2,800 Grafts with Dr. Cooley

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I wanted to provide an update of where I am at since undergoing my procedure with Dr. Cooley. I am now officially seven months out and I could not be more pleased. I think most of the hair has already grown in, however I have noticed the transplanted hair getting stronger and thicker every day. The results are very natural and I am extremely glad I have been able to go throw this entire process without anyone ever knowing. I am going to wait for the year mark and then decide if I am going to do another procedure with Dr. Cooley or not. I would say that my hair is where it was in my early to mid-twenties. I think with a few thousand more graphs I could get back to where I was in college. Ultimately, I'll talk it over with Dr. Cooley and see what he suggests. Really glad I went through with this. I know hair transplants are not cheap, but I don't think I could have spent money on anything else that made me feel this good.

5b32e146bfcd6_Photoon9-14-14at4_05PM.jpg.c8f75a3aa75c06e56c0feb97dac242e0.jpg

5b32e146ce744_Photoon9-14-14at4.05PM2.jpg.538d1cdc293371b4e2b273ec2c1850c2.jpg

5b32e146e286d_Photoon9-14-14at4.05PM3.jpg.1390c662677daa16b94fc442f78114dd.jpg

5b32e14702579_Photoon9-14-14at4_06PM.jpg.a31521989c418221840619c8231a9b89.jpg

Agree completely! The only thing I'd tell you is, I'd say wait. From your pictures, things are looking great. You're in good shape, and who knows what the technology will be 5-10 years from now when you might want a touch up? It's only getting better. Either way, Dr. Cooley was/ is light years better than what I had done previously. I'm very happy too.

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html

• 1 month later...

Question: How do you decide on getting a second HT? I mean, obviously if you think you need more hair up top, but...

Technically for my consultation (and what I paid for) was his recommended 2500 grafts. I asked him before the procedure if we should bump that up to 3000, and he said he didn't think I needed it. He ended up yielding 3200 grafts anyways, which is amazing of course.

But then theoretically why would I (or you) need to go for a second one unless I lose a lot more over the next year or so? Why wouldn't he have gone for 4000 the first time?

And I guess more to your own situation, why didn't you get more if you now think you need a second trip?

I guess I'm just wondering why they wouldn't try to harvest much more on the 1st HT if it's expected you might need a 2nd? I sort of feel like I might still need more/2nd procedure (too early to tell), but then would've liked to get that 4000 the first go around.

Straight up vanity, I suppose. I really do not need a second procedure. My hair, after seven months looks more solid than I could ever have dreamed of. I am 34 and my hair looks like it was at 24. That is not an exaggeration. I get a lot of comments on my hair and how it looks great for my age. Shallow? Yes. But it makes me feel good. I think with one more hair transplant, I would go from having good hair to having amazing hair. I did not think I would get the results I did after the first transplant, but now that they are coming through I am a 100% believer in the HT. With another 2,500 graphs I think I could have Hollywood style hair. Dr. Cooley was absolutely right on the graph numbers he recommended an about being conservative. I think that is a testament to his professionalism and dedication. I got everything I asked for and more...but now, I am greedy. The responsible thing to do is wait, I suppose in the event that better technology is available in 10 years or I lose more hair and need to call in the reserves. I think I am going to wait on a second procedure, but I don't know...life is pretty cool with good hair. I don't mean to sound cocky or like a d-bag, but I am just super happy about where I am at right now.

I do not blame you at all. And good for you. Obviously the reason all of us are considering (or have done a HT) is to make ourselves feel better. Some people don't really care and allow themselves to go bald. Others shave their head, and that's a look they like or makes them feel comfortable. Other people.. like us.. would like to still have our hair. So whatever makes us feel better about ourselves, more confident, less stressed. I'm right there with you.

I just hope I can say all the things you're saying now. Now at 3 1/2 months and just not seeing much action up there. I know you said 4 months it still sucked. But did you see anything popping up .. little tiny hairs... or similar to post transplant where you had a slight stubbly look starting to happen? Continue to be skeptical that what I've done is going to get me to where you are... happy with the results, and only thinking greedily for any more than received.

• 3 weeks later...

I am cured! Well, not really. If only hair loss was that easy, right?

What I mean is that I am back to around a Norwood 2. My hair looks awesome. I feel great. I no longer wear hats out in public.

I think for 34 years old I have awesome hair. Thank you Dr. Cooley. Thank you so very much.

But I suppose it is not all sunshine and roses. I stabilized my hair loss with Propecia, but I imagine at some point in the future I'll be back to battling loss.

My hope is though, I can maintain what I have now (and I think I will be able to) for another 10-12 years and at that point who knows what will be available.

Hair Transplants aren't cheap. The process is frustrating. But this is by far the best thing I could have spent $10K (I think it was around there) on.

Good luck to everyone out there. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

I will do that. The density has really come in since the last time I posted photos. I was taking pictures on this MAC from like 2008 and it always makes my hair look limp and shitty. In fact, it makes everything look pale and gross. Anyway I'll get some up later on this evening when I get home.

Can't wait to see where you're at with your picts. Have you thought about Rogaine as well, or instead of Propecia. I can speak from experience that Propecia f'd me up in many of the wrong ways. Just be careful.

I'm thinking Rogaine, but trying to figure out if it's worth it to help things along and if it will improve on top of the HT. It seems like a hassle twice a day, depending on how your hair needs to be to apply it out of the shower, and how soon it dries (i.e. when you can apply hair product). Any thoughts there?

As requested here are some photos as exactly eight months. Please forgive my camera. I am using an old Macbook Air and the photo quality is not great. I would say that it actually makes my hair look worse than it really is. I tried a bunch of angles and used a variety of flashes. What do you think?

5b32e292bdc72_Photoon11-12-14at11.42PM3.jpg.963cea0b6887678062db0ec6af370f34.jpg

5b32e292dce21_Photoon11-12-14at11_43PM.jpg.312b4cde7d629bdf0a59ae7bc362d21a.jpg

5b32e292e98be_Photoon11-12-14at11.43PM3.jpg.60e66bc6c6988c113d451252686015ca.jpg

5b32e2930cde0_Photoon11-12-14at11.43PM4.jpg.295826ddc51132aacfc60ddfd973b06b.jpg

5b32e2931d757_Photoon11-12-14at11_44PM.jpg.f5d23696c99149a813309dc64b654f09.jpg

5b32e2932e187_Photoon11-12-14at11.44PM2.jpg.25457e1b4ecc1810448a65890193aca3.jpg

5b32e2946a360_Photoon11-12-14at11_46PM.jpg.0761d5a5bc9df0ca681f750fb3956e51.jpg

I have never tried Rogaine. I use generic Finasteride and haven't experienced any side effects at all. I think it really helped to stop any further loss. But I would stop in a second if I experienced any of the potential side effects I hear on the commercial.

I live and spend a lot of time at the beach from March until August surfing and such. As a result my hair gets extremely blonde during the spring and summer. Now it is back to its original color. The transplanted hairs are the same color as the rest of my hairs.

It is actually the left that is not quite as filled in as the right. But I think it is more that the right has come in really well rather than the left coming in poor. I may go back in and have them do a small session on the left, but really I am more than fine with how it is now. Plus, I am only at eight months and probably have a few more months of growing left. Also, I do think some if it is the camera.

I will say this. I work in a very,very bright office building. It is filled with those horrible lights that make even people with great hair look poor. Before, when I stared in the mirror you could see through my hair and to my scalp. Now you can't on either my left or right.

• 1 month later...