Need help & advice on FUT scar repair, cant take no more!!

Hi,

I am new to this forum/website. After a long while being secretive about my HT and scar, I felt it was time to open up and ask for advice on/speak to some fellow people who are in the same position and also for what I can do now, what my next option is in trying to repair my scar left by the The Hospital Group.

I am in a position now where I have to address my hair situation after around 6 years of cover up following a HT by the Hospital Group. I had the procedure done in 2008 and while I was happy with the results on top at the time, I was also left with a terrible scar running approx from ear to ear at the back of my head.. I have now lost much more hair on top (I feel I should not have been accepted for a transplant at that time, aged 22). I have exhausted methods of cover up, with now wearing my hair a tad longer on the back with fibres on top to try and cover the scar and baldness which works pretty well I guess, but is still noticeable. I am forever watching out for people looking at my head, not standing under bright light etc etc, I am sure some of you know the drill very well!!

After a lot of thought, I have realised that I do not want more HT surgery as I have been told and think that my donor area is not great. I have came to the conclusion that i would like to shave my hair down as short as I can and deal with the thin top as I feel I am getting nowhere now. My scar is approx. 10-15mm thick and approx 20cm long, it is really noticeable, so I have been looking at scar revision, ie removing the existing scar and re-closing it using the correct technique. I have seen a couple of people regarding this and one surgeon was wanting to do FUE on my scar but I am not interested in more surgery as that will leave scarring also in my ever so thinning donor area, and I feel my scar will still be seen. Another was MP on the top and a scar repair with some MP around it if reqd. I am currently edging towards the latter.

I am undecided and really would appreciate some advice on what you guys think would be a good route to go down? where are the best places and surgeons to carry out these procedures? I feel like any place I go to for advice, they are only interested in the money!!

Thanks for your time :)

There are many good surgeons on the network that can do scar revision surgery accompanied by FUE. If your donor supply is limited you might even consider body hair using FUE. See Dr. Umar on this site for BHT.

If you want to avoid surgery you could always try SMP using temporary pigment and if you were unahappy with the results, over time, the SMP will fade. Conversely, you would need to have the procedure repeated to continue covering the scar. I believe temporary SMP is good for about a year or so.

The choice is a difficult one. Ultimately, if you choose surgery I would thoroughly research doctors who have experience with your type of case. Review their previous work. Talk to or e-mail their patients. If the best surgeon for your case means you need to get on a plane by all means make the journey. Lots of good material on this website so take your time and do the research. Good luck!

I'm in the same boat as you. Personally I'm leaning toward temp micropigmentation on the scar only. No more surgery for me. I've contacted a couple companies it's just hard to trust anybody after going through the hair transplant process.There is a guy on here who may be opening a place for temp mp soon. HisHair has a pretty good forum. The whitney center looks like they may do good work but when I asked if I could speak to the person who would be doing the actually procedure they would not let me. I want to try something temp, before I go permanent. Wish I could shave it all today, just to damn insecure about the scar!

10-15mm is pretty thick, If I were you I think I'd spent a month or two doing scalp exercises, go to a top doctor to revise the scar, and do my best to avoid stretching it. Follow every recommendation to the T, then after it has healed up thinner (hopefully) get a few hundred FUE done into the scar.

I wouldn't take this lightly considering it's been bothering you for 6 years, and you still have the rest of your life ahead of you!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started doing research into "fixing" hair transpant scars as I have noticable pitting and cobbling in my recipient area up front. I stumbled upon something that sounds promising called fraxal repair, so you may want to check that out. While it sounded like it might be good for my scaring issue, the majority of the commentary regarding fraxal treatment was for repairing the linear scar in the back of the head.