Hair transplant to lower hairline. Am I eligible?

Hi all, it's my first time here and after reading through many of the threads about hairline lowering (via FUE hair transplant or hairline lowering surgery), I decided to start a thread to ask about my situation.

I'm a male and I'm currently 20 years old this year and I'm sure that I am born with a high and possibly wide forehead and hence having a high hairline (about 7.5-8cm from my eyebrows). My lower face is small and this makes it look like it's not proportioned and for all of my teen years, I've been keeping a fringe and sometimes I also had people criticizing me. It's been a self-esteem crusher for me and if given a choice I will definitely end this once and for all.

My question comes: Am I eligible for hair transplant for the lowering of my hairline at such a young age?

The reason I would like to ask here first is to see whether professionals here can give me advice on what to do!

It would also help if I know the situation that I'm in so I can be prepared for any hurdles that will come!

I've attached an image below showing the front of my face and any advice or appropriate actions I can do will be very much appreciated!

20140330_063729.jpg.aac90976f595303f4b02a3a6fa22b841.jpg

People can be a-holes at school and tease people about their insecurities.

Anyway, I think the height of your hairline looks normal but you may be able to take it down a maximum of 1cm. If you have any chance of going bald it could be a bit of a gamble for a man of your age though.

As I say, I think it looks fine as it is.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Is the the high hairline due to MPB (male pattern baldness)? Or like you said, were you just born with it? If it's MPB, you might consider meds first - Propecia and Rogaine - but I'd try to hold off on them for a while, at least until your mid-20s. Personally, I think it's highly unethical to perform a HT on a young patient because the pattern and progression of loss is difficult to determine at that time. You don't want to hit middle age and have a ridiculously low 'teenage' hairline with a thinning mid-scalp and crown. You'll be left with a friar monk look and chasing your receding hair the rest of your life, that is if you don't run out of your very limited donor supply first. Hope that makes sense.

If it's just a high hairline, then I'd maybe talk with a HT surgeon about your options. For FUE I'd only consider Bisanga or Feriduni for their exceptional hairlines. They're both located in Belgium. But it looks to me that you might have a bit of an Aaron Paul look going on - high forehead, smaller face. Works for him.

5b32de207f808_aaronpaul.jpg.331ffd0131a8d700260bd6f03d7ff5c0.jpg

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

good advice above

where you have hair currently shows good density, so you want to accentuate what you already have.

(1) cut the sides and back of your hair shorter and leave the front hairline hair longer, this will create a hairstyle that better suits you as your front or bangs will be relatively thick

(2) if possible do some weight training and sports, this combined with (1) will give you an athletic and sporty look and also help take your mind off of your hair

remember a HT may be able to lower your hairline, but the expense will be at density and thickness (unless you want to chase endless and expensive procedures to make it both lower and thicker)

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

you can have your lower face strengthened (jaw implants/dermal fillers) in addition to lowering the hairline

maybe with this combination of procedures

you won't need to lower the hairline as much in order to bring everything into the proportions you want

get on fin and minoxidil then go on some consultations

you can have your lower face strengthened (jaw implants/dermal fillers) in addition to lowering the hairline

maybe with this combination of procedures you won't need to lower the hairline as much in order to bring everything into the proportions you want

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. How can you make such an outlandish comment without seeing the guy's face?

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Curious,

I hate to be the "bearer of bad news," but I do not think you are currently a candidate for a hairline lowering procedure.

In general, the actual hairline lowering procedures (where a portion of the anterior scalp is removed and the hairline is physically lowered) are normally reserved for female patients. For male patients, this leaves hairline lowering via traditional hair transplantation (Follicular Unit Extraction and Follicular Unit Strip Surgery).

However, it isn't this simple; lowering a hairline on a young individual without obvious androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) is a tricky game. If you lower the hairline on a young patient without a grasp on how their hair loss will progress, you run the risk of implanting a thick, dense hairline in front of bald scalp. This obviously creates an unnatural appearance and - if the donor supply permits - requires multiple procedures to chase the progressive loss.

Because of this, I recommend the following:

First, meet with a hair loss expert and determine whether or not you are actually suffering from androgenic alopecia. Make sure you consult with an experienced physician who understands the risks of lowering the hairline on a young patient. If you are suffering from androgenic alopecia, you should then ask the physician about preventive hair loss medications like finasteride (Propecia) and minoxidil (Rogaine). If you do stabilize your hair loss or assure that you suffer from a high hairline and not androgenic alopecia (at a later point in time), you may then be a candidate for a lowering procedure.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey all!

Thanks for the replies and the advices.

I understand that there are complications to having a HT so early on in my life and I'm fairly certain I won't pursue any HT procedures until I'm in my mid 20s or late 20s.

I think its assuring to know that the procedure is possible and I just need to clear off certain issues that might happen to me. (MPB etc.)

I will definitely consult a hair loss expert in the years to come to determine whether I'm clear of any MPB and to also see whether there are any signs of MPB happening to me.

I'll be shaving off my head in a couple of months due to conscription and during the period where I serve I'll try to find a suitable hairstyle that will suit my high forehead. If the results are poor, then I think I'll consider HT or other means to lower my hairline.

I do have one more question. So if HT is not suitable for me due to complications, will I be able to undergo a hairline lowering surgery? Or does the surgery mostly cater to female candidates only?

And to since21, I really hope I can pull off the Aaron Paul look but since I'm an Asian, I think it's gonna be pretty tough.