Looking for some advice please

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and just want to get some advice / tips from people that have experienced similar things. FYI I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

Started losing my hair around 8 years ago and really didn't faze me at the start. I spent a few thousand on laser therapy about 3 years ago that didn't do much and the business ended up going under. This was when I decided to give up and just shave as I believed nothing could be done.

Now is a different story. I'm about to turn 32 and have lost all confidence in myself.

My relationship ended 6 months ago with my girlfriend, I chucked on weight, started to stay in more as I didn't want to go anywhere without my hat. ( I feel like I'm losing friends as I'm making up excuses to miss birthdays, dinners etc) and I continue to work in a job that is doing my health no good all because I can wear my hat.

I now find myself at a very low point all because I don't 'love' myself.

I have signed up to a mind, body, soul retreat to hopefully get me back on track with my weight and mind. While I was at it I figured I would give getting my hair back another crack. (I am over being the bald man)

Looking at my photo's below what to you guys believe are my options?

Medication??

Hair transplant?? ( I've emailed Dr Path in Thailand my photo's. no response yet)

Only thing about the transplant is I would prefer not having the massive scar on the back of my head. I say this because I would continue to keep it short until I was happy with the growth.

Give up and shave?? When I was thinner I didn't mind the shaved looked. When I chucked on the weight I just looked liked a thug.

I know nothing is a quick fix but I just want to get my life back on track.

Thanks for your help.

IMG_2716.jpg.fbeb54e819bcf02d52351bae3f7492aa.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg.9226952f5af280ada8d3be441a23a0f9.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg.fd1457cc91f437da3bd109e1756404ec.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg.91466fe73269dd339916c4899ff586b3.jpg

Looking at the photos I think you have a nice shaped head for going full shaved, so that's a plus. Maybe work on losing the weight for now and just do as much homework as possible regarding a HT in the meantime. A big factor in determining what do will depend on how much donor you have available. And who knows, when you lose the weight and shave your head again you might be OK with your look.

If you do get a HT, you'll probably not want to use donor on your crown area as it will consume grafts (and money) quickly. Maybe focus on just doing the front hairline, that also might give you a better appearance shaved as well. In my opinion do not let anyone talk you into FUT, definitely go FUE. You will then not have to worry about a scar, which you seem to be concerned about. If you have wait and save longer to pay the difference, do it.

Hey man.

In all honesty, if you don't want to have that scar on the back of your head, I'd just bite the bullet and shave your head. I'm not a professional but I think it would be difficult to get the results you want by FUE. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it would be considered a "Mega Session". Maybe talk to one of the well know Doctors on this site and see what they think but in my opinion, don't go through with it. I know I may sound like a hypocrite but my hair loss wasn't as far progressed as yours is (maybe a N3) and I'm 28. I underwent my procedure 3 months ago with Dr. Rahal for 2579 grafts and I'm just getting out of the ugly duckling stage. (Damn was it hard!) Things are looking pretty decent, I guess I'm right on track. To be completely honest, and I may get scrutinized for this, but don't do it. Just start to work out, eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle. Shave your head and just live your life to the fullest and stop being anti-social! It's detrimental to your health physically, mentally and emotionally. Don't waste any more time worrying about your hair, it won't do you any good. Nothing beats a healthy mind and body. I don't mean lose a couple of pounds, I mean get an extreme physical makeover. You'd be AMAZED at what a healthy lifestyle would do to your depression. By the sounds of it you seem a little depressed, is that a fair assumption? I know it's a difficult time when you break up with your girlfriend, I can relate, take my word for it. You start to get all depressed and question your appearance or wonder if you'll ever find another girl. You will, TRUST me. Just do yourself a HUGE favour and get yourself out of this slump! Once you get out of this slump and you get in great shape, you will exude confidence. Chicks dig confidence! :D I know the baldest guys who have the HOTTEST wives/girlfriends because they are confident! My brother is 21 and he is balding pretty badly for his age but he doesn't care at all. He could be hiding his true feelings about his hair loss but I highly doubt it. He is extremely social and he couldn't care less what people think about his appearance. He is, mind you, a Varsity wrestler here in Canada and is in excellent shape. At the end of the day it's all up to you but if you wanted an honest and sincere opinion, I just gave it to you. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Regards,

Rob

your head/hair reminds me of BOBMAN on hasson and wong website

but if you don't want a strip, well maybe you can have a FEW FUE procedures to get that many grafts for coverage depending on your donor, which you really can't tell from the pics.

it will be interesting to know what Dr. PATH says.

get on propecia and minoxidil NOW for a year

you'd be surprised at what propecia will do to your mid and crown especially since you are not totally bald but still miniaturizing

and see where you are at

the best is that you like the way a shaved head looks on you

which you can always do if PATH and medications don't work out

but at least you tried

In all sincerity, I hate advice of the type "if you're confident, you can have every girl". How can you be self-confident if you're profoundly unhappy with your look? It is a recommendation for personality disorder.

On topic: First, buzz your hair. For advanced hair loss, letting your hair grow ends up in a mess. You have a good head shape and buzzing would improve your look immediately.

Second, if you want more hair, get on therapy. Minoxidil and Propecia really work and can produce visible to dramatic results (everything else is snake oil). Generic versions are not expensive at all and come to about $10 a month in total.

Third, consider traveling to Turkey or India for a hair transplant (I think India might be more convenient from Australia, but Turkish doctors seem to have more consistent results). Both countries have some really good and affordable doctors, and you can find some recommendations on this website.

Four, find some new people to hang out with. If you're avoiding your friends that can only mean you don't feel comfortable around them. Training and more activity outdoors might also help. But if you are feeling really down, consider talking to a therapist too.

Did I once say "confidence will get you any girl"? No. I said chicks dig confidence. Confidence in yourself has to last 24hrs a day. There are plenty of girls who would agree that confidence is a trait that attracts them. Unless the man is hideous, I'm sure confidence and a great personality will go a really long way. It all starts and ends with you, my friend. Love yourself. I'm sure you're a great person. Good luck!

I agree with abc, make sure you do your research and have a plan. Going to the right surgeon for the type of surgery fue or fut is key and makes a big difference. Last thing you want is to go to a mediocre surgeon bc of cost or distance and you end up worst off than when you started not to mention throwing away your money but losing precious hair. Im telling you this bc its happened to me. So if you plan on getting a ht, do your due diligence and spend the extra money to get the best surgeon possible.

Melbourne - nice city & I have a couple of friends there. They don't know I've had work done so it will be a shock when I next see them..

Anyway, it looks like you are heading to Norwood 7 territory and the best you can probably hope for is enough grafts to recreate a front hairline/front 3rd that frames the face.

I would try shaving it off, getting temporary SMP to if you like it, and get down the gym. If you are in good shape people will think you just shave your head as a fashion statement and the SMP will give you a 'hairline'.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Don't lose hope. I was a NW7 with a huuuuge loss to cover (I'll try to find images of my crown pre-op, everyone would say it was hopeless) and now with HT, Finasteride & Minoxidil I've managed not only to reconstruct the hairline and top but also to reduce the empty area in my crown by 2/3 or so. Just do your research and make a plan.

But confidence must be ground in something: professional success, money, looks, religious mission, whatever. If you attempt to build confidence out of nothing it usually ends in an even greater disaster.

I beg to differ but that's just me. I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm only giving my honest opinion.

I beg to differ but that's just me. I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm only giving my honest opinion.

Sorry if I sounded like I wanted to impose my opinion, that was definitely not my intention. We're here to talk and give support to each other. All best