Do transected hairs grow back at their original donor location?

I was wondering, if a hair is transected in FUE anywhere above the actual root, it shouldn't die and it should grow back. And that should be the case most of the time since the root is so small. Any idea?

Transected bulbs are not able to survive and cannot grow in any location. The size of the bulb is irrelevant to this process. Hair can only grow from intact follicles so if the bulb is injured, there is no regrowth, period. There are occasions when the trauma to a hair follicle isn't sufficient enough to cause terminal effects. Transected grafts, hairs, and bulbs are terminally injured structures which means that they will no longer grow. I hope this information is somewhat helpful.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 11 months later...

Hi Silent123, First thing to understand is that in FUE you are removing not hairs but follicles (called grafts), follicles are actually organs consisting of the hair shaft, the root, Sebaceous gland and skin. If you don't move all of these to the recipient area the hairs will not grow, the entire follicle organ must be moved successfully. Once this organ is removed from the donor site like any other organ in the human body it will not grown back. In its place will be a small scar. Follicles contain up to 4 hairs though 4 hairs are rare on average it 2 hairs with most containing 2-3 hairs and some a single hair. If your concern is what the donor site will look like. Well you will never be able to shave your head to zero again ull have tons of white dots on the back of your head. But you should be able to clip with 1 or 2 setting without it being noticable. Consider micropigementation as a soloution. Fractional CO2 doesn't work people who say it does are don't know what they are talking about. The scar tissue is too deep for any laser resurfacing to work.

I was wondering, if a hair is transected in FUE anywhere above the actual root, it shouldn't die and it should grow back. And that should be the case most of the time since the root is so small. Any idea?

I heard if a graft is transected it doesn't necessarily render the graft dead. Grafts can survive and grow back through the white dot scar, if they were transected above the hair root

If the follicular root is snipped however then the graft would be rendered dead

I couldn't find any information on this claim, I would love to have a reference or where you heard it from.

Its only the root of the hair which is genetically programmed to produce hair. Its like saying you can remove the tip of your finger above the cuticle and it will still produce nails. It will not only the very beginning of the finger where the nail comes from the cuticle is genetically programmed to produce hair.

More so for years now we have been able to clone human hair follicles on the back of rats. However these follicles are without sebaceous glands which renders them useless. The sebaceous glands which lay below the root are essential to follicle survival. No progress has been made in cloning and its not likely any will because the sebaceous glands are produced by a complex genetic trigger mechanism which tells the skin hair will be here.

The greatest advances in hair loss are based on this principle, the body is genetically programmed to have hair on the scalp. It knows that hair follicles should be there. Here is a video showing how we can use the bodies predisposition to grow hair follicles in the scalp

dermal rolling with PRP also work wonders

I agree with Funk. It really depends on where the follicle is transected. If you avoid the bulge region and dermal papilla region - in the bulb - it should grow back just fine. If you nick the bulb or certain areas in the outer root sheath where the bulge stem cells lay, it probably won't grow back.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Blake, yes its likely that it will grow back even though you have destroyed the hair shaft and the dermis, it still may grow back since the hair root is there as is the sebaceous glands, But what is the point, You cannot transplant the clippings they won't grow. I don't understand the point of this question, Maybe funk should tell us what he is trying to achieve.

Essentially i'm just explaining, that if hairs are transected in session, maybe one third of them may grow back. So the graft is not wasted and could be harvested again in theory. Most generally assume the graft is wasted from transection.

Once the graft is removed from the extraction site, it's not hard to tell what was extracted and what was not under magnification. If the transection occurs above the root and sebaceous gland, there's a good chance there will be regrowth.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY