Do all people who have transplants experience some degree of shedding or shock loss?

I have read that some people say they experience next to no shedding or shock loss and how some people really lost a lot. Some people even share horror stories of how they experienced severe shock loss that was permanent. I know that if the hair that was taken from their donor area was already miniature hair that was thinning then it doesn't respond well to the DHT and falls out. What I don't understand is that doctors explain that the hair is taken from the back of the head because the hair in this area never falls out or they say that you never lose the hair in the back? So if this is the case...then how can someone experience permanent shock loss if the hair was taken from that area? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but it just seems contradictory to me. I hope the experts on here can clarify this for me.

Hair does "fall out" in the permanent zone at the back of the head, but the follicles are "immune" to DHT, so remain healthy. The shedding of hair shafts by heathy follicles is part of the normal cycle or hair growth. When follicles become miniaturized they lose the ability to produce healthy hair, and so at some point they become so small that they stop producing hair after natural shedding.

When hairs are taken from the permanent zone and transplanted, hairs can continue to grow. Around 50% of mine are 5 weeks after. However, usually most of the follicles go into a 'rest' phase after the trauma of transplantation. They naturally shed the hair and the growth cycle starts again in a few more weeks. This is normal and should be expected with every transplant.

"shock loss" to me means that native hair is lost in the recipient zone because of the trauma associated with transplanting follicles near by. This may happen also in the donor region for similar reasons. I imagine that this would occur easier in miniaturized hairs, so could be permanent. But these would be lost anyway. This is why finasteride is recommended for 6 months-1year before a procedure, to minimize shock loss.

Hair does "fall out" in the permanent zone at the back of the head, but the follicles are "immune" to DHT, so remain healthy. The shedding of hair shafts by heathy follicles is part of the normal cycle or hair growth. When follicles become miniaturized they lose the ability to produce healthy hair, and so at some point they become so small that they stop producing hair after natural shedding.

When hairs are taken from the permanent zone and transplanted, hairs can continue to grow. Around 50% of mine are 5 weeks after. However, usually most of the follicles go into a 'rest' phase after the trauma of transplantation. They naturally shed the hair and the growth cycle starts again in a few more weeks. This is normal and should be expected with every transplant.

"shock loss" to me means that native hair is lost in the recipient zone because of the trauma associated with transplanting follicles near by. This may happen also in the donor region for similar reasons. I imagine that this would occur easier in miniaturized hairs, so could be permanent. But these would be lost anyway. This is why finasteride is recommended for 6 months-1year before a procedure, to minimize shock loss.

Well I haven't taken any finasteride ever and now I'm worried that I will experience severe shock loss because of this? I'm not stressing out because any stress would probably make things worse, but really hoping I get just the shedding and not the shock loss and if so, temporary shock loss. Besides taking finasteride, what else can one do to help prevent permanent shock loss? I have been strictly following all my post op guidelines Dr. Meshkin provided me with.

Well I haven't taken any finasteride ever and now I'm worried that I will experience severe shock loss because of this? I'm not stressing out because any stress would probably make things worse, but really hoping I get just the shedding and not the shock loss and if so, temporary shock loss. Besides taking finasteride, what else can one do to help prevent permanent shock loss? I have been strictly following all my post op guidelines Dr. Meshkin provided me with.

Why haven't you taken finasteride? I personally think a HT will be wasted unless using finasteride. Finateride is the only medically proven drug to halt/prevent hair loss.

Well I have read about finasteride and not all the side effects sound good. I also heard that once you stop taking it, your hair will usually go right back to its original thinning state? There must have been some people that have had an HT without taking finasteride that had good results? I don't mind if I continue to lose the hair that is thinning and going to fall out anyway. I just hope that the new transplanted hair doesn't fall out just because I'm not taking finasteride? I don't mind getting another HT in the future if I need to. I would just rather stay away from having to take medication everyday for long term. I know this might seem strange to most people, but there must people others on here that also don't want to take medication all the time right?

I do plan to take Rogaine foam (for men) to apply to the thinning areas.

Edited by nervousguy

You're scared to try finasteride because you read about some side

effects?

Seriously pretty much every drug in the world will have side

effects for a small percentage of people, that doesn't mean it's the

norm. At least try it for yourself with an open mind, that means not looking out

for the first sign of anything strange to blame on propecia and then

give it up.

I've no doubt some people genuinely suffer from bad sides

but I also think some people are too quick to blame natural life events

on these drugs as well.

FUT with Dr. Konior in 2014 - 3814 grafts - Thread

FUE with Dr. Pinto in May 2022 - 3252 grafts

Hey nervous guy,

Im one of those people looking to steer clear of finasteride as well and am also looking into getting a HT. The risk of suffering a side is low, and the risk of a permanent side effect is exponentially lower, but for me is not worth taking that risk. Theres also the questionable effects of finasteride on prostate cancer which is important for me given my family history.

Can I run something past you all......Im looking at transplanting hair into an area with basically next to no native hairs left. Is shock loss now basically a non issue? Is it only the hairs in really close vicinity to the recipient area that experience shock loss?

Hey nervous guy,

Im one of those people looking to steer clear of finasteride as well and am also looking into getting a HT. The risk of suffering a side is low, and the risk of a permanent side effect is exponentially lower, but for me is not worth taking that risk. Theres also the questionable effects of finasteride on prostate cancer which is important for me given my family history.

Can I run something past you all......Im looking at transplanting hair into an area with basically next to no native hairs left. Is shock loss now basically a non issue? Is it only the hairs in really close vicinity to the recipient area that experience shock loss?

Yes I agree. There is a history of bladder cancer and cancer in general in my family, so I'm hesitant about taking finasteride. I know that a low percentage of people suffer serious long-term effects, but it is still a concern of mine.

Hey nervous guy,

Everyone's different, but for me I lost like 99% of the transplanted hair and to about 1cm into the hairline it connected to I lost maybe 5-10% from shockloss. It was enough to notice more hair falling out but wasn't really visible at all...

Had shock loss at the donor though.

Everyone's different, but for me I lost like 99% of the transplanted hair and to about 1cm into the hairline it connected to I lost maybe 5-10% from shockloss. It was enough to notice more hair falling out but wasn't really visible at all...

Had shock loss at the donor though.

Ok, well that sounds really creepy. Did the 99% of your transplanted hair grow back or was this permanent shock loss? How long after your HT did the shockloss happen and all the hair fell out at once? Did the shock loss at the donor area also grow back?

It sounds like you are saying 99% fell out temporarily and then you permanently lost about 5-10%?

i know this may not be the scientific answer you're looking for, but since you are a "nervousguy" your forehead may be strained out of your nervousness. I'd ask my doctor for Valium, Xanax or Clonazapam some type of Benzodiazepam that will calm you down. When you are naturally nervous, that puts a strain on your forehead & tightens it up and thus causes the follicle to get narrow.

u also don't want to wear baseball caps since they constrict the forehead & cause the follicles strain, too & narrow up.

i don't believe losing your hair out of worry is an old wives tail, there's a lot of truth to it, because of the above reasons I mentioned.

i know i have slight anxiety.

Ok, well that sounds really creepy. Did the 99% of your transplanted hair grow back or was this permanent shock loss? How long after your HT did the shockloss happen and all the hair fell out at once? Did the shock loss at the donor area also grow back?

It sounds like you are saying 99% fell out temporarily and then you permanently lost about 5-10%?

I'm still one week from 3 months post op so I haven't had too much in terms of regrowth to find out.

The transplanted hair is meant to mostly shed, so it seems basically normal. The 1% that didn't shed out just continued growing the hair around the donor and hairline should grow back.

So it's just like temporary shedding

I'm still one week from 3 months post op so I haven't had too much in terms of regrowth to find out.

The transplanted hair is meant to mostly shed, so it seems basically normal. The 1% that didn't shed out just continued growing the hair around the donor and hairline should grow back.

So it's just like temporary shedding

Ok, so when did this shock loss or shedding begin? Did it all fall out at once or was it a gradual process?

Worse case scenario of course, would be if none of the transplanted hair regrew, but like you said...the process is most likely natural as the hair is going through another growth cycle.

I had my hair transplant just about 2 weeks ago, so the transplanted hair now has the illusion that it will not fall out and continue to grow.

i know this may not be the scientific answer you're looking for, but since you are a "nervousguy" your forehead may be strained out of your nervousness. I'd ask my doctor for Valium, Xanax or Clonazapam some type of Benzodiazepam that will calm you down. When you are naturally nervous, that puts a strain on your forehead & tightens it up and thus causes the follicle to get narrow.

u also don't want to wear baseball caps since they constrict the forehead & cause the follicles strain, too & narrow up.

i don't believe losing your hair out of worry is an old wives tail, there's a lot of truth to it, because of the above reasons I mentioned.

i know i have slight anxiety.

Yeah, I have slight anxiety. Don't let my name fool you though. My anxiety isn't out of control, but I do agree with you about how constant anxiety can effect strain on the head. I have been more relaxed lately. I just hope that I don't suffer severe permanent shock loss.

Week 3 was when most of the shedding happened for me, but that's also when I got more aggressive with shampooing and rubbing the recipient a little, so I think it was mainly just dislodging the already gone hairs.

Oh I see. Yeah, I will go in for my 2 week post op checkup this Monday and I will talk with my doctor. I'm sure based on seeing how my head looks now, that he might have some idea what I might expect in the next coming months. Well, I hope so at least.

Maybe if I get a little more aggressive with shampooing week 3 and all my hair don't start falling out, then I might take it as a good sign. I will also keep in mind that my shock loss or shedding could just happen later than it did with you.

Are you currently using finasteride and minoxidil? Did you use these medications before your transplant?