Dr Lorenzo.

I was thinking of keeping my hair quite short till it grows back, I was always bothered about people seeing me with really short hair but they soon get used to it. I have got used to it now and it is funny to look back at the photos we took just before the HT and see myself with longer hair. I told myself before having it done that I would not think about the shedding or looking into a mirror daily. I will just focus on the months ahead and get stuck back into my work. I also think this helps the time to go by much quicker.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the best way to get through the next few months MH62.

Try and put it out of your mind (easier said than done), keep busy and the time will fly by.

Pete

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• 3 months later...

Well it has been just over 20 weeks now since my HT and things are starting to happen, the sides are starting to fill in (the right side a little more than the left up to now) and the crown has started to fill in a bit as well. Will put some pictures up. Thank you Dr Lorenzo.

photo1_zpsb7d8f262.jpg

photo2_zps075f8848.jpg

Looks awesome, congrats. The hairline and top scalp already look significantly fuller.

Good choice keep your hair short, it looks nice that way.

Your head appeared to heal very quickly during the first two weeks after the op. What kind of after-op instructions were you given?

NW5a, fin/foam/couvre

3801 grafts FUE, Dr Jose Lorenzo - Madrid, November 2014

Looks awesome, congrats. The hairline and top scalp already look significantly fuller.

Good choice keep your hair short, it looks nice that way.

Your head appeared to heal very quickly during the first two weeks after the op. What kind of after-op instructions were you given?

Was told to be careful not to bump my head , also not to scratch it ( although the itching was driving me mad) but used a saline spray which eased it off quite a lot, and had to be a little careful which way I slept at night. But all worth it.

Dr Lorenzo is the closest thing to a God when it comes to hair restoration.

Congratulations on your awesome results good sir, and plenty more good results to come.

The thing I liked about him most was that he did all the work himself, and you can tell he has a real passion for what he does.

The thing I liked about him most was that he did all the work himself, and you can tell he has a real passion for what he does.

I agree. When you spend such a huge amount of money it's absurd that the doc typically only comes in to make the slits for the grafts. Generally in a FUE clinic, a tech does the extractions for hours and hours, the doc comes in and makes slits or a half hour, and then more techs place the grafts for hours and hours. With a strip, hopefully the doc is cutting out the strip himself in all cases.

Lorenzo does everything. His implanter pen allows to bypass the slits step. He places the grafts in himself as an incision is made by the pen.

I know clinics go on and on about teamwork and how their techs are so experienced but considering the huge amount of money spent you should get 95% of the work done by the doctor himself.

Despite the fact that Lorenzo did a great job as usual, I feel like he would have been an excellent candidate for strip surgery - older patient, with plenty of stable donor, who probably won't cut it very short and in situations like this I wonder if the actual technique used makes that much of a difference.

Despite the fact that Lorenzo did a great job as usual, I feel like he would have been an excellent candidate for strip surgery - older patient, with plenty of stable donor, who probably won't cut it very short and in situations like this I wonder if the actual technique used makes that much of a difference.

KO you know i respect you alot but i do disagree with this. Yes strip may certainly have solved this patients hair issue but by going fue, he avoided the more invasive method and also avoided the chance of a dreaded strip scar and all the other potential pifalls with strip. Just my opinion.

Totally agree with mickey as a guy who has researched for years now before having my transplant booked in with dr lorenzo in December. I now feel that in the right surgeons hand fue is getting the same yield as fut and a much quicker recovery time and always the option of shaving down to a lower grade in the future if you decide to. When I first started looking into a hair transplant so many people said only fut for me as a Norwood v but thank god for being patient and researching on this site and finding the right fue surgeon who is confident to get a good result from fue.

I did consider strip surgery and did lots and lots of research before making a decision. I really didn't want to end up with a scar on the back of my head. I used to wear my hair short for many years and only let it get longer as I started to loose some of my hair. I am hoping to keep it short again in the future. My mind was made up to go for Fue after seeing Dr Lorenzo's results on other patients and reading all the positive feedback from people about him. I also wanted to visit the clinic and meet him in person before going ahead with anything. Like I said before he has such a passion for what he does and that just shines through when you speak to him, that for me just inspired so much confidence. This forum and the people on it helped me so much as well.

I agree. When you spend such a huge amount of money it's absurd that the doc typically only comes in to make the slits for the grafts. Generally in a FUE clinic, a tech does the extractions for hours and hours, the doc comes in and makes slits or a half hour, and then more techs place the grafts for hours and hours. With a strip, hopefully the doc is cutting out the strip himself in all cases.

Lorenzo does everything. His implanter pen allows to bypass the slits step. He places the grafts in himself as an incision is made by the pen.

I know clinics go on and on about teamwork and how their techs are so experienced but considering the huge amount of money spent you should get 95% of the work done by the doctor himself.

Thank You !!!

If I'm paying top dollar for a surgeon, I don't want techs - no matter how experienced - handling the procedure. Techs are there to dissect strips into grafts and - UNDER THE FULL SUPERVISION OF THE SURGEON - help with the implantations.

I know some clinics/practices have two procedures running concurrently on any given day and that's fine . . . . but they ain't getting my business because, by definition, the doctor can't give full attention to two patients when they're in different rooms, right?

I expect the DOCTOR - the guy with the experience, the guy with the formal qualification, the guy with his name above the door - to be present no less than 100% of the time.

If I wanted a tech transplant, I wouldn't be paying €6 - €8 per graft; I'd be going to a hair mill like Bosley.

thank you !!!

If i'm paying top dollar for a surgeon, i don't want techs - no matter how experienced - handling the procedure. Techs are there to dissect strips into grafts and - under the full supervision of the surgeon - help with the implantations.

I know some clinics/practices have two procedures running concurrently on any given day and that's fine . . . . But they ain't getting my business because, by definition, the doctor can't give full attention to two patients when they're in different rooms, right?

I expect the doctor - the guy with the experience, the guy with the formal qualification, the guy with his name above the door - to be present no less than 100% of the time.

If i wanted a tech transplant, i wouldn't be paying €6 - €8 per graft; i'd be going to a hair mill like bosley.

exactly!!

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Thank You !!!

If I'm paying top dollar for a surgeon, I don't want techs - no matter how experienced - handling the procedure. Techs are there to dissect strips into grafts and - UNDER THE FULL SUPERVISION OF THE SURGEON - help with the implantations.

I know some clinics/practices have two procedures running concurrently on any given day and that's fine . . . . but they ain't getting my business because, by definition, the doctor can't give full attention to two patients when they're in different rooms, right?

I expect the DOCTOR - the guy with the experience, the guy with the formal qualification, the guy with his name above the door - to be present no less than 100% of the time.

If I wanted a tech transplant, I wouldn't be paying €6 - €8 per graft; I'd be going to a hair mill like Bosley.

I see where you are coming from and when you consider Dr Lorenzo does more-or-less everything himself, you are in a lot of respects getting better value for money than with a lot of other docs, even though on face value, he is really expensive.

Having said that, I don't necessarily agree that doctors need to be present during the whole procedure, or that you will get an inferior result if techs are doing most of the work. I could be mistaken, but I don't think the placement of grafts is rocket science (it is more an art, I guess) that requires seven plus years of medical training required to become a doctor. There are certain parts of the procedure, such as taking the strip, which only the doctor should perform, but the techs are more than capable of implanting the grafts and, in a lot of cases, probably much more experienced at doing this than the doctors themselves. That is why it is important, I think, that clinics disclose and are transparent about their techs qualifications and experience. Most aren't, which is a serious misgiving in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I am now at 32 weeks post op (7 months) My hair is filling in more now, I have noticed the left front side is a little thinner than the right and the crown is still a little see through but getting better all the time. I have been told that the crown is always a bit slower to catch up. I have quite a lot of grey hair now (age related) mostly on the sides which makes it look thinner in the pictures. I don't mind it though, Hair is hair.

IMG_0200_zpsb2914f85.jpg

IMG_0202_zps0e7d4999.jpg

Totally agree with mickey as a guy who has researched for years now before having my transplant booked in with dr lorenzo in December. I now feel that in the right surgeons hand fue is getting the same yield as fut and a much quicker recovery time and always the option of shaving down to a lower grade in the future if you decide to. When I first started looking into a hair transplant so many people said only fut for me as a Norwood v but thank god for being patient and researching on this site and finding the right fue surgeon who is confident to get a good result from fue.

I am glad you are happy with your FUE result. My concern as a Norwood V was that I expect to continue losing native hairs as I age (I am 43 now), and that I may need a second procedure as touch-up, which I can then do with FUE since FUT saved so many available donor hairs. If I had done FUE and got my 4000 grafts that way for the first procedure, there may not be much of anything left for the future due to the way FUE is extracted across a huge donor area.

If ever do a second procedure (first was FUT), I expect it would be FUE and I would have several things done - add some temple peaks, thicken the crown, and then possible fill in the FUT scar with FUE grafts (if necessary) so I can wear my hair shorter/down to a clipper 1 or 2 (though I have never worn it that short in my life). Because I had FUT for my first procedure, I have plenty of donor hairs available for a second procedure.

In summary, I was in the hands of a great FUT surgeon and clinic staff, and I have a long way to go to find out my FUT results, but I am not eliminating the possibility that another procedure may be necessary to fulfill my ultimate goals.

FUT vs. FUE is a tough decision for some, but I think Maltese absolutely made the right decision in his case because of his age and he probably won't lose many more native hairs if he is on a maintenance plan now such as Rogaine and/or Propecia.

I see where you are coming from and when you consider Dr Lorenzo does more-or-less everything himself, you are in a lot of respects getting better value for money than with a lot of other docs, even though on face value, he is really expensive.

Having said that, I don't necessarily agree that doctors need to be present during the whole procedure, or that you will get an inferior result if techs are doing most of the work. I could be mistaken, but I don't think the placement of grafts is rocket science (it is more an art, I guess) that requires seven plus years of medical training required to become a doctor. There are certain parts of the procedure, such as taking the strip, which only the doctor should perform, but the techs are more than capable of implanting the grafts and, in a lot of cases, probably much more experienced at doing this than the doctors themselves. That is why it is important, I think, that clinics disclose and are transparent about their techs qualifications and experience. Most aren't, which is a serious misgiving in my opinion.

I will respectfully disagree with you on one point, FUE2014: While I agree that experienced techs placing (inserting, seating, implanting) graphs in recipient sites is fine, I strongly disagree that techs should be permitted to make (cut) the recipient sites into which the graphs will be placed. This task is the heart-and-soul of hair transplantation surgery and is the task that tests and depends upon the distinctive artistry, aesthetic, experience, judgment, and skill of the hair transplant surgeon. Hair transplantation is cosmetic surgery, after all, and the creation of the recipient sites is the artistically and cosmetically critical task of the procedure. This is not merely a ministerial, rote process that a technician should perform, in my view. It would be like going for a rhinoplasty only to have the cosmetic surgeon tell one of his technicians, "Take that bump down a few millimeters, raise the tip, and straighten that deviation. I'll be back to check on things in an hour or so. Don't worry. You're in good hands. My techs are the best." Or, perhaps a more apt analogy, a cosmetic dentist turning you over to a technician to work on your smile. Non-physician technicians should do what the title suggests: provide technical assistance with cosmetic surgeries, not perform them. Just my opinion (and likely the opinion of a number of country's national, state, local, and professional licensing boards).

Thanks Hairweare, I have been to my barber a few times now and he has never said anything. Each time I go I seem to have a little more hair and my bold spot gets smaller. I have been waiting for him to question it when I go each time ,but no, nothing. I then come out wondering has it not grown as much as I imagine it has or is he a little baffled, or perhaps some people just don't take that much notice anymore. I do remember though him telling me once that to hide my bald spot I should burn a bottle cork and dab it on the spot. ( Gave that one a miss) I will tell him though if he ever asks. I don't see it as anything to be embarrassed about. I think each and every one of us on here should feel quite proud of ourselves for making such a huge decision to go ahead with a transplant. I remember how scared I was at the beginning of it all and knowing nothing about the whole process. Thank goodness for this forum, it helped me so much.

I have a few more years and procedures on you but not too far behind in regards to hair. In two weeks I will be in Madrid for my second procedure with Dr. Lorenzo. I will be very happy if I can get similar coverage towards the rear and crown as I did from the first 1500 placed in the front. We have similar hair characteristics so seeing your results gives me much encouragement.

Are you taking finasteride? I had thought my hair loss had stabilized by my early 50's but unfortunately it really picked up again with a vengeance after age 55. I intend to stay on finasteride 1mg for the near future and will consider reducing it to .5mg should things remain stable for another two years.