FUE post op - is this normal?

I am 12 days post op from FUE with a top renown doctor. Already did FUT last year. After the surgery the hair in the receipient area was much thicker and visible. Now 12 days later some of the hair is very thin or is even gone and it's just my skin there now. Is this normal? I'm worried the transplanted hair didn't take. Does the hair need to cycle and get thicker again after surgery? With my FUT I didn't see a lot of thickness until 10+ months out. But it looks like lots of my FUE hair is disappearing!

I'm 12 days post op FUE too :) I'm wondering if you're experiencing shock loss early. Does shock loss affect the transplanted hair and sometimes the already existing hair too? Maybe that's what's happening to you. I really haven't noticed any shock loss yet. But I know it'll probably get worse before it gets better, so I'm hoping that it's safe to buzz back down in about another week.

Good luck.

John,

It does sound like it may be a combination of recipient region shock loss and early shedding of the transplanted grafts.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

After my procedure(strip) the native hair disappeared drastically after about 2 weeks along with the transplanted hair. It looked MUCH worse than pre-op. Took about 4 months for it all to come back. Temporary shockloss is quite common.

So when we talk about shock loss, it can be a combination of native and transplanted hair?

Transplanted hair has the tendency to 'shed' circa 2 weeks post-operatively and goes into a dormant phase up until circa month 3, where the grafts begin to blossom after this point. Native hair can go into shockloss if the incisions are placed close to them. I had a decent amount of native hair in the areas implanted in and by the 2 week period, the areas were BARREN. I looked much much worse than pre-operative. However the native hair did come back.