Post-op depression

I don't know if anyone really talks about this or if anyone else experiences it, but for me i've found I am getting a little depressed waiting for my results to grow. A full result takes up to a year and believe me it can be a very slow year waiting for results! You wake up every morning looking at your hair from different angles and under different lights and wonder if it has grown any further. One day you think it looks great, the next you think it could turn out to be a failure.

So far I am at the 4 month mark and I would say from looking at other people at this stage that I am right on track. But this does not stop me worrying. My left side is very thick at the moment and looks amazing. My right side is quite thick and i'm pleased enough. But my middle is still thin in comparison so i'm worried about that.

I think in another 2 months I can start to analyse my results further and by 8 months I think i'll be able to judge what my end result will be (i know it's meant to be 12 months but i think 8 i will be able to tell).

But those extra 4 months i now have to wait are going to seem the longest ever I reckon!

Anyway I just thought i'd write down how I felt as others may experience the same as me and may be able to relate to this.

definitely something we all go through, guess that is why we all hang out here until it grows in fully.

I just sent my doc my five month update changed my avatar and was ready to take a long break.

then last week I lost 1-2 hairs on my weakest growing side due to scalp eczema (dandruff) and now I'm researching SMP, mini FUE/FUT procedures and all types of sh*t to take my mind off if it... :rolleyes:

I know it'll grow back but yeah the whole process can drive you crazy sometimes :)

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I don't know if anyone really talks about this or if anyone else experiences it, but for me i've found I am getting a little depressed waiting for my results to grow. A full result takes up to a year and believe me it can be a very slow year waiting for results! You wake up every morning looking at your hair from different angles and under different lights and wonder if it has grown any further. One day you think it looks great, the next you think it could turn out to be a failure.

So far I am at the 4 month mark and I would say from looking at other people at this stage that I am right on track. But this does not stop me worrying. My left side is very thick at the moment and looks amazing. My right side is quite thick and i'm pleased enough. But my middle is still thin in comparison so i'm worried about that.

I think in another 2 months I can start to analyse my results further and by 8 months I think i'll be able to judge what my end result will be (i know it's meant to be 12 months but i think 8 i will be able to tell).

But those extra 4 months i now have to wait are going to seem the longest ever I reckon!

Anyway I just thought i'd write down how I felt as others may experience the same as me and may be able to relate to this.

That is normal, I went through that. But then time flies and bam, it's over before you know it.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

I found that post op time went by SO SLOW. The best thing that you can do is stay out of the mirror.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I found that post op time went by SO SLOW. The best thing that you can do is stay out of the mirror.

Ha, that's a good one. For some hypothetical perfect people maybe, but I am a regular 2x a day, checking every side, combing (this little hair that I have, it's pathetic, I know), applying Minoxidil.

OP: Interestingly, I also felt bad at 4 month mark. I blamed it on Finasteride but now I'm beginning to think it was the post-op depression you're talking about. After month 5, when I started seeing progress and felt better about the way my hair looks, everything improved, including Finasteride, which now doesn't seem to cause any trouble.

Perhaps it's some 4 month thing? :confused:

definitely something we all go through, guess that is why we all hang out here until it grows in fully.

I just sent my doc my five month update changed my avatar and was ready to take a long break.

then last week I lost 1-2 hairs on my weakest growing side due to scalp eczema (dandruff) and now I'm researching SMP, mini FUE/FUT procedures and all types of sh*t to take my mind off if it... :rolleyes:

I know it'll grow back but yeah the whole process can drive you crazy sometimes :)

Lost 1-2 hairs? Really? Hardly anything to be concerned about. You have an amazing hairline.

thanks man. my goal is to wear my hair wet when going to work so anytime I see loss it freaks me out, getting there slowly though. also I lost hair to dandruff when younger so it's always something that brings back bad memories

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

As Morgan Freeman says in 'The Shawshank Redemption,' Time draws out like a blade. It's driving me a little batty, to be honest. My social life is on hold.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

We all feel your pain. I had my procedure done on December 18th and the front quarter of my head was buzzed. I didn't have a terrible hairline before, but now I'm doing a very noticeable comb-over and I think about it all the time. Your 4 month mark sounds pretty good to me right now. We're all in this together!

OP: Interestingly, I also felt bad at 4 month mark. I blamed it on Finasteride but now I'm beginning to think it was the post-op depression you're talking about. After month 5, when I started seeing progress and felt better about the way my hair looks, everything improved, including Finasteride, which now doesn't seem to cause any trouble.

Perhaps it's some 4 month thing? :confused:

I think you're right, there's something about the 4 month mark that is very unsettling. It has grown but not enough to be happy with the results, so you start to worry it's never going to grow any better. Today it looks a little thicker so i'm in a good mood :cool:

I think as it's post christmas and horrible winter weather here in the UK, plus i've been less social since i had my op done, adds to the down in the dumps feeling i'm having. I am feeling optimistic for the future though. I say bring on spring and the growth that comes :D

I think you're right, there's something about the 4 month mark that is very unsettling. It has grown but not enough to be happy with the results, so you start to worry it's never going to grow any better. Today it looks a little thicker so i'm in a good mood :cool:

I think as it's post christmas and horrible winter weather here in the UK, plus i've been less social since i had my op done, adds to the down in the dumps feeling i'm having. I am feeling optimistic for the future though. I say bring on spring and the growth that comes :D

Well said!

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Wait it out by redirecting your focus on your achievements. Soon each day will be better than the next. Hang in there and stand in front of the mirror as if you have no reflection at all. Worrying won't improve anything for you, mate. Effects of hair loss and surgical hair restoration are not only physical, and the stress is emotionally taxing. The wait is frustrating and is often demoralizing. Continue expressing your emotions in a positive manner much like you have already done. I appreciate you sharing your personal struggle.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 3 months later...

I think everyone is different. I am generally optimistic by nature so I was hopeful and just let it grow.. it is much easier that way.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Today feeling very depressed on my hair loss ,

I should not have tried all theese snake oil treatments.

Praying god to give all my locks back

Finasteride 2.5 months it is not working .

I have lost so much hairs in diffuse and both mpb pattern .

My hairs have thinned or minitiarized all over my scalp .

I think surgical restoration also cannot give a hope .

I have ruined my life using theese snake oil treatments.

I have lost something i loved most . Depressed seriously

Baldness is like a slow poison , i die every die of my life.

Cannot express my feelings how badly i am hurt.

It is something everyone has and i have lost .

Hey man, I'm sorry to see that you are going through such pain because of this.. I think most or all of us in this community can relate...

but your mental health is the most important thing, and it is tough for me to really see the magnitude of the intensity of this emotional pain based on just text.. so I really do recommend you talk to someone, like a therapist or psychologist. It helps to have a live person that you see every so often to work through these intense emotions with you.

I've done that, and it helped me when I was in my early stages of hair loss.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

• 2 weeks later...

my experience has been one of optimism, then at the 7month stage i had a massive shock loss, i seriously looked better at 5-6months, i had been going to the barber shop and then within 6 weeks i was like i cant go back in there, i felt so shit, i went and bought a new clipper set and ready for the #1 shave again, but i feel that most of the hairs have grown back, now at the 11.5 month stage, my crown filled a little bit but i know i will have to go for a top up in the next 6 to 12months for the best result (which was always the plan with my surgeon),

as anyone else had a shock loss at 7months

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/