Dr. Radha FUT 3261 grafts (photo & word heavy)

I’d like to document and share my FUT HT done by Dr.Radha with HRSN community. Any constructive feedback or advise on my progress and advice regarding best practice postop hair care would be appreciatively received.

I've put in high quality photos for people to view.

Background & self-image

To put thing in perspective. I consider my hairloss to be on the mild side of moderate. It has improved since I’ve taken finasteride and 10% minoxidil for the last 15 months.

I think that I have reasonable density but lack a defined hairline especially on my left side. I’ve grown my hair long for the last year and part it to the left as it conceals the thinning on the left side. With hair clay/putty and Toppik, my hair looks quite acceptable.

I thought long and hard for about a year before deciding to book my HT with Dr. Radha. I could have just live without a HT and continue to conceal with toppik and use clay/putty in my hair to build volume. But it’s a pain in the arse to do this everyday and take fin and minox everyday, and my hairloss is slowly and progressively worsening. I made my decision to do the HT a year ago and searched for about a year for a suitable surgeon.

In photo 1 & 3 I have hair clay/puty and Toppik. In photo 2 I have only Toppik.

1:

self1_zps60670c69.jpg

2:

self2_zps11973739.jpg

3:

self3_zps3e9ba60e.jpg

Pre-Op

I met Dr.Radha in her Vizag office at 3pm after only arriving at 1.30pm at the airport. I was pleased by the set-up, it was clean and clinical-looking. Staff were inviting and friendly.

Dr.Radha and I chatted for a while about general things and then she asked me questions about my general health and HL history and what I was expecting or wanting from my HT. She examined my hair and hairline, then donor area. She was pleased about my donor area, stating it was perfectly healthy. She was confident to be able to achieve maximum density for me from what I have. After the consultation, I left the office and made the most of my final tourist days in India. The next 4 days will be confined to the hotel room for rest and recovery.

Before I left, I was given pre-surgery shampoo to wash my hair that night and immediately before arriving for the surgery.

Op Day

I checked-in at 8.30am at Dr. Radha clinic. Her assistant took a blood test. Short time after Dr. Radha arrived and welcomed me to the operating theatre.

For the strip harvesting, I was required to lie on my stomach. I was given local anaesthesia injections. My donor area hair was trimmed, ice was the donor area and in few mins, I believed the donor area was harvested. Absolutely no pain at all. Had no idea if I was being cut or stitched at any point, felt nothing at all. Dr. Radha told me harvests and stitched up the donor area in thirds in minimise trauma and maximise healing. I makes complete sense to me.

After the strips were harvested and I was completely stitched up, I was asked to sit up and go freshen up if I wanted. I was given a meal, Subway was a real treat after the 4 weeks of local India food bacons I was backpacking through the small towns so western food was hard to come by, but additionally I wanted to live as Indian as I could for the time I was there to experience it’s way of life. I think about 15-20min passed before I was asked to return back to the operating theatre. Dr. Radha requested me to lie facing upward for the HT procedure. I was given anaesthesia nerve blocked, one jab above each eyebrow.

Graft slits were made for the follicular units in the hairline first and then progressed backwards (I assume this as I felt jabbing in my hairline first, then I can’t remember much after 30 minutes).

Pre-op Dr.Radha estimated 2900-3000 grafts due to my ethnicity. Being of SE-Asian heritage means my density isn’t such high as Caucasian or middle-eastern folks. However after the HT procedure was completely finished, she told me she was able to extract 3260 grafts from the standard-sized strip. She warmed me against wanting more than 3000 as my scalp is borderline tight, but I wasn’t able to guarantee a good clean scar, but also to preserve the donor area for future HTs.

As is stands, I was more than happy with 3260 graft, I was ecstatic, almost 400 graft more that original estimated.

Surgery started at 10.30am and finished at 7.30pm. Dr.Radha was in the OT the entire time. She is very hands-on and involved with the whole HT process. I rate Dr.Radha very highly

Pre-op photos

IMG_3568_zps63bd927e.jpg

IMG_3567_zpsa87309a0.jpg

IMG_3565_zps048e50e2.jpg

IMG_3562_zps9cb8aacf.jpg

IMG_3558_zpsd84756bc.jpg

IMG_3555_zps6d5ce182.jpg

This photo front on with flash looks so BAD, but you can see there's not much there, just a few strands but quite a lot of fuzz that recently grew back from 10% minox

Immediately post op photos

Dr. Radha's suturing skills are beyond what I was expecting. I've very happy. :)

IMG_3593_zps0a229a90.jpg

IMG_3592_zps10e06c45.jpg

IMG_3591_zps24ef13f3.jpg

Op details

graft count: 3261

1s: 1254

2s: 1882

3s: 125

Total hairs: 5393.

Not bad for SE-asian hair i figure. If you look at my scar photo, I do notice more 2s above and below the scar. Looks like the 2nd HT will be the HT that is "THE" HT to end my journey :)

my hairline appears to have been quite densely packed likely with 1s with the odd 2s thrown in and then tapering off in density with 2s and a few 3s for the middle and rear area, left side more than right side. I'm really happy with the final results immediately post op.

More updates to come in the next few days. I’m currently on day 7 post-op. I’m doing very well, hardly any scab formation. Hair grafts are strong and thick and non have fallen out yet. No redness, no swelling. FUT scar looks thin and healing very well, it’s only mildly numb. I have the nylon retaining stitches out come today.

Feel free to PM me or add me as your contact. For future Dr.Radha patients, I’m more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Regards,

Logan

Edited by Loags79

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im just being extra cautious hence the follow questions to those who've had HT.

1. When's it safe to take hair supplements post HT. These are the ingredients I take.

20140514_123453_zpsjs5heyrp.jpg

2. When's it safe to apply minox to the grafted area for the native hair. Will it affect donor hair by making them "addicted" to minox and adversely affect them if I stop?

It looks very refined.

Is there any reason not to stay on minox? I don't think that your hair will become dependent on it, but any gains made while on it will be lost.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

@spanker: no reason to come off minox in the short to medium term (perhaps long term 3-4 years plus.. perhaps). Im' just worried it could make donor grafts "addicted"... so lets say in 2,3,5 10 years if I stop could the donor hair be weaker without the shot of minox everyday like a drug addict become crazy without crack.

I can do without fin though as its depressive side effects is more bothersome that a slight drop in morning wood. But i will admit fin has work very well for me and my dad. My dad had a shiny head last year, I put him on fin and his head is full of fuzz now, no shiny head now.

Update:

day 1 post-op (12 hours after op)

20140509_094022_zpsocfesxi_edit_1400076514801_zpspvrxc4rr.jpg

Day 6 post op

20140512_200746_zpsyhzipx3_edit_1400076423745_zpsodm7mwoe.jpg

not a single hair has shed. Graft hairs have grown 1-2mm as well. 2/10 numbness. Some white flaking only. No redness.

IMO I think I'm doing usually well?

UPDATE 16/5/14:

this is a selfie taken 5 minutes before the operation on my samsung s4 under normal fluro light.

45ef41ea-3617-4e8c-9d58-baaf984e4eff_zpsa20270ca.jpg

I hope this update helps potential Dr. Radha patients decide whatever they might do or for those already booked in with Dr. Radha to observe my progress.

It's day 10. Things are growing healing nicely. No signs of shedding. Had re-commenced finasteride last night. Will re-commence minox in 10 days to be safe, dont want to risk irritating the graft area.

Front view

day10-4_zps80599b56.jpg

closeup of front view. You can see native hairs and also healing grafts. No scrabs so far, good sign IMO.

day10-5_zpsc71f2193.jpg

Scar (back view). Absorbable stitches still not fully absorbed. Might be another 10-14 days I think. After than I will likely cut my hair shart.

day10-1_zpscb6aafc5.jpg

Regards Logan

Edited by Loags79

Thanks for sharing such a detailed account of your experience. The work looks stellar and your hair is going to be amazing when your transplant matures. Please keep us posted.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I agree this looks like really nice clean work.

Good luck and I look forward to following your progress.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

thankyou David -TTP and Pete-of-Farjo for your interest and following.

UPDATE:

Day 16. I've eagerly been waiting for this day to moisturize my hair with oil overnight and wash it with regular shampoo in the morning. Day 16 I am allowed to scrub my scalp. Ohmygosh it feels so nice to scrub my head. Up til now, I've only been allowed to use baby shampoo and use a "dabbing" action.

I dont think I've had any grafts fall out or if they have fallen out its been very little. The grafts still look very strong and have even grown about 1-2mm since my last update. No redness on recipient area, only slight numbness on the scalp, mild tenderness on the donor scar. This must be atypical of most HTs. I'm sure I'll have a mega shed at day 30-40 right? If I dont then it'd be the best thing I could I ever hope for myself in my recovery.

I very happy with the scar for day 16. It looks 75-80% healed to me. Looks blended in with the normal scalp and not a large scar gap either.

Credit to Dr.Radha for her precise work, I think there was very little trauma to the scar and recipient area during surgery, therefore I'm having such a good recovery so far.

Photo below:

1: front on

DSC_7571_zps347c0cfc.jpg

2: side-view

DSC_7574_zps6e3e39e1.jpg

3: top-view

DSC_7572_zps9c368cd9.jpg

4: scar-view

DSC_7576_zpsed55500e.jpg

Regards

Logan

Edited by Loags79

Hi Logan,

Thanks for the high quality photos and regular updates. The HT looks great.

In your day 6 post op photo you have scabs/crust(red/brown spots). Your day 10 pic looks very clean without any scabs/crust. So did all of your scabs/crust fall off from day 6 to day 10? Did just the dabbing action during hair wash remove them?

Curious to know as I am on my 8th day post op and none of the scabs have fallen off.

Thanks

Ablisshair. I didnt have many blood-type scabs, the few ones I did have were mainly on the left side where most of the work as done. I think had more serum scabs than blood scabs. Serum scabs seem to heal and fall off quicker. I guess I was lucky cos my head looked at its worse at day 1-3 and got better each day after that. Perhaps try washing your head twice a day, but make sure you ask your surgeon first. My surgeon instructed me to wash twice a day with a dabbing action with my fingers to not disrupt or damage the grafts, so that's what I did.

My postop day 1-15 regime.

Eat 2 eggs for breakfast. And fruit and grains. Yoghurt with cereal and soy milk.

Wash my hair and scalp twice a day for the first 15 days, morning and night time with baby shampoo.

Resumed my viatmins and hair supplements day 6 (should've resumed it on day 1)

Resumed finasteride on day 10.

the shedding started from mid last week but nothing dramatic, most of the shed were long thick hairs in the donor area and to lesser degree miniaturized hairs. Also had some graft hairs fall out, I'm guessing a few hundred up to this point. Not sure if its related to natural hair fall from the HT or from resuming finasteride. It's kinda coincidental that as soon as I started fin I had progressive shedding.

day 20:

The left side had very little native hair and absolutely no hairline. Great to see some growth there this early.

Had a bit of shedding for about a week, but it looks like I'm starting to get regrowth under close-up. Some of the strong grafts are remain intact.

I'm counting 30-50 hairs each wash.

closeup L) hairline

Untitled_zpsd589749a.jpg

front on

DSC_7582_zps3ebd9183.jpg

Day 28.

I've had a bit more graft fall out and seeing the onset of new hair pushing up. Not much differences from day 20 so hence no photo. Things are going along as it should be so it'd be all upside from 4-5 months onwards.

Anyway, this will be my last update for a while. I dont know if there is much interest and value in what I am showing based off response so I'll just leave it for now.

Pm if any questions or request an update and I'll do my best to help based on my own experiences. But as for regular updates I'm not certain if there is much interest in FUT cases now days.

I'll definately update at 6 months and in a year or so. Until then :)

regards Logan

Edited by Loags79

looks like very clean work and healing well

the results should start slowly coming in a another month or two

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Day 28.

I've had a bit more graft fall out and seeing the onset of new hair pushing up. Not much differences from day 20 so hence no photo. Things are going along as it should be so it'd be all upside from 4-5 months onwards.

Anyway, this will be my last update. Dont know if there is much interest in what I am showing so I'll just leave it for now. Might update in a year or so if I remember. Until then :)

regards Logan

Many people would be following the thread but they will not reply. It would be of great help if you post regular updates.

• 1 month later...

It's been 2 months post op.. the longest 2 months of my life.

About 80% of the transplanted hairs had shed and the grafts seem to be about a month or two away from seeing good growth. There is random growth here and there.

The scar has healed very well. My only concern is the shockloss caused by retaining nylon sutures. I have 18 vertical bald strips 2cm x 0.5cm. Perhaps I've reacted to the nylon sutures or the sutures were too tight?

If it wasn't for the tram-lines on my head, I would've discarded my cap a few weeks ago. But alas, I'm gonna have to wait another month or two for the existing hairs to cover the area.

I certainly hope the shockloss is only temporary.

• 1 month later...

Thought this update might prove helpful for those who are in the early stages post-FUT or contemplating a HT with Dr. Radha

I'm at 13 weeks, every week from 10 weeks onwards has seen good improvements. Shedding begun at the 30-45 day mark and shockloss of donor area occurred the 30-60 day mark.

Once shockloss stopped, its been all growth.

13 weeks

Right hairline (my better side at pre-op)

DSC_7761_zpsde11b83a.jpg

Left hairline (my worse side at pre-op)

DSC_7754_zpsd07631fe.jpg

Front on (the left side is catching up with the right side. Compare this too 8 weeks its looking pretty good)

DSC_7753_zps9fd1ef83.jpg

Scar (at 13 weeks, can hardly see it)

DSC_7759_zps60052bd3.jpg

8 weeks:

I'd approximate about 80% of the transplanted hairs had shed. Looking pretty bleak at the moment.

DSC_7629_zps04d1ad8b.jpg

2-3 weeks

DSC_7571_zpsd29598a6.jpg

pre-op

IMG_3555_zps6d5ce182.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

3 months & 3 weeks.

Daily noticeable growth from the 3 month mark.

I've had a haircut and now styling my hair. The left side still needs a few more months to fill-in but I'm not conscious about my head anymore like I was last month.

Daring to even take photos outside on a sunny days now, coverage looks fairly decent with the styling.

IMG_20140831_155750_zps1dlj6myy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to congratulate you on your awesome progress, the last pic you posted just goes to show what difference the hair makes on a persons appearance.

I too have booked my surgery with Dr. Radha for January after going through her work from the different forum posts here.

I'd like to ask you if there is anything I should be weary about before or after the surgery ?

Also are you taking any meds or lotions for your hair ?

Thanks

I would suggest you bring along a neck pillow, Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo and a hair dryer that has cool-air function to dry your hair if you are leaving your hair long. Also have betadine ointment to apply to the donor scar if you are doing FUT to prevent infection. Bring a loose cap or hat to protect your head from the sun for the next 2 months.

DONT eat seafood after surgery. You might get sick. And the Chinese believe seafood promotes bad scar healing after surgery. I have not idea if that is true, but I did get sick (the runs) after eating seafood.

In hindsight, I would've cut my hair short rather than leave it long. I think my shockloss in the donor area would've been less if I had my hair shorter.

Pack lightly, heavy luggage you will risk stretching your scar. I was backpacking before my HT so I was carrying a lot more than I should have. But I hire locals to carry things, a bit risky but that what I had to do to prevent over-stressing the scar.