For a strip scar repair what would you advise? In desperate need of help.

Hey guys im extremely unhappy and depressed with my fut hair transplant. im only 20 so this greatly increases my depression because my youth is vanashing before my eyes,

What would you guys advise i have researched so much that im showing signs of carpal tunnel, all i do is research for the past 8 months. 24/7 researching, as i am to depressed to do anything else.

So im conflicted on what to do for my strip scar. I get mixed answers and i also have mixed feelings on what to do.

Im thinking of getting fue into my scar but..

I dont want to waste grafts into my 5-7mm scar when it can go on top into my hair line (my scar does not go ear to ear, it goes from my left ear to the middle of the back of my donor area)

So im also considering getting a revision with a top revision doc to make the scar 1-3mm hopefully so i can save fue grafts and later on graft into my revised scar with less fue grafts so i can have more donor hair left over.

But im worried a revision will only make the scar wider,

What should i do?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fue and smp from reputable clinics with proven results

have you looked into SMP yet?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

hi hrsp

i know all about smp,

id say they get good results but i would leave that as my last option if all else fails

thanks for your input though

i was thinking fue with dr lorenzo or bisigna or even mwamba

but i also have revision on my mind so i could use less fue grafts

but idk who would be a good revision doc that can promise me a smaller scar

No surgeon will promise you a smaller scar.. They will all show you pencil thin scars in the brochure and the before/afters but when you do receive a wide scar it is "Oh that is just how some people heal/It is your physiology". Of course when the scar turns out pencil thin, all the praise is on the surgeon. Sadly the patient is the one who ends up with the burden of a stretched scar while the surgeon continues performing strip on un-informed patients...

I know this doesn't help you directly, but no surgeon will guarantee your scar will improve, not in writing or otherwise. Because it is unpredictable. That fact that this important detail is almost always omitted in the consultation/pre-surgery discussions is a downright unethical in my eyes.

Aaron,

Sorry to hear how you are feeling, 20 is very young to have had surgery in the first place, how did the transplant turn out?

You have options which have been mentioned but firstly when was the surgery carried out was it 8 months ago?

Scar revision- if you have good laxity then the scar might be able to be revised and improved if it is 5-7mm wide. Scar revisions are unpredictable and I doubt any surgeon working on a scar from another clinic's work will promise you a scar 1-3mm wide if you are looking at this route a in person consult is essential.

SMP- I have had this into my scars and it has allowed me to wear my hair shorter but again is unpredictable and a test patch should always be carried out into scar tissue as in some cases it just disappears straight away.

FUE into the scar might be the best bet if the scar is borderline whether it can be revised to good effect, if you are worried about using valuable scalp hair then why don't you consider beard hair. EJJ has posted all about his beard hair into his scars with excellent outcome with Dr Bisanga on here.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hi Aaron,

I am sorry to hear about the position you find yourself in. Please see the link below,

and I hope it provides some encouragement that something can be done.

The main thing now is that you do not rush into a repair or revision.

If this was your first strip then you need to consult with a physician who has lots of experience in revising scars as they may well feel that this is the best way to go. Alternatively FUE into scar worked for me.

All the best

ej

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160800-scar-repair-1032-beard-hairs-dr-bisanga.html

hi garage land. the transplant is turning out ok i guess, but im 9 months post op so maybe it might get a little better?

ill will consult with doctors who are masters in donor closure

mickey i agree with you fut surgeons have the most unethical intentions, i cant even begin to explan, i cant explain in words the pain im feeling, i feel like i have been given a life sentence in prison

hi garage land. the transplant is turning out ok i guess, but im 9 months post op so maybe it might get a little better?

ill will consult with doctors who are masters in donor closure

mickey i agree with you fut surgeons have the most unethical intentions, i cant even begin to explan, i cant explain in words the pain im feeling, i feel like i have been given a life sentence in prison

You don't have to feel that way... On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is the depression? 10 being the worst.

Hi Aaron,

Before rushing into another surgery at such a young age, I really would wait and just see how things turn out with the scar.....I know it is easier said than done, but the very worst thing you can do with your hair is act out of desperation.

You may also be seeing things which other people are not, and it may not be as bad as you think. If you post a couple of photos here you will get some honest feedback from good people.

Hi Aaron,

Have you got any pictures you could post showing the scar?

As I said earlier do not rush into anything, if you ask a lot of Doctors are they " masters at scar repair" they will all say the same thing.

It is critical that you don't make your situation any worse, believe me I know how you feel I had a `20 year repair journey` or prison sentence` as you refer to it.

Now is the time for a cool head, consult with some Doctors and meet people who have had repair procedures, I am available to meet if you need some support.

All the best

ej

Is this a ethical Dr ? I dont think so.

Any surgeon that performs a HT on a 19 year old Norwood 3 is unethical in my eyes, I don't care who it is. The only exemption would be something like repairing a patient who was disfigured due to an accident or repairing another surgeon's failed HT etc.

Fue2014, idk what your guys definition of rushing is?

i have taken alot of time to research and i know of the best fue docs.

i will wait until at least 1 year before having any repair work

i will post photos soon

Ej where do you live?

Mickey what makes you suspect that you know who the surgeon is (without giving too much away), or you may not be able to say here......

Hey buddy, just intuition.. I could be totally wrong however but you do get a sense of the surgeons out there who would work on someone as young as 19... Being a coalition member also narrows down the field of suspects also. But like I said, I could be totally wrong...

Hi Aaron,

I am in the UK, skype is an option also.

I am glad to hear that you will wait a year or so before deciding on anything, scars can change, they can become softer or harder, raised or flat, they can change in colour also, becoming a pale white or develope a soft pinkish tone if the blood vessels re-establish, all this can change the scars overall appearance and how best to proceed with any repair.

For the moment try a little eyeliner (available from the chemist/pharmacist US) use the brown not black as it is to dark, rub a little on the end of your finger and then rub your finger over the scar it goes a long way to disguising it. Also try to grow your hair so that it falls over the scar. All this takes away a little of the pressure.

Talk Soon

ejj

to the original poster……

You have a lot of moving parts in play here. First and foremost, I would seek some help on working through your depression. That needs to be dealt with on its own. Thats a very real issue that can be managed. Lots of men go through it, but the degree to which it effects your well being and ability to be productive is a separate issue. So, get some help. It's not uncommon.

Back to dealing with your strip scar. Is the scar visible? Is there shock loss around the scar that hasn't grown back? Obviously, pictures help the forum give you productive and valuable feedback. If you're uncomfortable providing pictures, then we will just have to give the best recommendations we can:

1. I'd probably go see Shapiro Medical group in Minneapolis to evaluate your complete situation. Matt Zupan is a great help and can help you evaluate your options. SMG has capabilities with FUT, FUE and temp SMP. If there's a surgical/non surgical solution available, Matt can help provide you the information to make an informed decision.

2. Seek a doctor to help with the depression. It may sound silly, put you're in a temporary phase in your life whereby factors outside your control are determining your happiness and well being. As you get older, it will get better. But get help now so that the depression doesn't prevent you from making other positive decisions in your life.

Good luck……I can only assure you that it will get better as you get older. Dealing with hair loss is traumatic for some (most on this board included)…no doubt. But it's just another challenge to deal with. Control it. Get healthy and make educated, productive decisions.