I've had a small FUE (1000 FU) a three months ago with a coalition member doc to fill in my corners. The op went well and I'm experiencing some decent growth in the recipient area but the middle of my hair line (where no hairs were implanted) seems to have become thinner since the op.

Could this be a reaction to the surgery and is there any chance that this area will thicken again with time? Has anybody else had the same experience?

I feel quite frustrated with the outcome as my problem was small and relatively easy to conceal but hiding a thinning spot in the middle of my hair line is a totally different ball game!

Thanks

It's probably sympathetic shock loss that is not uncommon. And yes, it most cases, it will thicken with more hair once the shocked follicles grow back.

If the thinned area is already diffused, then sometimes it does not grow back depending on the degree of diffusion.

Sounds to me like you have nothing to worry about. You can also use a little Toppik to thicken up the area so it is not as noticeable.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I agree with Gillenator: it sounds like post-operative "shock loss." The question is whether it is temporary or permanent shock loss. Did you notice any thinning in the hairline region before? Did the surgeon note any thinning or miniaturization before implanting the temples? If not, it is likely temporary and should return to normal within a few months (sometimes it can take up to 5).

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

yep, also did you get any numbing injections in this area or close to this area?

if so I bet it's temp shock loss from that

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks for your input guys.

Spot on, the injection was done across the entire forehead including the middle rather than isolating the two sides (I had the corners filled not the temples).

I'll post some pics later today so you can compare the area pre and post op. I had discussed filling in the entire hair line with the doc rather than just the corners because there was a very minor weakness in the middle pre-op (see pic).

What puzzles me is how relatively sparse that area now looks 3-4 months post op. In general, I would say that I'm struggling to see the difference that the 1000 FU have made in the corners and can categorically say that the middle is thinner. Now it's early days for the corners but I'm not too optimistic about the middle filling in.

Do you guys think a small unshaven FUE could restore the desired density in the middle? If so, any particular doc you'd recommend for that type of procedure?

I've experimented with nanogen and I must say that it's remarkably effective at concealing the transparency. On the other hand, I've also read that it's best used on the crown as it can be quite detectable at the hair line. What do you guys think?

Either way, I'm left quite frustrated as I thought I had a minor issue to begin with which could be easily fixed by a top doc. Now I'm considering using hair fibres post-op and that really part of the program.

Any thoughts on what to do or expect going forward?

Thanks

Hang in there man, post-op shockloss sucks but should regrow in an few months

I wouldn't consider doing anything at this time, and just wait it out a little longer

If for some reason it doesn't grow back (low likelihood I believe) than ask the surgeon who performed the original procedure to place some there, if you trust the clinic

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Harakiri,

I took a peak at your profile and only saw 1 pre-op pic and one post-op at 3 months or did I miss something?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY