Low Hairline question

I plan to begin my restoration work this year with my first transplant. Presently at NW5 hair loss which has been stabilized since '07.

Having read the results on this forum for some years, I wish to combine BHT with head hair FUE's to achieve a high count transplantation, probably over the course of three sessions, one a year. Since body hair will not grow out natural as head hair does on the scalp I will need to have these hairs mixed during the procedures and I will be going with buzzed/short hair the rest of my life. Unnatural results due to trying to grow out body hair long is not a concern in my case.

If the results are there after the first two large procedures and I achieve a density I am happy with, I would consider a final transplant to lower my hairline.

My question then, what sort of hair should we be saving for the final framing of a hairline at the end of the transplantation journey? I don't want to be in a position where I have already used up that hair in the first two transplants. Keep in mind that since I will be doing BHT as well, the source for the final framing might be something other than hair from the nape of my neck.

Thanks

Surgeons like to start with the frontal third as that's what people typically notice first - how your face is framed - and work toward the crown with subsequent procedures. Not the other way around.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I'd like to echo what Since21 said. Start with the hairline (typically you do the frontal third first) and then work backwards. Many NW5/6 people (myself included) initially thinks that the balding crown is the most important to fix. That's a preconception people have because that's the first place most NW5/6s are balding and that's likely what people commented on first when you started balding.

It's not the most important part however. People see your face first. That's where their eyes will be most of the time.

Also, the hairline is what YOU will be seeing in the mirror every day.

If you do the crown first, and you look yourself in the mirror, it will look like nothing has changed. When you have photos taken, nothing has changed... And that's very demotivating.

You haven't posted any pictures nor mention of how many grafts. Maybe you won't need body hairs at all.

For the frontal third you'll need from 2.5k upwards depending on the density desired, your hair per grafts, coarseness, wavy/straight/curl etc etc...many factors to consider.

I have been in contact with a clinic for the procedures and have forwarded my pics and expectations. Up to that point I understand what my results might be and I don't have unrealistic expectations.

That being said, I don't think you two understand the question I was asking. If all goes well and good density is achieved, I might opt for a final procedure to lower the hairline and push out the temples more.

If I want to give myself that option, what type of hairs would be needed for front hairline? I have to make sure that these hairs don't get depleted before I get to this optional point.

Only head hair should be used in the hairline.

I cant think of anyone who's used the approach you describe. Personally I would get the best hairline you can in the first procedure and be happy with it. You might not be a NW1, perhaps not even a NW2, but it is better than being bald.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

the hair taken from the safe zone in the donor area is the only hair that can be used in the hairline,, hairs taken from the nape arent in the safe zone and will most likley fall out as you age, not in all cases tho. i see what your trying to do but as a norwood 5 you have to be happy with a conservative hairline, maybe 7cm high, witch is good, and will look better as you age, my 2 cents

as a norwood 5 you have to be happy with a conservative hairline, maybe 7cm high, witch is good, and will look better as you age, my 2 cents

If I were to transplant only 4000 grafts, I would have to agree with you. If I were to go with 4X that, then the option is there to try a lower hairline.

• 1 month later...
If I were to transplant only 4000 grafts, I would have to agree with you. If I were to go with 4X that, then the option is there to try a lower hairline.

Why would you think that you have 16k grafts?

7cm is very generous for an advanced NW. You could be playing a dangerous game.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

How many centimeters would a surgeon allow a NW4 to lower?

That depends on a lot of factors. Where is the hairline now? If there is existing hair in the hairline, it may not be lowered at all, or it may be transplanted above the existing hair in the hairline.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

That depends on a lot of factors. Where is the hairline now? If there is existing hair in the hairline, it may not be lowered at all, or it may be transplanted above the existing hair in the hairline.

My hairline is stupidly high, it's like 3.1-3.2 inches from my eyebrows to the hairline. Yeah there's hair on it, but if my hairline weren't lowered, i'd pretty much be a NW4 with thick hair and that's not a good HT IMO. What do you think?

My hairline is stupidly high, it's like 3.1-3.2 inches from my eyebrows to the hairline. Yeah there's hair on it, but if my hairline weren't lowered, i'd pretty much be a NW4 with thick hair and that's not a good HT IMO. What do you think?

Have you considered possibly lowering your entire hairline through surgery (the scalp is stetched down), then having a small FUE to cover the scar and lower the hairline a little bit more on top of that? Could save you several thousand grafts. Just an idea, I'm not sure if anyone has actually done this combo before.

Have you considered possibly lowering your entire hairline through surgery (the scalp is stetched down), then having a small FUE to cover the scar and lower the hairline a little bit more on top of that? Could save you several thousand grafts. Just an idea, I'm not sure if anyone has actually done this combo before.

I've never considered that, but I think that's too much cosmetic change in my opinion, I would be afraid of something going wrong. I googled what is an average hairline height for a male, and apparently the unanimous decision among different forums(non hair loss forums) is 4 fingers high, mine is just about 5 fingers. If I can get the doctor to just put it down to where it's 4 fingers, I would be happy,