Post FUE - Stopped Sweating

Hello everyone.

It's been a little over a month since I underwent a FUE procedure involving 3060 grafts. (front half of the head)

The procedure was split over two consecutive days.

A week back, I went for a jog for the first time after my procedure and noticed that I do not sweat at all from the recipient area, while rest of the head sweats as it used to. Even the donor region sweats as it used to.

I was supposed to have a second session involving 3500 grafts for the back half of my head, which I have postponed indefinitely due to this issue.

I have been going for a jog everyday for about 1 hour. But I still do not sweat from the transplanted area.

Is this normal? If so, when can I expect it to get back to normal.

Please let me know.

sss.jpg.d79c425a6530f33583b7c69720d8c38d.jpg

Bad,

I've never heard of this occurring before. Obviously there are a variety of sweat glands (with affiliated superficial ducts) in the scalp, but I've never heard of these being temporarily damaged or impaired during a hair transplant procedure. Is your scalp still inflamed from the hair transplant procedure? Is it possible that it feels numb or different than before and you simply aren't noticing the sweat? Have you contacted your hair transplant surgeon about this?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you very much for responding, I have been waiting the whole day for somebody to respond.

Yes, the transplanted area is still numb. And yes, I can wipe the sweat off the other areas on the head but the transplanted area is still dry and not even remotely sweaty.

Inflamed?, if you mean pain or burning sensation, then the answer is no.

My surgeon says it's normal but on doing internet research I haven't found anything remotely related to this issue. So I assume it's not normal.

Hence I'm here for help.

Bad,

By inflamed I meant swollen, not painful or burning. I suppose the surgery could have "stunned" the apocrine sweat glands in the scalp or caused some temporary damage to some of the ducts, but I feel like this would be highly unlikely or strictly theoretical. The sweating in other areas of the scalp means your automatic nervous system is likely perfectly fine as well. Did your surgeon say he's seen this before? Do you have a primary care physician you see regularly? I think the best thing to do would be to take this issue to a trusted physician.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future HT Doc,

No Swelling, no sensation, just numb.

As per my surgeon and internet research the numbness stays on for a while like 6-8months. Is this true? Do you think with the reduction of numbness the sweat glands in scalp will get back to normal?

Glad that I didn't go in for second session.

So you think this issue is not normal. Got it. Sad news for me :/

Edited by Baldbadboy

Bad,

I'm not saying it's abnormal. I'm simply stating that I haven't personally seen this complaint posted on the forums before. It seems like your surgeon doesn't think it is abnormal. However, I think it may be helpful to ask him (or her) some follow-up questions. For example, you could email or call him and ask: has he/she ever specifically seen a case where the numbness or loss of sensation included a lack of sweating? If so, how many patients have complained about this problem? When did it resolve?

I'm not certain if the numbness and the perceived lack of sweating are related. Frankly, it is near impossible to know precisely what is happening by simply discussing the issue online. This is why I think it would be best to be evaluated by a trusted physician in person. Is this possible? I really think a doctor could evaluate your scalp, asses what is happening, and put your mind at ease.

Thank you once again for your prompt replies.

I have asked the surgeon too many questions and most of his answers are similar. "give it time", "yes this is normal", "many patients face this"

The grand finale was " you are thinking too much about this, may be you should reconsider doing the second session"

Hence now I am here.

Yes I will visit my family doc and post an update.

Edited by Baldbadboy

Don't worry about it mate, I had the same thing. After 8 weeks I resumed pretty intense cardio and would normally sweat like pig!

I got into the habit of pouring a bit of water on my head to compensate just before starting the workout.

I'm not sure if I have resumed sweating from that area.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Now you have brought this to my attention I have realised i too have stopped sweating like i used to.

Usually i would have sweat pouring down my face. Nowadays i do sweat a little from there but no where near like i used to.

I have recently had my 4th Ht (bout 6 weeks) and have resumed cardio training. I sweat as usual from everywhere else !

I am now wondering if you have discovered something :-) certainly nothing to worry about. Infact its quite nice :-)

• 5 weeks later...
Don't worry about it mate, I had the same thing. After 8 weeks I resumed pretty intense cardio and would normally sweat like pig!

I got into the habit of pouring a bit of water on my head to compensate just before starting the workout.

I'm not sure if I have resumed sweating from that area.

Thanks mate, I am not worried any more. It's just that in the beginning when I noticed that I had stopped sweating from the transplanted area, I was worried.

The area front portion of my head underwent the on two consecutive days. First day was left half and the second day was the right half.

Now it's almost two and a half months and I feel that the extreme ends on the left and the right have started to sweat. very little, but a good sign. But the center is still the same.

So I have a theory. Day one was left, day two was right. But since the area on the center where left and right converge was anesthetized twice. Once the day before for the first session, and once on the second day for the second session.

Hence the screwed up sweat glads is even more and will take even more time to get back to normal. By normal I mean 60 to 80% recovery. The "damage" to the scalp/sweat glads can never to recover 100%.

Excuse the bad paint job on the pic a week after surgery!

unnamed1.JPG.0c03807b48da18f656544914ddbe6ded.JPG

Now you have brought this to my attention I have realised i too have stopped sweating like i used to.

Usually i would have sweat pouring down my face. Nowadays i do sweat a little from there but no where near like i used to.

I have recently had my 4th Ht (bout 6 weeks) and have resumed cardio training. I sweat as usual from everywhere else !

I am now wondering if you have discovered something :-) certainly nothing to worry about. Infact its quite nice :-)

It's not about worrying, it's about not having all the information before one goes into the surgery. It's about not knowing what to do when something like this happens. It's about not knowing whether it's supposed to be like this or not. :) I am not worried anymore. thanks for your support.

Well, at least now there is a topic about sweating or not sweating post FUE session, on the web for somebody like me or you to search for answers :)

isnt that a good thing? no sweating, wooo! i sweat way too much from my head.. which i didnt

Not sweating from head is not cool. The heat generated is trapped inside. The toxins stay in. They come out in the form of pimples on the forehead and scalp maybe. This is my thinking after online research. The experts can enlighten me, if I am wrong.

We modify the motivation mechanisms, so that the high-level players can get better connect to the position of low-grade compensate. Guild Conflicts 2 Silver stage is not the primary objectives RS 3 Gold pursued in the procedure of exploring Tyria world knowledgeable a variety of activities, growing, gather exploring the joy is the true meaning of the encounter.

• 4 months later...

Fascinating. There must have been damage to your eccrine sweat glands, although to what degree it is reversable is uncertain.

I know medically they treat excessive sweating with subcutaneous liposuction, which actually removes eccrine sweat glands.

I had a friend who had radiofrequency ablation to treat it, and he noted that the sweating came back years later, although at maybe 20% of the intensity as it was originally. Interestingly, he noted that he had the procedure to treat brow sweating, and oddly his body compensated by having his lower back and rear sweat more. Have any of you guys noticed increased sweating elsewhere?

I could certainly use this, I sweat way too much from my forehead even with light exercise.