Need your honest opinion regarding my hair loss (PICS ATTACHED)

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently 22 and have been monitoring my hair loss for the last year. It started with me noticing that my hair was falling out more than usual. I visited my GP and he prescribed me Propecia and Rogaine but he did mention my hair loss was very minimal. I have been taking propecia for the last year and just wanted everyone's opinion on my hair.

Also, what additional steps should I if my hair-loss continues.

I just want to thank everyone in advance for replying.

IMG_20140324_224442.jpg.5d85b8b34a57d8f8efd0ca347b91441f.jpg

IMG_20140324_224357.jpg.7c349ed8b7220d4693da043876245741.jpg

IMG_20140324_224328.jpg.3df1dd20a6fcd64c7012baef544b790f.jpg

IMG_20140324_224322.jpg.a588b807dc65bfa90a19bec937d317df.jpg

IMG_20140324_224218.jpg.672cf5db6a00beaf7ab42cf826d90cae.jpg

IMG_20140324_224203.jpg.9e319c3a579c7d1e88c3da074a6014c7.jpg

IMG_20140324_224123.jpg.0b02998b0da5f124238e5678aa20cc60.jpg

What did you look like before starting propecia and rogaine?

These are preventive drugs, so if you feel you're losing hair, that is the right time to take it, not when you are already a NW3+, that is a mistake millions of men do. It's preventive drugs with no guarantee of regrowth. So stay on it, if propecia and rogaine are helping you maintain, once you stop using them, your hair loss will continue probably more aggressive than before because it'll want to catch up to where it was going to be at your current age if you hadn't taken drugs. If that makes any sense. Regardless, if you were losing hair, but are not losing hair anymore, then stay on them.

My opinion of your hair by the way, it looks great and it doesn't even look like you have lost any hair.

Also, what additional steps should I if my hair-loss continues.
You're probably doing all that you reasonably can. I would say your hair loss is quite minimal and I doubt anyone would think you're losing your hair to begin with.

Your pictures look great to me. The top and crown look completely normal. But I guess it does look like your hairline is deteriorating in the pic where you have it pulled back. Again, unless someone is really scrutinizing your hair (which of course ourselves do constantly), I doubt they would even notice.

If you can afford it, keep up with Propecia and Rogaine. Unfortunately your hair loss will continue albeit at a much slower pace. Hopefully a real treatment will be out within the next decade which will be at the point where you'll probably really need to do something.

Thanks for the quick responses. To answer your question JimmyNeutron, my hairline is somewhat the same but I just feel like it is thinning in the front (near the front). I hope that the medicine reduces the speed at which my hair thins.

Another question I have is, would it be appropriate to get a HT in a couple of years (3-5 years) in order to increase density if my hair loss continues? I know that I am considerably young but I have seen results online of men getting them in their mid 20s which have yielded great results. I also apologize if I come off as ignorant in regards to my questions but I just have a lot of questions and I feel like this community can answer them.

It's an expensive 'drug' getting your hair fixed and once you get started there is no going back.

I'd do as you suggest. Wait another 5 or 6 years to see how effective the propecia is. Take photos every 6 months for comparison.

You look like you would have great donor qualities if you did decide to proceed in the future.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I see zero sign of hair loss.

I dont think you should be taking these potentially harmful, and dependence building drugs, when there is seemingly no evidence of a problem in need of address.

His doctor prescribed them for him 1 year ago, maybe he caught it when he was supposed to and when it was supposed to be done. The biggest mistake I and many others did/do is wait until we see a significant sign of MPB, which is not how it works. Once you see a minor sign of hair loss, you should get on preventive drugs. Once you have full blown MPB, almost always there's no going back to your normal density, just slowing down or stopping the hair loss.

Propecia is more effective on the mid-scalp and crown and for that reason, I'd hold off on it for now. Mid to late 20s at the earliest. And who knows what they will have by then. No drug is going to save your hairline if you have MPB. Rogaine will help more there, but Propecia will not. The benefit of Propecia when it comes to hair transplantation is to spare the mid-scalp and crown so valuable donor hair can be used on hairline restoration.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

You are doing everything correctly, and I totally disagree with those who said to hold off on propecia if you are truly losing your hair, check your family history of strong signs of MPB. (I would switch to the cheaper Proscar though). If you are truly experiencing MPB, then you are doing everything correctly.

Congratulations, you may never go bald!

Maybe add a quality shampoo that contains ketoconazole like Revita or Regenepure DR. They only contain 1% ketoconazole so it won't be too harsh on the scalp unlike Nizoral and they both contain good ingredients for the scalp and hair. Both are SLS free also unlike 99% of the store brand. Only use them 3-4 times a week though.

You are doing everything correctly, and I totally disagree with those who said to hold off on Propecia.

I completely disagree with this. nostarrup, there is no reason for you to take it now unless you have thinning in your mid-scalp and crown, which you clearly don't. Use the money you'll save by not taking Propecia for a great surgeon you may need one day.

Neither Rogaine or fin will completely halt MPB. They are just weapons in the fight against it. I've never used Rogaine, by the way. Never wanted to. Seemed like too much of a hassle. But Propecia slowed down my hair loss (started at 35) and saved my mid-scalp and crown.

While I stand by the fact that there is hardly any sign of you needing to take propecia, you should check your mothers side for MPB. If I would have been wise to the signs that started in me at 16, and been educated about MPB prevention I would have gone on to propecia. But I was actively losing hair quality and volume. All males on my mothers side were NW 6 by the time they were 30. My dads super hair genes must be holding that off a little as I am 31 at a NW3-ish...but I am heading for a NW6/7.

Hopefully the propecia will hold this off.

I am 31 at a NW3-ish...but I am heading for a NW6/7. Hopefully the propecia will hold this off.

It should. I was probably a NW3 when I started taking it at 35. I slowly progressed to a 4 over the course of 10 years. I'd be a 5 or 6 without it. Both my father and brother are 6s or 7s.