hair loss problem and I had run out of money.

Ok so that is a very grim reality of my situation back then but putting 1300 grafts into someone who had a high family level of hair loss at your age is likely to mean further surgeries. How the Doctor can say 10 years before you need anymore work is just guess work has he even been in this business 10 years to have past cases to refer to?

It seems to me that some clinics are quoting patients what they are conveniently able to transplant by fue in one day or what they think might suit the patients budget.

Propecia tends to work better in the mid scalp and crown but patients can still loose hair in the front. If your mid scalp and crown are solid with no signs of miniaturization yet then that would be a very positive sign but if you have any thinning behind the hairline just placing 1300 grafts I am not sure it is going to make you happy.

This is all speculation as I have not seen your photos but I would hate for you to have a small session and then require more work before you have even paid off the first loan.

You should research and visit other reputable clinics I am not saying the one you visited isn't but getting further opinions is valuable research.

It is more stressful to suffer hair loss in your twenties it is more likely when you are single and image is even more important and more of your friends and colleagues your age are not suffering with loss and you feel more the minority having to deal with this. That said loosing your hair in not a nice thing to experience at any age.

Your last paragraph was spot on and the questions you have raised are perfect ones to be asking yourself. Good luck with your research.

Thank you for your reply.

As the procedure is very expensive, at least ?6,000 for FUE I have no option but to take a loan. I do not mind this providing I get a good result as it will be worth it. I don’t want to be in a position where I receive a terrible FUE with low density for example or that I’ll require another FUE not long after. I do understand it’s probably inevitable I’ll require two FUE or even three but hopefully the time between them is a long one. Long enough to at least repay the first loan. This is why I am not going to rush into it. A clinic has been ringing me several times but I will hold out until I am happy with the doctor, clinic, the procedure and I understand my own genetics with it comes to balding.

How do I establish when is the right time for surgery? That’s a question I am finding difficult to answer. I have looked at my family hair loss and it is has affected most males including my father, grandfather, uncles and cousins, however the degree of hair loss varies. I’m only 26 and probably at a Norwood III and started to take Propecia and Minioxidil about a year ago. Hair loss has stabilised after an initial shred. I’ve not had any more hair loss – I don’t really notice any on my bed pillow etc anymore unlike previous I started taking meds. My hair line seems to be the same as it was 12 months ago too. So I’ve obviously responded well to medication. Question is, how long do I wait until I am sure it’ll be stable for medium to long term?

“It seems to me that some clinics are quoting patients what they are conveniently able to transplant by fue in one day or what they think might suit the patients budget. “ In that case I’ll compare and contrast various surgeons and opinions and then ask them why they’re all quoting me different number of grafts. Judging by other people’s hair transplants on this website, 1,300 does seem right for my hair loss level. I will put pics up soon as I can so people can see my hair line.

“Propecia tends to work better in the mid scalp and crown but patients can still loose hair in the front. If your mid scalp and crown are solid with no signs of miniaturization yet then that would be a very positive sign but if you have any thinning behind the hairline just placing 1300 grafts I am not sure it is going to make you happy.” Well I’ve taken Propecia for 1 year now and not had any more shredding since the initial shred I had at the beginning. I’d argue that’s a positive response from Propecia but I can’t guarantee how long that’ll last. I will upload photos so you can see my hair line. I would appreciate your feedback. I really don’t want to be in a position of having many procures. Ideally I’d love just to have one and stay on Propecia but I know this is unlikely and I’ll need another procedure. I want to be realistic about this but I also want a sustainable hair line. If I was 60 I wouldn’t care but because I am only 26, having a hair line is very high is a high priority.

Thanks again for your reply, it’s much appreciated and encourages me to think about this deeply so I can make the right decision.

Garageland made some very good and valid points.

The whole thing in making a decision to borrow money is so ambiguous between individuals. The real issue is, "Will the new loan obligation put a significant strain on your budget?" and also, "If your employment situation was to change for the worse, would you still be able to meet that obligation?" It does not sound like you are putting yourself in a dire situation yet you know your own financial situation which is your business and only you can make those decisions.

Here's the thing to keep in mind as you move forward. You already stated that there are family members who have reached the more advanced classes of MPB and so your lifelong planning has to take that into consideration. Hopefully the meds will continue to be efficient but you are still young and no one can predict how long they will work for you. So we have to plan as if we are going to lose as much hair as the other men within our family profiles.

Low dose finasteride and minoxidil really won't provide any efficiency for the frontal core where you are noticing the majority of your hair loss. And btw, using 10% minoxidil could have induced a higher level of shedding than say the 5% version that is normally recommended. I think what you are noticing in the frontal zone is an improvement in hair shaft diameter (caliber) which is a good thing in itself. So if you were continuing to experience too much shedding, then a lower strength minoxidil would be the recommendation.

1300 grafts in the frontal core will undoubtedly help to strengthen your hair line but as was already stated, you will progress with more loss in that zone behind those grafts and there will begin a noticeable thinning behind the transplanted area in the near future.

Trust me, you will want more surgery when this happens and then ask yourself, "Will I have the loan paid off by then?" If not, then you might start to create a snow balling effect because chances are, your future loss will also impact the temporal lobe areas and a larger potential recipient area to where you will need more grafts than even the first initial procedure.

Is your hair loss more recession in nature or does your frontal zone have noticeable diffusion of the hair shafts?

Glad to hear that you are not rushing into surgery. You have lots of time to research and especially in the selection of the surgeon who is right for you. I have found that most of the doctors who are previewed in high powered advertising and marketing sites are not necessarily the best choices. They just pay for the expensive promotions whereby the best docs get referrals and do not need to promote themselves with high powered marketing campaigns.

Again, keep up your research and things will fall into place for you. Good docs are worth the time and expense to travel to...;)

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Getting a loan for this isn’t ideal but if I prioritise what I spend in life, I would rather pay X amount a, month to ensure I have a head lien then spending that amount of money – I prioritise a hair line very highly. I would be OK repaying off the loan, I can’t foresee any problems there, and however, what worries me is that I may require another procedure whilst still repaying the first loan – that would be a terrible situation to be in.

It looks likely I could have advanced hair loss, I started early and many family members have this. However, I’ve responded well to medication, so far. Therefore, I am a good candidate for FUE right now? Or should I wait longer? This is what’s currently going through my head. I am prepared to wait but don’t want to wait too long because I am young and I really don’t want this hanging over me. I want to sort it out.

“Low dose finasteride and minoxidil really won't provide any efficiency for the frontal core where you are noticing the majority of your hair loss. And btw, using 10% minoxidil could have induced a higher level of shedding than say the 5% version that is normally recommended. I think what you are noticing in the frontal zone is an improvement in hair shaft diameter (caliber) which is a good thing in itself. So if you were continuing to experience too much shedding, then a lower strength minoxidil would be the recommendation.” I am currently taking 1mg Propecia and 10% minoxidil, provided by a clinic in London. Is 1mg of Propecia/fin low dosage? I was under the impression that’s the amount you need per day. You may be right about 10% minoxidil inducing the initial shredding I encountered but it does appear to have stopped now and my hair line has been stable now for about 10 months. I am looking to see if I can get my meds cheaper than what I am currently paying. If being on 5% is no different than 10% of course, I am prepared to change but I am worried about experiencing another shred.

“1300 grafts in the frontal core will undoubtedly help to strengthen your hair line but as was already stated, you will progress with more loss in that zone behind those grafts and there will begin a noticeable thinning behind the transplanted area in the near future.” Indeed, this is what I am thinking about. I have stabilised so I could be a good candidate for FUE 1,300 grafts right now. However, what happens in the future with meds and genetic hair loss – it’s really hard to predict. I guess when I do eventually have a FUE for how many grafts that will be will essentially be luck.

“Trust me, you will want more surgery when this happens and then ask yourself, "Will I have the loan paid off by then?" If not, then you might start to create a snow balling effect because chances are, your future loss will also impact the temporal lobe areas and a larger potential recipient area to where you will need more grafts than even the first initial procedure.” So how long do I wait? This is the burning question which I’m not sure what the answer is or if there is an answer to it as we can’t predict biology.

“Is your hair loss more recession in nature or does your frontal zone have noticeable diffusion of the hair shafts?” What do you mean by this? I’m sorry.

“Glad to hear that you are not rushing into surgery. You have lots of time to research and especially in the selection of the surgeon who is right for you. I have found that most of the doctors who are previewed in high powered advertising and marketing sites are not necessarily the best choices. They just pay for the expensive promotions whereby the best docs get referrals and do not need to promote themselves with high powered marketing campaigns.

Again, keep up your research and things will fall into place for you. Good docs are worth the time and expense to travel to...

Thanks pal, I’m definitely going to take my time and I intend on seeing many surgeons/clinics and getting as much advice on here as possible. It needs to feel right and it currently doesn’t, hence why I am not going for surgery yet. I’m sure I’ll find the right surgeon, someone who I can trust and will do a good job. I look forward to it very much.

You make a good point about the loan balance because based on the payment amount, it appears that there would be a sizeable balance by the time you would want or need another procedure. You could always increase the payment amount along the way to shorten the loan term however.

Well anyways, this is your private business and decisions. And it's good to see that you are thinking everything through.

My first procedure was roughly 900 grafts, the second one was 1200 grafts, all of them to the frontal zone and was loosing in the similar pattern that you are.

I wore hair systems for 11 years and finally felt freed from them once and for all!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
On 9/1/2014 at 4:09 AM, n2se5 said:

I asked the doctor how likely it was I'll need further surgery in the future. He said I probably would but in about 10 years time. How is he able to predict this?

Nobody can really predict this, but you're asking him to take a guess, so he is. It could be his honest opinion, but also be aware that if he tells you 2 or 3 years, then you probably won't go through with it now knowing that you'll have to spend more so soon. If he tells you 10 years, then it's more likely that you will do it now (or soon) if you feel it will last 10 years or more. Just something to think about.

To answer your question on getting a loan. I would try to save up enough to at least be able to pay a good portion of it up front and then only need a loan for the remainder. I don't know how banks and credit works in the UK, but in the USA if you have good credit there are plenty of banks that will give you a credit card with an introductory offer of no interest for the first 12 to 18 months. This will allow you to get the loan and take a year to pay it off without paying more than the cost of the transplant. Just be sure you can pay off the balance in the time frame that there will be no interest.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 8/25/2014 at 8:44 AM, n2se5 said:

I've been taking Propecia (1mg a day) and 10% minoxidil for 10 months now and results have been mixed. I experienced some significant shredding during the initial stages but it did stop and my receding hair line hasn't moved since. So I think I can safely say the medication has halted the receding process. I don't think I have experienced much regrowth although there might be a small area of the headline where the hair appears to be thicker. I use toppik to cover my receding hairline, I believe I am at Norwood III.

I've come to the conclusion that I won't have any more regrowth as it's approaching a year now. My hair has stabilised and I don't think I've had any more shredding but I desperately want my hair line back again. I am currently 26 and started receding around 22 years old, male pattern baldness runs in my family and I think one of my brothers who is only 20 is balding already.

I am seriously thinking about getting a HT, although FUE type because I want to have my hair short at the back and sides and long (lengthy) at the top. However, I don't have the money for it at the moment so I was thinking about getting a loan. I have had a loan before and repaid it so I know I can do this.

I was quoted ?6,500 for FUE (1300 grafts). The clinic I received my consultation from has appeared in the media and has performed surgery on many celebs.I still don't know if that particular clinic is right for me. As I am taking out a loan, I have to be sure the clinic and procedure is right for me.

Has anyone else taken out a loan for a hair transplant? I really want my hair line back so badly. Another thing that is on my mind is having to have another hair transplant in the future. How common is this? I have read many celebs like Wayne Rooney and Calum Best having two procedures although apparently this is because they didn't take Propecia and minoxidil. I am pretty stressed about this at the moment. The world of HT is very confusing. I really wish I didn't have to go through this but if I want my hair back, I don't have any other option.

Anyone have any thoughts which could help me come to a decision?

Many thanks.

Let's take it slow and one thing at a time.....

Typically you'll see the most results, (from medical therapy - like Propecia), in 12+ months.

There are two types of loss.  Shedding is normal. The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it takes a vacation.  Eventually, in a matter of a few months, the hair starts growing again.

Miniaturizing is the second type of loss.  This is the type you don't see.  The shaft of the hair changes, gets thinner, does not grow as well and eventually dissipates. So, if you saw shedding, that's normal.  Most believe 100 hairs a day is normal.

The medication does not regrow anything.  It can thicken the miniaturized hair.  Some believe this is regrowth, but it isn't. 

The goal of all medications is to help retain.  If you look the same a year from now, the medication did what it was supposed to do.  A small percentage of patients do get enhancement.  If so, take it for as long as you live because you would be considered a great responder.

With regards to transplants and loans...First PLEASE do tons of research.  Look at photos of results and try to find cases similar to your own.  Do several consultations.

With regards to the loan....What stage do you find yourself in?  Are you about to get married, have kids, etc? I think we all have different responsibilities.  If you are single, unattached and have no one to report to, I would consider your transplants now.  At 26 there is a certain level of maturity so that should not be an issue.  Why not keep up with your youthfulness?  

1300 at $6500....For some reason this bothers me.  Less than $3? for FUE?  Why are they giving it away?  Again, do the research.

THE BORROWER IS SLAVE TO THE LENDER.  Simple answer is to save until you can pay cash.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators

I hate when old threads are bumped by spammers. They are getting more clever hyper linking sites and changing the font and color so it's harder to see. Guys, when you see someone bump a 5 year old thread with any links, please report those posts to me ASAP.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators
On 8/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I hate when old threads are bumped by spammers. They are getting more clever hyper linking sites and changing the font and color so it's harder to see. Guys, when you see someone bump a 5 year old thread with any links, please report those posts to me ASAP.

Sorry Melvin. I didn't notice.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Crap 2014, I didn't even look.  On the bright side his transplant should be paid off my now.

• Haha 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators
18 hours ago, Westview said:

Lots of people have gotten loans for hair transplants.

Some clinics even offer financing

Most clinics offer financing through third parties. Care credit is a big one.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If you have to borrow, try your credit union first because they usually have the best rates unless you happen to have a zero interest credit card...there are community based credit unions that anyone can join as well.

Third party lenders usually have extremely high interest rates.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Proven reputation is everything!

Gillenator