Dying to play soccer; can I??

Hey guys,

I had 2800 grafts with the FUE method. I haven't done much physical activity & my local soccer league starts soon. My first match will be exactly 32 days post op & I have really got the itch to play. Should I play or is it too soon? There might be the occasional "heading the ball" or any other physical contacts that might happen in a soccer match. I'd describe my post op recovery so far as very normal & routine - good recovery.

So what do you guys think? Are the grafts settled & secure enough for me to play 32 days post op?

Thanks in advance

I believe most docs refer to the transplanted grafts as being permanently secured at 10 days, so playing soccer and possibly heading butting the ball 32 days post op should theoretically not be a problem. But personally I don't think would do it though as I'd rather be safe than sorry... or if I did do it, I would make a point to keep my head away from the ball.

go lightly and I guess try to head it with the area of your forehead that is non-grafted (if possible)

yeah and check with your doc

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

While most doctors will probably give you the all clear based on that time fame I still wouldn't risk it. Since there is no scar repair from FUT you shouldn't have to worry about spreading the scar out, but of course there is the risk that the transplanted grafts could get damaged. Most say after 10-14 days the grafts are "secure" but that is an average not a guarantee. I'd play, but I'd reduce my minutes drastically and avoid headers. But that's just me.

I've been searching the forum quite a bit. From what I gather, looks like the movement & physical impact in soccer shouldn't even be my biggest worry, but the sun exposure should be! Am I right? My game times are right around noon, early afternoons when the sun is most intense. As much as i hate to do it, I'm thinking of just skipping this season altogether for the sake of my grafts. What do you guys think? Is this necessary?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I would leave it a little longer for the recipient area to heal when heading the ball so you have some hair to protect the skin from damage. I don't think there is any issue with you playing as such but heading the ball might be and in a competitive game a clash of heads might be a disaster. I still play and went back about 2 months after my last surgery but took it easy just training and indoors football.

If you are out in the sunshine then you must wear some sunblock. I would start off slow and see how you get on.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Seems you answered your own question, yes you "can" but as you know maybe not a good idea.

OP's thread, Did I kill my grafts??

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174935-did-i-kill-my-grafts.html

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)