If MPB starts early, does it mean that the guy will end up with NW7?

sheraz104

I started losing my hair at age 14. Does it mean that I would lose more hair than the average MPB sufferer whose hair loss started in 20s or 30s.

In my family, I'm the only one who started balding in teen years. None of my cousins on the both sides(faternal or maternal) are showing even any minor sign of hair loss and only a couple of uncles have passed the NW5 stage.

So does an early sufferer end up with a higher Norwood than the late suffer?

My other question is this that is their any relation between the degree of recession on temples and the final NW pattern you end up with? like if a person's temples recede upto the ears then is this the indication of advanced hair loss pattern in future?

Thanks

Both of your questions are indications that the person will end up as and advance NW level, but like everything related to hair loss, there are no guarantees.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hello Sheraz,

Unfortunately, one's final hair loss pattern is unique to each individual. However, early hair loss is certainly an indicator (yet no guarantee) of advanced hair loss. I would look at your father and maternal grandfather first to get a general idea of what to expect. Finally, I would also advise to consider Finasteride to stabilize your hair loss.

Best of luck to you.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hello Sheraz,

Unfortunately, one's final hair loss pattern is unique to each individual. However, early hair loss is certainly an indicator (yet no guarantee) of advanced hair loss. I would look at your father and maternal grandfather first to get a general idea of what to expect. Finally, I would also advise to consider Finasteride to stabilize your hair loss.

Best of luck to you.

Maternal vs paternal is not a good indicator. This part is pretty much urban myth. You can take the hair loss gene from either side. As a whole, I feel like family patterns are not a good indication based on how many people on the board do not match their families pattern. They may be somewhat helpful but are among the weakest of all indicators IMO.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Maternal vs paternal is not a good indicator. This part is pretty much urban myth. You can take the hair loss gene from either side. As a whole, I feel like family patterns are not a good indication based on how many people on the board do not match their families pattern. They may be somewhat helpful but are among the weakest of all indicators IMO.

Couldn't agree more!

My hair loss started around 17, I'm 40 now. It's been very very slow! On & off Proscar the whole time until the last few years when I've been very consistent in taking it. So my personal experience is it started early but was not real quick to advance.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

My family history on both parents sides are a classic example of why there's no guarantee. Family members range from minimal hairloss right through. I couldn't gauge my hairloss based on my family. Genes play a big part but so does pure luck of the draw

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Mine started at 15/16........I'm now 24/25 and in a healthy state thanks to propecia and minoxidil (and 2000 grafts at the front) but I don't know if propecia is losing its effect or if I am going through a winter shed.

Point being - it's impossible to tell. Everyone is different. You wont believe how much hair I have considering 9 years of loss, but then in another 9 years I could be NW7.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Altogether, losing hair at an earlier age does not automatically equate to an eventual higher Norwood balding pattern. As others stated, androgenic alopecia is very unpredictable. And while genetics may indicate the potential for the disease, familial balding patterns are not good indicators for your own hair loss pattern. Age falls under a similar umbrella. While starting at a younger age and family members with advanced Norwood patterns seem like they should provide an indication of how your own hair loss pattern will eventually evolve, they truly don't.

Thinning of the temporal hairline - in my opinion - isn't a good indicator for advanced balding either. Many low Norwood patients experience temporal hairline thinning and eventually lose their "temporal triangles." The only area I can think of that is truly a good indication of "advanced" hair loss is thinning around the "parietal humps" (the top of the "horse shoe" pattern seen in high Norwood patients).

Hope this helps.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

thanks everyone.

I always thought that my nape hair are just little bit thinning but now as the hair are growing after I shaved last week, I can see that the nape hairline is also receding upwards. No one in my family has hair loss at this place. Is this hair loss is also a part of MPB, and if yes then how much does it progress further?

Sheraz,

It can be indicative of retrograde alopecia. However, this is fairly rare.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Ding ding!!! I think that's why HT surgeons like to wait till 30ish so the pattern may have been established.

I'd put that at 35-40.

Percent of men who will have noticeable hair loss by age 35 - 40%

Some fun facts:

Percent of hair loss sufferers who would spend their life savings to regain a full head of hair - 47%

Percent of hair loss suffereres who said they would rather have more hair than money or friends - 60%

Percent of hair loss suffereres who said they would give up sex if it meant they would get their hair back - 30%

More hair loss statistics:

Hair Loss Statistics | Statistic Brain

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Percent of men who will have noticeable hair loss by age 35 - 40%

I think this figure actually understates hairloss, but sort of depends on your definition of hairloss and noticeable. If recession/temporal thinning is classified as hairloss, I would say about 95% experience hairloss by 35 and if you looked at before/after pictures from when they were a teenager I doubt only 40% would have noticeably less hair... but again depends how closely you're looking I guess.

Percent of hair loss suffereres who said they would rather have more hair than money or friends - 60%

Well that settles that, I'm trading in my 2,000 Facebook friends for 2,000 more hair follicles! I KNEW Facebook friends were worth something! :D

Do not be discouraged by age, if you're responding well to finasteride, and have managed to take control of your hair loss then by all means get a hair transplant, and take control of your life.

If in rare case you're not responding well to finasteride, then forget about an HT because it'll never work out in your favor.

As the hair are growing I can see that the hair from receded temple points, around the ears to the nape are much much finer in diameter compared to the hair on other parts of the scalp. I will attach some pictures when my hair grows a little more. Is this circular thinning also a part of an aggressive MPB?. I just got my blood checked last week and everything was okay except a lil' low vitamin D.

I've been on fin since last June and I don't think that fin caused it as the thinning was obvious well before starting fin.

Thanks

first picture is of before shaving my head and the other one of nape area is recent. There's this

V shape forming on my nape hairline. it feels like a kind of recession. Hair inside the V area grow normal while the hair outside V area grow like miniaturized ones.

IMAG1244.jpg.7a3a1cf122512e00ef6dcefa8ecedf72.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg.3b5b8a9b6c99b5df207290eb87438c4b.jpg

The V shape is probably created as a result of the utilized hair trimming instrumentation (hair groom clippers). The blade of your hair trimmer may have been inadvertently reset to a lower position subsequent to shaving the remainder of the scalp. The V shape could also be the tapering effect from the hair trimmer. Hair stylists will round off, square up, or taper off their clients' nape hair in a balanced pattern. The term that is commonly associated with this aspect of cutting hair around the hairline is called a "shape-up". That said, the area could also be your natural hairline pattern and based on perception.

Is this V shape a recent observation? Do you suffer from any known dermatologic conditions? Also, how often do you shave your head?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The V shape is probably created as a result of the utilized hair trimming instrumentation (hair groom clippers). The blade of your hair trimmer may have been inadvertently reset to a lower position subsequent to shaving the remainder of the scalp. The V shape could also be the tapering effect from the hair trimmer. Hair stylists will round off, square up, or taper off their clients' nape hair in a balanced pattern. The term that is commonly associated with this aspect of cutting hair around the hairline is called a "shape-up". That said, the area could also be your natural hairline pattern and based on perception.

Is this V shape a recent observation? Do you suffer from any known dermatologic conditions? Also, how often do you shave your head?

I rarely shave my head, this head shave was after about 7 years. I think that it has been gradually thinning for the past few years but this V pattern is a recent observation. I have some dandruff and I'm using Nizoral.

This particular thinning in the safe zones starts from the temple points in a circular path and continues till the nape(both sides).