Scared out of my mind about a HT

Hey all,

I've been lurking on these boards for over three years now and think I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to go through with the surgery. My hair loss started when I was in my late 20's and I'm just bout to turn 36. I've been on Rogaine 2x/Day, Adovart .5mg/day and Nizoral 2x/week for almost two years now and it certainly helped a little bit. I'm not afraid of the surgery itself, I'm more afraid of getting a bad HT and being stuck with it the rest of my life. I have two close friends that have HT's, both via FUT and they literally look like they have hair plugs!! One was from a well known doc in Philly and the other in NYC. I've met with two doctors already to discuss the possible surgery but have a hard time trusting them with some of the horror stories I've heard of and seen on the internet. I have a few questions for anyone who has actually had the surgery before:

1. I'm thinking FUE is the best choice for me. I wear my hair short on the sides and would want to continue that. Can you still buzz pretty close on the sides after a FUE surgery? I know that I would have to wait for the scars to heal but lets say six months down the road.

2. Does the newly implanted hair grow in a different direction? Of the two that I've scene, they both have the hair that was implanted in the front growing straight down while the rest of the hairline seems to grow straight out or back.

3. I'm not looking to restore my hairline to when I was 18 but I'm tired of staring in the mirror for 30 minutes trying to cover up my receding hairline in the morning. It's pathetic but I lose sleep over it and find myself constantly checking my hair throughout the day to make sure it doesn't look stupid. Are there any docs out there that truly have talent to perform a HT with completely natural looking results?

4. Last question. Worst case scenario is that a doc butchers my HT or the donor hairs don't take. Can you buzz the entire hairline close without seeing any scarring? Not shaving but a number 1 over the whole head?

Sorry for all the questions. I've attached some pics of the current situation...

Thanks for your time!

5b32de11e21f3_hair1.jpg.7ebeb2c811ee7113a9d3c1aa889aa2e9.jpg

5b32de12017fc_hair2.jpg.58d37360e52b214f5238bf8991ea50b7.jpg

5b32de1216f10_hair3.jpg.63d5f1a590bb6b21aae81de1e03a612f.jpg

5b32de122a7c2_hair4.jpg.7625b53ce0b07351917fe8ee63cb6e64.jpg

5b32de123e683_hair5.jpg.e8bf7847305c4709826f16ab3301e6b7.jpg

Edited by rjs270
Fix the pictures

1. If you don't over harvest, this should not be a problem. And you should not have to wait even close to six months.

2. It will flow with the natural hair if you get a good doc. If you have been on the board for 3 years, you should have a good idea who to trust.

3. Mine is. Sure there are docs that can give you that. Most HT's by top docs are undetectable as transplants with the exception of scarring (strip or FUE). It is just the density is not 100 percent natural, in that it is not as full as a full head of hair.

4. I think that a 1 is a little short to be able to promise someone, even with FUE. The lighter the contrast you have the better. I would say a grade two is most likely the number to shoot for and if you can go lover, that is good too. Again, over harvesting in a certain area is there FUE can show with a buzzed head. I feel like there are some docs that are excellent at masking this, and some that are not.

BTW, no pics

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

See them now. You appear to me a good candidate. I think that about 2k grafts up front would make a world of difference.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If you do not like the results of your two friends, no need to even consider the doctors who did their work. Definitely go seek out better doctors. Unless there's some specific reason why you can't travel internationally, you should consider doctors in Europe first... or don't, your loss :D If you're adamant on staying in the US I would say Konior is your best bet for FUE. Otherwise check out Lorenzo, Feriduni, and Bisanga. Those are my suggestions.

I don't know why you would consider FUT as an option, you can get results with FUE practically just as good as the best FUT work available. The top FUE doctors have results better than typical FUT docs. I wouldn't do FUT even if the doctor paid me money... which is why I can't relate to people who want FUT done to save money or because their doctor said so. It's easier for the doctor to do FUT, no surprise a lot of doctors encourage FUT and lead you away from FUE.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions Rootz! I have no issue traveling overseas and just recently started researching a couple of those docs you mentioned. I guess I was just a little naive and assumed the best docs were here in the US. My budget isn't endless but I don't see why anyone would not go to the absolute best doctor in the world to have this procedure done. I'm almost positive that FUE is the route that I will choose. On average, how long should I plan on taking off before returning to work and looking somewhat normal? My job is fairly flexible and can avoid the office for a few weeks.

If you're adamant on staying in the US I would say Konior is your best bet for FUE. Otherwise check out Lorenzo, Feriduni, and Bisanga. Those are my suggestions.

Konior is known more for FUT.

The top FUE doctors have results better than typical FUT docs.

There are many reasons why one might consider FUT over FUE, not gonna start that debate again, but it's interesting you choose the words 'top' FUE doctors vs 'typical' FUT doctors. That's comparing apples to oranges. Great results are great results regardless of method of harvest. I think it's more fair to say that 'top' FUE docs have comparable results to the 'top' FUT docs, or vice-versa.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Konior is known more for FUT.

I'm generally not impressed with FUE results from the US, but Konior has posted one recently that was impressive. Looking at his website he has some good results but I can't tell which ones are FUT or FUE (or maybe they're all FUT).

but it's interesting you choose the words 'top' FUE doctors vs 'typical' FUT doctors.

Well I also said a top FUE doc could produce basically the same results as a top FUT doc. I hesitate to say "as good" because I'm sure technically FUT will always have a slight edge... but the point is can you really tell the difference between like a 95% yield and 97% yield? In a 3000 graft session a 2% difference would be 60 grafts. I'm pretty sure you would have absolutely no idea plus or minus 60 grafts in a 3000 graft session.

FUT gives you that scar in the back of your head though, that would eliminate buzzing your hair too close, unless you're okay with exposing your scar. Also I think it's harder to hide the FUT scar in those first 4-5 months, while from what I have seen in 4-5 months FUE patients look pretty normal and undetectable.

If you do not like the results of your two friends, no need to even consider the doctors who did their work. Definitely go seek out better doctors.

Agreed! :eek:

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Thank you for the reply sir. The two docs in the US that I've narrowed it down to are Dr. Feller and Dr. Dorin. Even thought about going overseas and visiting Dr. Lorenzo.

Lorenzo is a universe better than those two respective surgeons at FUE, in my opinion. He has over 200 before/after VIDEOS showing pure FUE. If I were you and wanted the best chance of a great result, I would go Lorenzo without a second though. Erdogan, Bisanga, Mwamba, Maras etc are also great FUE surgeons but Lorenzo is top for me.

In terms of overall coverage with FUE, Lorenzo hands down. But in terms of hairlines, I prefer Bisanga and Feriduni.

I would also highly recommend getting on a propecia regiment- with your hair-loss condition, I think you would see a dramatic positive cosmetic change. Gotta keep that hair in the future even after your HT if you go that route. Give it a year and assess from there.

In terms of overall coverage with FUE, Lorenzo hands down. But in terms of hairlines, I prefer Bisanga and Feriduni.

Since21, You pointed out Bisanga and Feriduni for hairlines.. how is their crown coverage work? Blake says that creating the swirl of a crown is an art in and of itself. Have you had a chance to check out their crown work?

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Since21, You pointed out Bisanga and Feriduni for hairlines.. how is their crown coverage work? Blake says that creating the swirl of a crown is an art in and of itself. Have you had a chance to check out their crown work?

I would agree with what Blake says. Konior adds that the crown is a sort of 'black hole' of hair restoration. I think he means you can exhaust a lot of precious grafts on it. And hair loss sufferers can't afford to waste too many. I saw some crown work posted on here recently that I thought was phenomenal, but unfortunately I didn't bookmark it and can't remember the surgeon. But I know it was done by FUE.

I've been more focused on hairlines the past couple of years for my own research purposes, and while I've meticulously reviewed both Bisanga's and Feriduni's hairline work, I'd have to take a closer look at their crown work. For some reason, I think I recall seeing some great crown work by Feriduni. I'm sure Bisanga can deliver as well. I'm hoping I don't have to go down that path, but my crown is definitely weakening as the years progress.

Hello everyone,

You have to realize that the crown is really a difficult region to treat mostly because the hair grows in multiple directions at once; there's no shingling effect in this area like the other areas of the scalp. Achieving density can become less visible when attempting to create an illusion of fullness when the hair in an area has no consistent grade.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Here's my two cents for whatever it's worth.

Look, if you intend to wear a short hair style, "CHOOSE FUE". Even if you are not sure about the future of how short you will wear your hair, even if you have an inkling to buzz your hair, "CHOOSE FUE".

Now myself, I chose to have four separate strip procedures. Why? Because I hate short hair styles and would never ever wear my hair short. I know that for a fact so my choices for FUHT docs were based on their high level of competency and artistry for FUHT work.

But that's me and does not sound like that's you. In addition, at the time I had my FUHT procedures, FUE was not mastered by very many and the overall yields were still in question, and yield was and will always be one of my top objectives in any procedure. I also heal very well and my last FUHT was closed with staples because my laxity was borderline. My surgeon insisted on it so obviously I agreed.

My last procedure was in 2006. Now hear we are 8 years later and there are more good docs doing FUE and doing it well including Drs. Robert Dorin and Bob True.

Oh sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but like others have said, it's the overall competency in either arena. There are bad FUHT docs and excellent ones. And there are bad FUE docs and excellent ones. Just do your homework thoroughly before making any decisions. Results are what count in the end!

There are great FUE docs in both North America as well as Europe...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Dear one,

1 If you will choose good quality doctors it will not effect bcz if doctor will over harvest then there is no problem with short hair in side.

2 I have also got transplant with fue from Dr Pradeep Sethi and Dr Arika Sethi, india 7 months back. My hair are in his direction. I am attaching my result of hair transplantation for your assistance.

3 You can think about my doctor Dr Pradeep Sethi & Dr Arika Sethi in india bcz i am highly satisfy with my results and natural looking hair line. If you want any help i can provide you. You can see my hair line in my attach pic.

see my attached pics for your help

5b32de5e534fe_balbirhistory.jpg.4f766798690695139fd4d9c4515cae1b.jpg

Dear one,

1 If you will choose good quality doctors it will not effect bcz if doctor will over harvest then there is no problem with short hair in side.

2 I have also got transplant with fue from Dr Pradeep Sethi and Dr Arika Sethi, india 7 months back. My hair are in his direction. I am attaching my result of hair transplantation for your assistance.

3 You can think about my doctor Dr Pradeep Sethi & Dr Arika Sethi in india bcz i am highly satisfy with my results and natural looking hair line. If you want any help i can provide you. You can see my hair line in my attach pic.

see my attached pics for your help

So do you represent them?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own view which i am sharing. I have been searching about hair transplantation since 5 years, and almost contacted all the doctors of india. Earlier i thought i should not get the surgery done because of scar and all side effects. But after my amazing results i can assure fellow patients about good results without side effects from good doctors. Before my transplantation i couldn't any guidance from any patients. I found this network very informative.So i am sharing my journey story here. I am only sharing only information my opinion not promoting any doctors.

Edited by Balbir

@Balbir

Can you get a glimpse of the aesthetic results within your donor? I am curious as to how well your donor has healed as of yet? Thanks for sharing!

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Tread carefully. Look for docs with high caliber results in fue. If you want to cut your hair short then go fue. If the strip scar doesnt look good, then your physiology can be blamed or you will waste time with revisions and surgeries trying to get things fixed. Once you are cut, you are cut. There are reasons why some fut patients look for other ways to conceal scarring such as micro pigmentation.

Look for doctors with very high and consistent yeilds in the surgery type of your choice. Best of luck.

Hello WHTC,

I have no issue on the donor area till now. My doctor had extracted 4303 grafts from scalp but right now i have no scar on the back side. My friends and family members can't make out from where the grafts are taken.

I am attaching my 4 months and 6 months pics after transplant.

Please have a look and give your valuable comments.

Thanks

20131027_182055.jpg.90a54d7e764c8ea9f79a00001f44b92d.jpg

20131027_182102.jpg.40b99d4b4acbc3e802145b5bafadedfb.jpg

20131027_182113.jpg.5a60f98fc4e0dc678f4df5e769295889.jpg

20131027_182122.jpg.ae9ff2883ab48022027c8e98676b3956.jpg

20131027_182130.jpg.9cdfe036f9cf84b765c376a67bfed390.jpg

20140407_134426.jpg.108b535b8f3a33ec1049a48ea35ec040.jpg

20140407_134434.jpg.9753c5d8d06a9de78f12228bfe88b82b.jpg

20140407_134448.jpg.7e8f157f01d4a2752bb4ad8a3bdca67f.jpg

20140407_134503.jpg.72265daf27a301d830f7f75edb48d0a4.jpg

20140407_134513.jpg.b1bcf047cb783c616a6707a6826e1d8e.jpg

Balbir,

Do you have any shots of you looking straight forward to see your frontal hairline?

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

Balbir, I look at the 4 to 6 months photos and I see good growth. I hope to see more photos of you results in the future. You have come such a long way...