Hair After Transplant (both native and transplanted)

My first time posting, but have been a long time reader. Long story short, I am 32 now and had a 3500 FUT transplant in April of 2012 and the results were pretty good. I was a Norwood 4 and now I have decent coverage. Still a little thinner than I would like, but I at least have a hairline again. Definitely contemplating a second of about 3500-4000 later this year.

I have been on Propecia (generic) since the HT and 5% minoxidil as well pretty faithfully. I also started Nizoral about 6 months ago as well (on and off because I thought it could be causing more shedding).

I have two main questions/concerns that are driving me kind of crazy. lol

1. The transplanted hair seems to be staying pretty well, but I swear it was stronger the first year along the hairline (especially the first 8-10 months). It just feels thinner now than when it was growing in. Has anybody else experienced this? I have gone back to the doc for checkups and he says it looks great and that the transplanted hair isn't falling out, but for some reason it just doesn't seem as dense as it was as the hair was growing in for some reason. Maybe I am just getting used to it, but I don't think so.

2. The native hair that wasn't touched seems to be thinning more the past 6 months. Yesterday I actually ran a comb through the back part and got a bunch of hairs. It really disheartened me. Went to a dermatologist a couple weeks ago for some dandruff that I have had the past few months and they gave me some topical to use for a while to curb it and it seems to be working pretty well.

My fear is that I don't know why I seem to be losing more native hair than I was. My scalp feels itchy and anytime I run my hand through the back part I find a few hairs in my hands. Also, when I shower in the morning I almost always find several hairs on my hands when I am shampooing. I try not to look, but it's so hard not to! :)

I am sure the stress this is causing me isn't helping, but it's a vicious cycle ya know. Overall, I am glad I have a decent head of hair now that I can style, but the fear of losing much more scares me. The doc (who is awesome btw!) said a couple months ago when he saw me, that a second HT of 1500 in the front and 2000 in the back would really do wonders. He also said I have enough donor for another HT or maybe two.

I am just afraid that I might be chasing something that is inevitable and not sure why the native hair is falling out more the past few months when I have been almost religious when it comes to the Finasteride and Minoxidil. Very frustrating and just would like some support here and possible guidance.

Thanks so much!

It doesn't seem likely that your hair would become "thinner". The caliber of the transplanted hair shouldn't change over a short amount of time. Is it possible that you had some existing original hair around the transplanted area and some of your original hair may have fallen out naturally and this is making you ....think....the new transplanted hair seems thinner? Just a thought. Hang in there!!!!

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The only thing I'd be worried about from your situation is Nizoral.

Don't overuse it as it can really kill a decent HT result, I've been there before and the reports on this forum are out there too. Overuse will cause sheds.

If you're not using it for dandruff or scalp problems, consider rotating it out with another gentler shampoo.

I have been an early grower with each of my procedures, achieving very significant cosmetic

change after just 5-6 months post-op, current HT included.

I think folks here have mentioned before that during the initial growth spurts, all of the hairs are on the same growth cycle which later on gets reset back to the normal growth cycle for each hair, so some may shed to grow back later.

So the initial wow factor, and then the hairs returning to their original growth/shed cycle is maybe what you are noticing.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks guys. Not sure about the Nizoral either. I have read a lot of things about it and some seem say it helps and others not so much. Both my HT dotor and my dermatologist said it was good to use but my scalp is still soooo dry and I don't know why.

Everyday lately it feel like I take a shower and lose more hairs than I should and it scares me. I've been letting my hair grow a bit, because to be honest I am a little scared to cut it too short at this time.

This is very frustrating because I keep doing the Propecia and I am going to switch back from Kirkland brand Minoxidil to Equate, because I have read some things that Kirkland causes dryness.

Thanks guys. Not sure about the Nizoral either. I have read a lot of things about it and some seem say it helps and others not so much. Both my HT dotor and my dermatologist said it was good to use but my scalp is still soooo dry and I don't know why.

Everyday lately it feel like I take a shower and lose more hairs than I should and it scares me. I've been letting my hair grow a bit, because to be honest I am a little scared to cut it too short at this time.

This is very frustrating because I keep doing the Propecia and I am going to switch back from Kirkland brand Minoxidil to Equate, because I have read some things that Kirkland causes dryness.

Both my HT dotor and my dermatologist said it was good to use but my scalp is still soooo dry and I don't know why.

Nizoral is good for killing yeast and the fungus on your scalp that cause dandruff, but it will make your scalp dry and also will really dry out your sebaceous glands making your hair brittle. Once it reaches this brittle stage hair will literally just fall out so be careful.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/135193-nizoral-shedding.html

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Nizoral is good for killing yeast and the fungus on your scalp that cause dandruff, but it will make your scalp dry and also will really dry out your sebaceous glands making your hair brittle. Once it reaches this brittle stage hair will literally just fall out so be careful.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/135193-nizoral-shedding.html

Is this reversible? I do feel like my hair has taken a turn the past few months for the worst and it scares me a bit. Very dry and very brittle. Want to get the softness back and get it back on track.

I think a few hair cycles without using Nizoral will help for sure

go dense or go home