Should I wait another year or two

Hi everyone. I am 31 and have just started thinning in the last 2 years. It seems like every time I get a new hair cut, my hair loss is considerably worse. The ugliest part about my hairline is the fact that it is receding un-evenly. My right side is far worse than the left at this point. I have just started propecia and minox treatment and plan to go with that for a little while.

I assume that there are members on here that were at one point, exactly where I am now. I understand that I will probably have to go back for a second procedure in the future if I just get my crown and hair line "fixed" now.

My question to the experienced members on here is, am I too early in the hair loss stages to try and rectify my current loss? Or, am I still to thick in most areas to allow the surgeon to do a proper job blending a transplant into my existing hair?

Also, can anyone give me a rough idea as to how many grafts they think i would need? I only want to thicken my current hairline and fix my crown at this point. I was assuming 2000 grafts.

Thanks for any input, this board is extremely helpful.

5b32dcb3420d7_photo4.JPG.9045bb9bff513599b8370fd35c0e6bb7.JPG

5b32dcb35a3a0_photo5.JPG.faa5ff97b827da268f250e5deb6f5b32.JPG

5b32dcb37cf6b_photo2.JPG.c1d98017a5a6af35faca4a889e747839.JPG

photo.JPG.5138c6be6c0ea6bae9886da3ff3bdc0d.JPG

5b32dcb3acab2_photo3.JPG.f514e2af3b7b18b71ad30fa19c3a59e6.JPG

5b32dcb3c53d5_photo1.JPG.0bfa5dbe57445b997e8140fc1b214b56.JPG

It's interesting how so many people want to address the crown first. You will find that most (if not all) surgeons recommend you take care of the frontal third/hairline first because it frames your face and that is what people notice first. Also, you have limited donor supply (everyone does), so you don't want to exhaust grafts on something most people don't notice right away. The meds should help stabilize the hair loss in the crown area and thicken it up a bit. I'd try that for 12 months and in the meantime research hair restoration and learn everything you can about it. You'll have a different perspective then and go into it well-informed.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

It's interesting how so many people want to address the crown first. You will find that most (if not all) surgeons recommend you take care of the frontal third/hairline first because it frames your face and that is what people notice first. Also, you have limited donor supply (everyone does), so you don't want to exhaust grafts on something most people don't notice right away. The meds should help stabilize the hair loss in the crown area and thicken it up a bit. I'd try that for 12 months and in the meantime research hair restoration and learn everything you can about it. You'll have a different perspective then and go into it well-informed.

Well said by Since21 and I echo pretty much the same info here.

There are so many patients who have uneven hairloss pattern that you're definitely not alone.

Do try to stablize your hair loss first so the limited donor supply can be utilized in the best manner. You can address your crown in the future if your hair loss hasn't progressed much. Since no one knows what Norwood level you'll end up it's better to address the areas that bother you the most, which is usually the top half. The most effective way to stabilize your loss is through Finastride and Rogaine foam. If meds are not something you're willing to do then how you address your loss with hair surgery becomes even more important.

First, how many grafts you need really depends on the goal. You COULD spend 2000 grafts on the hairline alone. In my experience, anything under about 1500 in a hairline and you shouldn't even bother. If you were 45 with stable loss that planned on staying on meds, I would guess that you were a 3500 case. 2000 in the frontal third and 1500 in the crown. That would leave you with hair for the future but would give you a very nice hairline in the from and a decent back. But being 31 with aggressive loss, I don't think that you should follow that plan. I think, if you can, try to follow the advice above. Learn a lot and see where you fall on things in a year. I personally think that there should be much consideration given when implanting into a crown.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.