Techniques for less visible FUE scarring?

jbrant

I've seen lots of physician or reps posting results of FUE patients and there seems to be a range of conspicuity regarding scarring in FUE sites after healing. I think the chief reason for the discrepancy has to do with the lighting and degree to which the scalp has been shaved, but I wonder if techniques have anything to do with the results.

Lorenzo, for example, seems to have great growth and coverage from FUE, yet his videos show quite conspicuous FUE scar sites, the "polka-dot" look when healed donor area are shown on his videos, but then again his clinic is very transparent with lots of photos pre and post op taken in consistent lighting.

Other physicians have tackled this by using A-cell in the FUE sites, and others by varying punch sizes and tools for extraction.

Is there any consensus of tools, techniques (A-cell, etc) or otherwise that minimize the conspicuity of FUE sites?

currently yes in terms of scarring until Pilofocus becomes available

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

FUE is a best and latest technique of hair transplant. It is a scarless and stitchless method of hair restoration.

I disagree with this statement. I have seen plenty of FUE that have already run it's course and the sparse donor area is a real problem. When you take hair away using FUT you at least close the gap of where the hair was removed. It will of course leave a scar but that is going to be dependent on your surgeon and may be a very slim scar that will never be noticed. The nice thing is the thickness on the back of your head stays the same.

Now in the case of FUT you have the same amount of skin on the back of your head but significantly less hair due to the hair that was removed. It is FAR from "scarless". Think about it. For you to put hair somewhere else you need to take it from somewhere! Sure you can spread out the donor dots on the back of the head and thin the back of the head for a thicker frontal or crown, but you will eventually notice the less thick back of the head.

Then consider future surgeries which almost all happy HT patients must endure. You will have a sparse donor area to work with. Doing another FUE may be very unwise due to thickness in donor area and doing a FUT at this point will yield less hair and still give you the scar that FUE tries to avoid. With FUE it's very important to understand that hair loss is something that will continue till the day you die, with or without medication. FUE at a young age is extremely risky. Try to think about what you will look like 10-20 years down the road understanding the fact that even donor hair will thin naturally.

I know there is a lot of discussion over these surgeries but I just wanted to clear this up so people don't read a one line, subjective comment and actually believe that FUE is the end all be all option in HTs. Newer method..yes. Better method...depends, but probably not in most cases.

Good luck.