Joe Tillman Now Representing Rahal

First, I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to send me well wishes. It is greatly appreciated.

The decision to leave Vancouver behind was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. This is not an embellishment. I had a major emotional investment in HW because of where I started and where I wound up. I have 11 years of many fantastic memories that I will forever cherish. Dr. Wong in particular is a true gentleman and I'll always be thankful for his work and his friendship. No one will ever take this away and certainly it will not ever be denied no matter where my path leads. My departure is irrelevant to the quality of work being performed there and that too should not be in question. More so, this move was not about the "yield" of the Canadian dollar. If a dollar was all I were after I'd be at a national chain wearing a white coat selling lasers and serums. I find this insinuation insulting and nothing more than an easy cheap shot.

Over the past few years I've made note of the advances in FUE as the benefits are undeniable. I don't think I need to state why and this is why I stopped being what some would label as "anti-FUE". I realized that I could not in good conscience slam a technique that was obviously making many patients very happy and to do so would be self serving if not ignorant. I am neither. I have however always argued certain points regarding FUE vs. FUT and I still hold some of those views which can be discussed at a different time but for me to offer FUE is not a sudden switch in spirit but rather in practice as I could not offer something that I had no access to. I've complimented and posted about FUE in a positive light MANY times and I certainly have not been "anti-FUE" for quite a long time. My posting history will support this and some posters in this thread have acknowledged that I've been supportive of their FUE research and/or procedure. This does not mean that I think the procedure is perfect and that it is all things to all people as it is not. Some people are not good candidates for FUE but so is the case for FUT. I've never said anything to the contrary.

The reason why I joined Rahal is simple. I have had the opportunity to work for various clinics over the years but it was Rahal that made sense to me; a LOT of sense. Rahal is performing outstanding FUE and from what I've seen I believe that Rahal is the premiere FUE provider in North America and offers a direct challenge to the established leaders in the field, anywhere. Did I mention that Rahal does not use flash for photo documentation? I had my suspicions at one point but now I know for a fact that flash is not used. Combined with his stellar reputation for hairline design, true mega-sessions for the right patient and a proven record of high density, it should be an absolute no-brainer to come aboard. The problem was, it wasn't a no-brainer because as stated above the decision to leave HW was terribly difficult but in the end I made the decision that I felt was best for me.

And hairfarmer79, when you talk about how my "silence is deafening" take a moment to consider the fact that I don't have a lot of time to respond to personal postings, especially silly ones that try to question my integrity. As you obviously know, I did just start a new job so I've been a little busy.

To everyone else, I appreciate the comments that I've always been "unbiased" but I feel I need to be clear. I am NOT unbiased as I have always given my opinion based on what I know from my own experiences and what I observe. This is the case for everyone that works in the industry and even patients that do not work in this industry. I prefer to use the term "fair" when I give my advice because in the end, that's all that my advice can and should be.

Again, thank you to those that have stated their support.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post Joe. Will you be physically located in the Ottawa office and working full time for Rahal as a patient advisor or remaining in VC and serving only as his online rep?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Congrats Joe!

I am sure I have posted this before, but Joe has provided me with so much information about HT's that I am very grateful. He has taken the time to get to know my case and provide valuable feedback on what my options were. I made a visit to the H&W clinic years ago and hung out with Joe afterward where we discussed HT's even further. He always offered his opinion and he put me at ease that HT's were really a good solution. I ultimately went with Dr. Rahal and Joe was still super supportive which a real HT friend should be. He was really happy I obtained the result I wanted. I am super excited to see what Joe can bring to Dr. Rahal's practice as he was unbelievably successful working with H&W and providing our community with a wealth of knowledge and unbelievable photo documentation of their results.

Good luck Joe and can't wait for your future posts!!!

What a shocking news! After 10 years with H&W, you have finally changed the clinic. You will now have chance to be involved in the great FUE industry instead of directing them to Dr. Lorenzo. Although I'm not in good terms with Rahal based on my last surgery back in 2011 however all what I can say that he is damn lucky to have you as a representative. I'm very happy for you and you were are and will always be my hair loss mentor. Hope you could solve ARTAS FUE yield issues and introduce BHT in the clinic to bring Rahal to another level.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Didn't realize there were two threads created by Jotronic. Am reposting my message here too and would like to know if Jotronic did not see Rahal's results late last year when he made this post on his blog in November 2013. I am very surprised at this news as Jotronic seemed very adamant about strip a few months ago and I rarely saw his mentioning FUE as a good alternative. I for one find it hard to believe him hereon. From Jotronic's own website blog entry from November 2013 I quote:

"There was a mix of results being shown at the conference. Many FUE results were shown, some of which were ARTAS results. There were some eyebrow results shown as well and even a hairline lowering procedure which looked really good. In my opinion however the FUE results did not match the strip results and Dr. Jerry Cooley was the only other attendee that was showing a result that I felt was worth showing and it was, unsurprisingly, a strip result; about 3100 grafts to the crown. This is unfortunate regarding the FUE results because I recognize the procedure as being a permanent and growing fixture in the field. The showing of FUE results clarified one thing for me however and that is that a lot of doctors in this industry just don’t get it. They have no problem sacrificing quality in order to cater to the perceived public opinion. Keep in mind that this patient viewing session to share results is supposed to be an opportunity to show off in front of your peers. It is an opportunity to say, “look what I can do”. If the results shown are supposed to be “showcase” type of results then the overall quality of results in general is heading backward. The two areas where the majority of the doctors were swarming was around Dr. Cooley’s result and those of Dr. Wong. These two had the most impressive cosmetic results by far and more than one doctor that was viewing the results told me that Dr. Won’gs presentation was by far the best of the bunch."

Edited by Kilimanjaro

It's people like Jotronic that make choosing the right clinic a veritable minefield.

His cheer squad can say all they want it won’t change what is the bleeding obvious. His views have seemingly switched over night so you’re kidding yourselves to suggest it’s because of the advancements in FUE. Advancements don’t happen overnight, they happen over a long period of time.

Jotronic Quote;

“Hasson & Wong Hair Transplants. I may sound biased, but I was a patient of Doctor Wong’s prior to becoming a hair transplant patient educator for Hasson & Wong. Hasson & Wong is with no doubt the best clinic on the planet, which—unless there are hair transplant clinics on Melchior 5—makes them the best clinic in the known universe” - Jotronic Hair Transplant Mentor.com

http://hairtransplantmentor.com/hair-loss-resources/

He has encouraged and sold people into Hasson and Wong procedures on the premise that they are “THE BEST IN THE WORLD”.

Clearly Hasson and Wong are very skilled surgeons whose work speaks for itself but to endorse it under such strong beliefs only to ditch those beliefs overnight beggars belief.

As far as the helping and guiding people as a “mentor” have you ever actually considered it was also motivated by self-promotion as far as marketing himself as a hair replacement expert for career advancement?

Surgical Hair Replacement procedures are as the name suggests 'surgical' so it’s not something to be taken lightly. It’s not like selling someone a bread maker in a bargain basement sale.

This forum is supposed to help and guide people in the right direction.

People have vulnerabilities because hair-loss effects some people very severely. There are far too many people in the industry who prey on those vulnerabilities and it’s stained the industry as a result.

I’m not suggesting Mr Tillman is one of those people by any means but it does not excuse the fact he has been referring and selling people into procedures, including repairs which makes it even more serious.

That is inexcusable under those circumstances because repairs are people who are truly effected the most and are desperately trying to find someone to trust.

"I’m not suggesting Mr Tillman is one of those people by any means...."

Really? It's certainly not coming across that way: "It's people like Jotronic that make choosing the right clinic a veritable minefield."

You guys are acting like Joe has suddenly denounced strip and gone with a FUE-only doctor. Rahal does offer both and as far as I can tell Joe still believes strip is a necessary hair restoration method.

The smear campaign is a bit much and your referring to dedicated forum members simply as a "cheer squad" I find demeaning.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

"I’m not suggesting Mr Tillman is one of those people by any means...."

Really? It's certainly not coming across that way: "It's people like Jotronic that make choosing the right clinic a veritable minefield."

You guys are acting like Joe has suddenly denounced strip and gone with a FUE-only doctor. Rahal does offer both and as far as I can tell Joe still believes strip is a necessary hair restoration method.

The smear campaign is a bit much and your referring to dedicated forum members simply as a "cheer squad" I find demeaning.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Congratulations Joe!

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Both good questions. I'd be interested to hear the answer on this also.

I'm no expert but if I was to to take a guess. It may be subject to what 'yields' the most Canadian dollars.

Wait a minute haven't we had this all before ? Well known online mentor suddenly changes his stance and goes to work for another clinic after being vehemently against large FUE sessions?

Give me a break! :rolleyes:

The smear campaign is a bit much.

A bit much?

It's ridiculous.

Some of the close-minded "FUE Nazi's" that think it's "us against the world"

are out in full force in an obvious attempt to smear, demean, and destroy Joe.

In my opinion it relates to the fact they don't like and just can not accept/comprehend

that rational people can study an issue like FUT vs FUE and just honestly come to a different conclusion.

They imply some people that prefer FUT have an ulterior

motive, that it can't be just an honest educated different conclusion.

So now they are carrying out a "pay back" against Joe

because he worked at probably the top FUT clinic in

the world and of course advocated what his employer offered.

OMG....who's ever heard of something so sinister? :rolleyes:

Is a guy that sells Mercedes and switches to selling Lexus

to be demonized as a liar, crook, dishonest snake oil salesman?

It's a joke...

but not totally unexpected by the arrogant "FUE is the ONLY way" crowd!

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

A bit much?

It's ridiculous.

Some of the close-minded "FUE Nazi's" that think it's "us against the world"

are out in full force in an obvious attempt to smear, demean, and destroy Joe.

In my opinion it relates to the fact they don't like and just can not accept/comprehend

that rational people can study an issue like FUT vs FUE and just honestly come to a different conclusion.

They imply some people that prefer FUT have an ulterior

motive, that it can't be just an honest educated different conclusion.

So now they are carrying out a "pay back" against Joe

because he worked at probably the top FUT clinic in

the world and of course advocated what his employer offered.

OMG....who's ever heard of something so sinister? :rolleyes:

Is a guy that sells Mercedes and switches to selling Lexus

to be demonized as a liar, crook, dishonest snake oil salesman?

It's a joke...

but not totally unexpected by the arrogant "FUE is the ONLY way" crowd!

Agree 100%!!!!

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

First of all congratulations Joe on your new position representing Dr Rahal.

I was incredibly shocked to hear the news as to me Joe was “Hasson & Wong”. He was the face of the company and a prized asset that made a major contribution to help the clinic reach the heights and stature it holds today of being a world leading clinic. Dr Rahal is very fortunate to have him on board as he recognises his reputation and expertise that would ultimately allow him to work for any clinic of his choice.

I did expect him to become a target with certain comments by a subset of people as soon as the news broke and I wasn’t proved wrong.

Fue has been around approximately 12 years. On the other hand FUT has been around a lot, lot longer. It has taken a considerable amount of time for strip surgery to reach the level of high standard it has today.

If you extrapolated the same time frame of FUT for FUE, it was inevitable that as the surgeons whom chose to purse Fue earlier on became more adept and experienced at this more technical procedure, it would evolve to the level of FUT which it most definitely has and if not already in some people eyes surpassed.

I was not around on here in the early to mid 2000's, but I am guessing there would have been people forming the same arguments early on that it should replace strip altogether. The trouble is back then there was no proof in the pudding. It is a lot easier to market and manipulate by misleading people about the scarring aspect but it has taken nearly this long for the larger size sessions to become not only consistent of a good standard but to match the level of consistency and the absolute level of result obtained through gold standard strip. I in the past did not feel they did. This forum itself was labelled a “strip forum” for a while. I never held that belief. Fue had not evolved to the point where it could be put on the same platform and they probably held back which I believe was the right decision but I think now it can and should be. It should not be relegated to small procedures.

Now it is unquestionable that a small group of surgeons in recent times are now matching strip in some aspects that were labelled as a flaw of the procedure in the past. The trouble is and still is that in general, you are likely to get a better result through strip as there are so few surgeons around that currently have the experience and ability to match it. Those that have are regularly mentioned and I am sure they are reaping the rewards with ever increasing waiting lists for their services.

The industry is going in the direction I thought it would towards Fue with strip becoming less prominent. I do not feel it should become obsolete because every patient is unique in their requirements, there is no one size fits all and they both have their positives and negatives. In another five years time, the procedure again will be taken to the next level and who knows what the future holds. If hair multiplication came about, traditional Fue itself will be relegated itself. J

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Reading all your posts, and I cannot for the life of me understand what you are ranting and raving about. I'm still not quite sure what your issue is. You say one thing then contradict yourself several times within the same passage.

What is wrong with Joe saying that H&W were the best in the world? At one point, they probably were the best in the world, and so that statement would have been true. If H&W were a back alley butcher type of operation, then I can see why promoting them would be reprehensible. For any of your comments to make any sense logically, there would have to be people who have been clearly taken advantage of or damaged. Your issue apparently only has to do with Joe and not with the practice itself. I don't understand the virulent personal attack on him, and for that matter, not being able to even site specific examples of how he has "wronged" patients.

It's people like Jotronic that make choosing the right clinic a veritable minefield.

His cheer squad can say all they want it won’t change what is the bleeding obvious. His views have seemingly switched over night so you’re kidding yourselves to suggest it’s because of the advancements in FUE. Advancements don’t happen overnight, they happen over a long period of time.

Jotronic Quote;

“Hasson & Wong Hair Transplants. I may sound biased, but I was a patient of Doctor Wong’s prior to becoming a hair transplant patient educator for Hasson & Wong. Hasson & Wong is with no doubt the best clinic on the planet, which—unless there are hair transplant clinics on Melchior 5—makes them the best clinic in the known universe” - Jotronic Hair Transplant Mentor.com

http://hairtransplantmentor.com/hair-loss-resources/

He has encouraged and sold people into Hasson and Wong procedures on the premise that they are “THE BEST IN THE WORLD”.

Clearly Hasson and Wong are very skilled surgeons whose work speaks for itself but to endorse it under such strong beliefs only to ditch those beliefs overnight beggars belief.

As far as the helping and guiding people as a “mentor” have you ever actually considered it was also motivated by self-promotion as far as marketing himself as a hair replacement expert for career advancement?

Surgical Hair Replacement procedures are as the name suggests 'surgical' so it’s not something to be taken lightly. It’s not like selling someone a bread maker in a bargain basement sale.

This forum is supposed to help and guide people in the right direction.

People have vulnerabilities because hair-loss effects some people very severely. There are far too many people in the industry who prey on those vulnerabilities and it’s stained the industry as a result.

I’m not suggesting Mr Tillman is one of those people by any means but it does not excuse the fact he has been referring and selling people into procedures, including repairs which makes it even more serious.

That is inexcusable under those circumstances because repairs are people who are truly effected the most and are desperately trying to find someone to trust.

Edited by blahblah1982

Hi Kil,

Thank you for your post.

Am reposting my message here too and would like to know if Jotronic did not see Rahal's results late last year when he made this post on his blog in November 2013.

Dr. Rahal did not present last year at the conference so I did not see his work at that time.

I'll quote and reference each part that you highlighted in bold...

In my opinion however the FUE results did not match the strip result...

I stand by this quote. You may not realize it but there are a limited amount of results shown overall during the live patient viewing each year, maybe ten or twelve, but this was the part of the conference where several doctors are invited to present their best work or work that may be of interest to the membership on live patients. It was underwhelming.

Dr. Jerry Cooley was the only other attendee that was showing a result that I felt was worth showing and it was, unsurprisingly, a strip result

I included the entire statement above for context. It was very good crown work, better than the FUE presented.

The showing of FUE results clarified one thing for me however and that is that a lot of doctors in this industry just don’t get it. They have no problem sacrificing quality in order to cater to the perceived public opinion.

And I stand by this statement as well. There is a strange mentality among some of the doctors in the hair restoration field in that they feel that good enough is actually good enough. Of course “good enough” is relative but you should get the point.

What I also saw at this conference was an overwhelming amount of information being shared about, wait for it....FUE! Almost nothing on the program for the conference was about strip. If you do a search online for the program of the 2013 ISHRS Conference there is a list of activities, workshops and discussions. When you find the .pdf file of the program you can type and hold "Cntrl" and "F" if you are using a PC and search for the term "FUT". You'll get 12 results. Now do the same and type in "FUE". You'll get 78 results! Most of the 12 results for FUT were comparing FUT to FUE. This is one of the factors that sealed the deal for me. FUE was EVERYWHERE! FUE is not only here to stay, it is growing. I think I remember a statistic about FUE and this one was shocking. 2 new FUE clinics open each week. I'm absolutely positive there are no FUT clinics opening, at all. That is a damning statistic.

What I took away from the conference was that FUE was going to be the dominant form of hair restoration, and soon too, but what I also saw was that the results that people will be getting will be of lower quality because of so many amateur/experts getting involved. The field of hair restoration is moving backward with regard to quality but forward with regard to technique. Why? Because anyone with 100,000 dollars can buy a Neo thingy machine, get a weekend of training, hire a tech and a receptionist and start making bucks. This makes it easy for anyone to get into the field with ZERO experience and ZERO understanding of what natural looks like. If I wanted to, I could open my own clinic and all it NeoJoe Hair Restoration:) It is the experts, the doctors that have the experience and the real understanding of what it takes to make a natural result that will continue to stand out but the glut of rank amateurs jumping into the field because of the low startup costs will dominate the field because of sheer numbers. Today you can see more and more cosmetic surgeons that are more used to lips, boobs and tummy tucks jumping into the fray with FUE because they feel it is a logical adjunct to their current services and wish to add to their bottom line. The problem is that they do not specialize in hair and do not have the experience much less the artistic eye for hair.

This move was not a binary decision where I have turned against strip. Quite the opposite, I have embraced FUE publicly and still continue to support strip. Strip is the better choice for many patients and FUE is the better choice for many patients. I have never stated that strip is the total solution for everyone and I do not believe that FUE is the total solution for everyone

What I find odd is that when a strip clinic can see the advantages of FUE and start promoting it everyone gets excited but if a consultant does the same, independent of the clinic he is associated with, and moves on to a clinic that shares the same ideals then it's questionable. This is a massive double standard that defies logic.

I represented a wonderful clinic for eleven years but the last few years I noticed the tide turning. I could continue to beat my head against the wall trying to create change or I could choose to eventually move on to somewhere that change has not only already occurred but has been refined. I have chosen the latter.

So to summarize, I still support strip and feel it is the best option for many patients. I have not turned away from this option and will continue to recommend it for the right patient but FUE is on the table now and it will continue to grow in popularity with or without my support. By making the decision to move on to Rahal I can offer this second option with confidence.

I hope this better explains my position and I again thank all of those that have taken the time to support my decision.

I wasn't going to comment because what I'm about to say is common knowledge but can't read anything negative towards his character without responding. I've known Joe 14 years he helped me in my darkest days which don't even seem like the same life I'm living now and I've always known he had my personal interests at heart above business or anything which is so lucky for me given we're talking about a plight with so many charlatans.

Everthing he ever told me has always been great advice and worked out great for me even if the advice was ahead of its time. If he says Fue has made break throughs and has improved you can take that as fact he doesn't just dive head first into things he studies and learns them inside out before he recommends or supports that's a fact too.

The guy is a Ht legend and I want to thank you Joe for everything and I wish you all the best pal!!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Hi Kil,

So to summarize, I still support strip and feel it is the best option for many patients. I have not turned away from this option and will continue to recommend it for the right patient but FUE is on the table now and it will continue to grow in popularity with or without my support. By making the decision to move on to Rahal I can offer this second option with confidence.

First, Joe, congratulations on your new position. Dr. Rahal is lucky to have you on his team, and vice versa. It’s good to know that the members of this forum will continue to hear from you on a regular basis.

Regarding what you said above, given the current state of FUE technology and technique in the hands of a skilled physician such as Dr. Rahal, what in your view still would make strip the better option for a patient? In other words, what factors currently would lead you to recommend strip over FUE for a given patient?

Thanks!

First, Joe, congratulations on your new position. Dr. Rahal is lucky to have you on his team, and vice versa. It’s good to know that the members of this forum will continue to hear from you on a regular basis.

Regarding what you said above, given the current state of FUE technology and technique in the hands of a skilled physician such as Dr. Rahal, what in your view still would make strip the better option for a patient? In other words, what factors currently would lead you to recommend strip over FUE for a given patient?

Thanks!

I dont mean to answer for Joe but I believe the primary reason for strip over FUE these days is that the total lifetime grafts that can be harvested with strip is higher than FUE which is of course critical for high NW patients.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I wasn't going to comment because what I'm about to say is common knowledge but can't read anything negative towards his character without responding. I've known Joe 14 years he helped me in my darkest days which don't even seem like the same life I'm living now and I've always known he had my personal interests at heart above business or anything which is so lucky for me given we're talking about a plight with so many charlatans.

Everthing he ever told me has always been great advice and worked out great for me even if the advice was ahead of its time. If he says Fue has made break throughs and has improved you can take that as fact he doesn't just dive head first into things he studies and learns them inside out before he recommends or supports that's a fact too.

The guy is a Ht legend and I want to thank you Joe for everything and I wish you all the best pal!!

Bonkerstonker,

I really appreciate your post. Thank you my friend.

Reverse,

Yes, Chad is still with Rahal. We were hanging out together just the other day. He's a good guy.

Thanks!

Thanks, Pupdaddy. I appreciate your support. You ask a good question. The factors that would go into recommending FUT or FUE reflect the basic strengths and weakness of each procedure.

The basics are simple, if one does not want a linear scar, then FUT is out and FUE is in but if this is the procedure of choice there may be some limitations that the patient must accept. If the patient is a more advanced Norwood then it is more likely that FUE will require two passes to get a cosmetically acceptable result whereas FUT may only require one pass. This is subjective of course but you get the idea.

I think younger guys are also more geared for FUE because of the obviously different hairstyle needs that may come with youth. There are also some types of hair that do not respond well to FUE such as hair that has a strong curl to it. This too can be worked with but a larger punch may be necessary and this can defeat the purpose of FUE with larger dots that form as a result but to many this is still preferred to a linear scar.

If one is not concerned with a linear scar and the complications that may be a result or the limitations with hair length then FUT is a great choice. It obviously served me very well and I have no regrets whatsoever with my FUT experience. If I had to do it all over again I would still have chosen FUT over FUE. However, as I've said in the past under my former account name, had FUE been available in early 2002 as it is today I probably would have gone for removal of my old mini-grafts and become a head shaver. This is not a regret, it simply reflects the reality of what may have been my path had FUE been available to me 12 years ago.

I hope this answers your question.

There are also some types of hair that do not respond well to FUE such as hair that has a strong curl to it. This too can be worked with but a larger punch may be necessary and this can defeat the purpose of FUE with larger dots that form as a result but to many this is still preferred to a linear scar.

Joe,

First I want to say that I have enjoyed your posts on this forum and you have provided me with tons of information and I thank you. The bold portion of your above answer is something that I was not aware of. So it's safe to say that if your natural hair resembles the pic of Slash below, then FUT is the way to go? Why is it that curly hair does not respond well to FUE?

Thanks

slash1.jpg

Nm, not 100% certain, but I think curly hair is tougher because the root is not straight making extraction more unpredictable and therefore difficult. The other issue with FUE not mentioned is that it's average cost is prohibitive for a lot of folks.

Joe,

First I want to say that I have enjoyed your posts on this forum and you have provided me with tons of information and I thank you. The bold portion of your above answer is something that I was not aware of. So it's safe to say that if your natural hair resembles the pic of Slash below, then FUT is the way to go? Why is it that curly hair does not respond well to FUE?

Thanks

slash1.jpg

Hi NM156,

Thank you for your support. I'm glad I've been able to help you. What Hairthere said is true, if hair is curly growing out of the scalp it is also curly growing under the scalp. I think I should clarify and reiterate however that curly hair can be taken just fine but a larger punch is necessary to reduce transection and when you start using a large punch the benefit of FUE begins to diminish. Like I said, some people don't care and will prefer a larger dot to a linear scar. I'm not advocating one way or the other mind you, just saying it how it is.