Ketoconizole Shampoos

So whats the bottom line with Ketoconizole Shampoos? I hear of all these massive sheds and fried hair yet it works well for many. I am thinking of starting Regenepure once a week which contains keto.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I've been using Nizoral twice weekly for years with no issues. I can't say if the 1% keto has had any hair growth benefit for me but I like how it makes my hair feel.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I use Regenpure and like it. It defiantly doesn't regrow hair but it is easy on existing hair, making it not as easy to fall out when applying a shampoo, which usually results in hurting hair strands.

Wow I just looked at your hair blog. That is quite the accomplishment.

I alternate between regenepure and revita(use them about 2-3 times a week). There were studies claiming that the ingredient "Ketoconozale" was as effective as 2% Minoxidil. I'm not 100% sure if it regrow hair but the shampoos themselves do NOT contain the ingredient SLS or any of its variants. SLS is a harsh chemical and I certainly do think it can be good for our scalps. Be aware that Regenepure and Revita only contain 1% Ketoconozale which makes it less harsh on our scalps compared to say Nizoral, but possibly less effective. I love the feel the two shampoos give my hair and scalp and it thickens existing hair nicely. Regenepure probably has better ingredients in it(Saw palmetto amongst others) but Revita has a more luxurious feel.

I ditched Nizoral a year ago after I realised my worries about the crown getting worse all came about after I started the shampoo.

Those first few times I used it though...WOW, my hair felt and looked amazing.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Regenepure seems the milder of three. Nizoral does the job for dandruff but can be quite harsh and personally I think it's a joke to call it a topical that stops hairloss as it can actually have the opposite effect. I've heard mixed reviews on Revita including some experiencing sheds similar to Nizoral.

Hopefully some smart manufacturer will put 1-2% ketoconazole in a gentler solution without the sodium lauryl ether sulfates etc.

You could probably get ketoconazole liquid or cream from your doctor and then make your own topical with your favorite scalp-friendly natural oils etc.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I ditched Nizoral a year ago after I realised my worries about the crown getting worse all came about after I started the shampoo.

Those first few times I used it though...WOW, my hair felt and looked amazing.

agreed! kills dandruff and clears the scalp and makes the hair look thicker.

was addicted for quite a while

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Regenepure seems the milder of three. Nizoral does the job for dandruff but can be quite harsh and personally I think it's a joke to call it a topical that stops hairloss as it can actually have the opposite effect. I've heard mixed reviews on Revita including some experiencing sheds similar to Nizoral.

Hopefully some smart manufacturer will put 1-2% ketoconazole in a gentler solution without the sodium lauryl ether sulfates etc.

You could probably get ketoconazole liquid or cream from your doctor and then make your own topical with your favorite scalp-friendly natural oils etc.

Neither Regenpure or Revita contain SLS and are both 1% Ketoconazole.

Did you find Revita gentle Mickey? Any sheds on it?

I tried it a few times but was not sure if it helped or not, there were also enough reports of people experiencing sheds on it/changing the formula etc. that I just said it wasn't worth it.

go dense or go home

Basically I'm a Ketoconazole expert. All what I can say is that it cleans scalp, fight DHT if 2% is used but kills hair texture if used twice a week as it makes it brittle and could change its color somehow and eliminates its shine. I strongly advice NIZORAL brand which has some additional ingredients to smoothen the hair and use it once a week for 5 minutes. Recently I found a way to get rid of the brittle hair issue by oiling my hair with coconut oil and leave it for 30min then wash it and apply Nizoral 2% for 5 minutes then rise once a week only during my day off. Hope this helps and I strongly believe that Nizoral 2% and oral standardized Saw Palmetto extract are a must for DHT blocking if Finasteride not used due to sexual sides like my case.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

is the coconut oil difficult to wash out of your hair Hariri?

and do you apply it to your scalp, or just hair?

go dense or go home

Only hair, scalp should be clean as oil can clog pores and make it hard for ketoconazole to be absorbed. Just apply 3 drops of coconut oil into your balms and oil your hair from root to tip, leave at least for 30 minutes then wash your hair with Nizoral.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Did you find Revita gentle Mickey? Any sheds on it?

I tried it a few times but was not sure if it helped or not, there were also enough reports of people experiencing sheds on it/changing the formula etc. that I just said it wasn't worth it.

I did receive a very minor shed initially when using it but it passed in a couple of weeks. I don't use it everyday(I don't wash my hair daily anyway), only 4 times a week for me. I'm a big fan of it even though it is expensive, I love the way it feels and leaves my hair. One 925ml bottle lasts me forever. I use Regenepure also which has better ingredients but not as pleasant on the scalp and hair, still very good though!

I can second the fact that Revita is the best shampoo i have ever used. Makes my crappy hair have volume, smooth silky feel, and manageable. I doubt I'll ever use a different shampoo just because of the way it makes your hair feel. As for sheds? I am always surprised at how people on here can seemingly notice increased and decreased sheds when they are already losing their hair. Personally I think that most of it is over thinking the situation. I'd recommend this shampoo for sure

I can second the fact that Revita is the best shampoo i have ever used. Makes my crappy hair have volume, smooth silky feel, and manageable. I doubt I'll ever use a different shampoo just because of the way it makes your hair feel. As for sheds? I am always surprised at how people on here can seemingly notice increased and decreased sheds when they are already losing their hair. Personally I think that most of it is over thinking the situation. I'd recommend this shampoo for sure

It definitely is a top tier shampoo. The Ferrari of shampoos if you will hehe.

Basically I'm a Ketoconazole expert. All what I can say is that it cleans scalp, fight DHT if 2% is used but kills hair texture if used twice a week as it makes it brittle and could change its color somehow and eliminates its shine. I strongly advice NIZORAL brand which has some additional ingredients to smoothen the hair and use it once a week for 5 minutes. Recently I found a way to get rid of the brittle hair issue by oiling my hair with coconut oil and leave it for 30min then wash it and apply Nizoral 2% for 5 minutes then rise once a week only during my day off. Hope this helps and I strongly believe that Nizoral 2% and oral standardized Saw Palmetto extract are a must for DHT blocking if Finasteride not used due to sexual sides like my case.

What's exactly is a Ketoconazole expert? Dead serious!