Sleeping after Surgery

Hello All,

I am going in tomorrow for 3000-3500 fut tomorrow am. Im excited and funny thing, the thing that is stressing me the most (other than the potential shock loss) is how will i sleep for the first 4-5 days? I am a super light sleeper and would love to hear any and all suggestions to get comfy and sleep.

Any other words of wisdom also appreciated.

Thank you

Pitbull good luck in your surgery. It helped my post-op sleeping to have a neck pillow. I got one at Bed, Bath, Beyond for under $10 and it is pretty well made. The pillow helped keep my head elevated in bed and the grafts safer from rubbing against something. I also used the neck pillow in a recliner watching TV post-op for several days.

NeckPillow_zpsedb0c2b8.jpg

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Hello All,

I am going in tomorrow for 3000-3500 fut tomorrow am. Im excited and funny thing, the thing that is stressing me the most (other than the potential shock loss) is how will i sleep for the first 4-5 days? I am a super light sleeper and would love to hear any and all suggestions to get comfy and sleep.

Thank you

Shampoo is right,I'm on day 6 post op and I dont think I could have made it without my neck pillow. Also one thing thats pretty much guaranteed even if you're a light sleeper,the meds they gave me hd me out like a light.Also I kept 2 ice packs handy to switch out .Actually frozen peas will do the trick also.

Good luck tomorrow and try to get some rest tonight

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

scooter thank you.

I see your on day 6, what has been the worst part?

How do you feel now?

Back to work?

What are the peas for?

Can you post more photos? I was curious pre and post op looks like for 3000 grafts like I am getting.

thanks again

I used the travel pillow for almost three weeks and slept in an upright position in 2-4 hour intervals. I couldn't lie down on my head because it felt odd with the numbness. Also, it was still tender from the incision and sutures. I had 3,500 grafts and I'm 2 months out now.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

scooter thank you.

I see your on day 6, what has been the worst part?

How do you feel now?

Back to work?

What are the peas for?

Can you post more photos? I was curious pre and post op looks like for 3000 grafts like I am getting.

thanks again

I feel good ,the only thing is the sutures sometimes it aches a little back there.I just use my neck pillow with an ice pack,take some advil and I'm good for most of the day now.I say frozen peas because they can act as an icepack and they are small enough to conform to your area where you need it the most.Plus when you get all healed up you can eat them to,j/k.

The last time I tried to post a photo on here,I couldnt get it done for others to view,so if you go to my profile and go to my app and then my photo albums are on there.

all the best,

Scott

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

You can experience numbness up to a year. Thankfully I'm starting to regain feeling in my donor area. It happens gradually but I noticed it quite a bit this past week. I feel good overall, but it is quite a journey and you experience new things and sensations all the time. It's part of the process.

I've been sleeping pretty normally for a while now. I avoid sleeping on my stomach with my head to the side because I want to minimize the risk of stretching the scar.

Would I do it again? Ask me again after the full results. I most likely wouldn't do FUT again, but might consider FUE down the road.

Scooter did you have your surgery last week in Dallas or Houston?

Scooter did you have your surgery last week in Dallas or Houston?

I went to Houston

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

Pit

I'll be honest, I didn't sleep good for two weeks.

Couldn't agree more…Frankly Speaking even I did not sleep well at all for 3 weeks…I am a Hardcore Stomach Sleeper. Just cannot sleep on my Back. Imagine for 3 weeks i was doing this not even one single night I really enjoyed sleeping…It felt more like a punishment that I had to undergo…

Sounds like you are sensitive.

As you can see from what other people said, I'm not the exception - i.e. sensitive. FUT is invasive and you have a linear incision from ear-to-ear. It takes time to heal and the scalp is one of the most sensitive areas on your body. Sleeping is not easy for the first few weeks. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Boy you are right.

last night i was throwing up until midnight and only with the help of 2 oxy and 1 diazepam was i able to sleep until 7. ill take it i guess but head really hurt on top, incision hurts more this morning and less on top

Any ideas on how best to sleep, using that pillow is ok but i did my temples as well so I Cannot turn on my side either. can i use a softer pillow and still put the incision on the bed? almost like a neck prop?

3332 graft

6596 hairs.

I think most people who have FUT struggle with finding a comfortable position to sleep in the first several nights. Like I said, I slept in 2 - 4 hour intervals. Just know you're not alone. We've all been there.

thanks for the positive feedback.

Still dont feel RIGHT today.

can anyone tell me what they think about putting ice pack of peas on both the donor area and the temples which appear to be a little swollen from all the local shots i got yesterday.

thank you

Icing the donor area is okay. I lied back against a cool gel pack. I wouldn't ice the recipient area, however. You'll also have swelling in the brow that will move down into your eyes and cheeks. You can ice your forehead, but again, be careful not to touch the grafts.

thanks for the positive feedback.

Still dont feel RIGHT today.

can anyone tell me what they think about putting ice pack of peas on both the donor area and the temples which appear to be a little swollen from all the local shots i got yesterday.

thank you

Perfectly acceptable as long as it is not so cold as to stick to the skin.

I was filling ziplock bags with ice cubes and giving them the once over with a disposable antibacterial wipe before use (just being ultra cautious).

Obvioulsy ice on the grafts should not be done.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Pit

Just be careful with icing forehead. Don't wanna get close to the recipient area. The first two weeks of sleep are just gonna suck no matter what you do. If you are like me, I'm worried about laying on donor scar, laying on grafts...45 degree angle...etc! It's soooo nice when them sutures come out!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

agreed....everything gets much better when sutures come out

Hello All,

Thank you

I agree with some of the other users here. The neck pillow is very very very important. Does not allow head to tilt and accidentally hit something a lose grafts.

Yes you should use the next pillow certainly for the first 4-5 nights and sleep as upright as you can with a couple of pillows behind you for support and one under each arm. Don't be brave, take the painkillers and if you are having trouble sleeping speak to your clinic about some sleeping tablets for the first few nights.

I sleep really badly and not sleeping makes me lightheaded if it goes on for days on end but the sleeping tablets really helped. Once the staples are out you will sleep so much better.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson