Considering FUE

Albatros

Hey guys,

I have been lurking on various hair loss forums for a couple of years now. I am a 25 year old man considering a fue hair transplant for the hairline and temple areas.

A little history on my hair loss story. I have always had a big forehead and high hairline since childhood and when I turned 20 I started to notice some recession from the front and temples. I let that go for 3 years as it was very gradual and I was not sure whether it was already happening or not. Since jan of 2011 I have been on propecia and rogaine and seem to have halted the hair loss completely and although I still have a horrible hairline I have no thinning anywhere else at all. I have never experienced any sides from propecia and currently take 1.25 proscar daily, although Im taking a month off to see what happens. My libido is still through the roof and I can put up good weight in the gym.

My mothers side of the family are all norwood 5's and 6's with my dads side eventually ending up 3's and 4's but later in life - hair loss in their 40's.

My main reason for getting a HT would be looks - plain and simple. The way I see it is this. I know I would look a lot better with a lower hairline and filled in temples. If I go to a great doctor and get the fue and say that lasts me 5 years or so that would be great. If the scarring is minimal I can shave my head and get SMP or something. Hopefully in 5 years they have something better than fin - a sentiment so many of us have echoed. I believe that you can't put a price on feeling good and attractive in your early years and I am seriously fed up with my shit hair.

I am currently thinking about Dr. Rahal since he does hairlines so well and is also known for his minimal scarring. I would get fue of course. The other option I see is perhaps waiting for pilofocus to come out. Since it is truly scarless you can shave your head no problem if things go south and laser hair remove the hair from you head or not - whatever you choose.

I refrained from getting a HT 4 years ago because it was wise to wait. If I had gotten one I have had no recession since and could have been living a much better quality of life this whole time.

Anyway here are some pictures. I shouldn't need too many grafts to accomplish what I want to accomplish.

Let me know what you guys think

Remember I won't have a problem taking my hair down to a 1 if I continue to have hair loss - I just need to find the surgeon that can guarantee little scarring (I understand it largely depends on my physiology) so that I can make that happen if things go south.

Thanks

5b32dc919e3cd_AviaryPhoto_130334986051339378.jpg.725698e60bf20f1a0ff4eef16c940e66.jpg

5b32dc9233036_AviaryPhoto_130335015486458123.jpg.e488b0097d10b39389e10124fc6d05ed.jpg

5b32dc924c285_AviaryPhoto_130335015697311379.jpg.a158a69fb43942f34710b3e821a8fe24.jpg

5b32dc9261a6a_AviaryPhoto_130335015921572581.jpg.ff7060df77cf0b890d9c9466b39ea885.jpg

WIN_20140106_111332.jpg.934fa6998c65d3b3922ecb8b7bbd5568.jpg

WIN_20140106_111321.jpg.7b2280bbbc885438fb8e71180ce5db16.jpg

In my opinion you don't need a transplant. In fact, you have a hairline that higher norwoods try to recreate when they restore their hair. So for what it's worth I would recommend not doing anything at age 25.

But hey ho, maybe others will disagree...

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I think it would be wise to continue to wait. You still have quite a nice head of hair. If you go with a lower hairline and if the men on your mother's side are all NW 5's and 6's, you will be chasing your hairline throughout your 30s-40s with the possibility of running out of donor hair. I was very tempted to get a HT when I was your age - I'm glad I waited. At the time I started to lose my hair, there wasn't Rogaine or Propecia. There's no telling what advancements there will be in the next decade.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

If I passed you by in the street I wouldn't think you're losing hair, unless I sat by you closely and I'd still think it's only a high forehead. Your crown is still in very healthy state.

If I were you I'd buy hair vits and stick to a hair diet to keep your existing hair in the best possible condition, that is if you're not doing it already. Buy a decent shampoo like Revita or Niz and try anything under the sun that is natural for hair regrowth before you take the plunge. If you have tiny hairs where your old hairline was, maybe a concealer can help. A HT should be last resort even with the best doctors.

Good luck.

since you are on FIN and REGANIE and your goals and expectations are clear:

to lower hairline and filled in temples

taking your hair down to a 1 and SMP, if you continue to have hair loss

i think a FUE surgeon would definitely take your case, even at your age, if your a good candidate

we can all speculate what we would do if we had your hairline

but you know you don't like your forehead height and the truth is HT is a possible solution for you

caveat

....knowing that nothing is guaranteed with any cosmetic surgery: growth nor scarring

and that HT like any cosmetic surgery might need upkeep over time...meaning more surgery

or like you've said taking your hair down to a Grade 1, SMP, etc. (which you might or might not be happy with...) But as long as you are cool with things not going according to plan....

there's a very good chance that you will be fine if one of the top FUE docs decide to take your case

great FUE docs like FERIDUNI in Belgium will not take your case if you are not a candidate

i think it's worth a consult

I agree your hair already looks great, but I diagree that you should have to wait and do nothing to improve your hair. Although you are only 25, based on your pictures it's pretty unlikely you will go past NW4 anytime soon and you likely have a lot of donor hair available. There's always a risk, but if you go about it the right way, filling in the temples sounds like a good idea to me. Not because you NEED to... but because you want to, you can, and YOLO :)

I'd wait and spend the money on a well-deserved holiday instead. You look good and surgery is a variable you don't need right now in my opinion.

I'd agree with the others and hold firm for now. Stick with the meds. See how things are in a couple of years.

I'm lucky to have had a sun holiday each summer throughout my 20s. (I've just turned 31). Each summer used to act as a barometer in terms of my hairloss.....as my photos year on year would expose a little more scalp in the sunshine. When I was 26 it hit home, and I started getting comments about it. 6 months later on my 27th birthday I visited a clinic and they suggested meds for a year and come back to them. I did this and the meds certainly stalled things. They bought me an extra few years before I took the jump. The closer you are to 30, imo, the better. You have a pretty good head of hair right now so, even though it may not be what you want to hear, I'd sit tight on the meds for another while yet.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

ditto I agree, keep it short on the sides and back and wait til your 30's or later to have a HT.

That's what I looked like around 25, though I wasn't on any meds until much later.

if you don't have any scalp problems and are a good responder to Fin, you could keep most of especially top and crown for long time.

Just ignore any rude f*ckers who bust you about your "high" hairline

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

A high forehead might hurt mate and affect your aesthetic appearance, but honestly do wait for a few years. You have a great head of hair. Stay on the Fin and regain if all OK re sides and halting loss and take your time. Who knows what medical advances there might be in 5 years time even with Stem cell research etc.

Mate you have a great head of hair. I totally believe in taking action to fix our hang ups, lifes too short not to but I would wait and enjoy your hair while you have so much of it, safe in the knowledge that you can do something about it when its needed in the future, but for now, get out there and party, your hair looks great mate

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I really just want to fill in the minor recession and get back my original hairline - you can hardly call it juvenile. I guess I'll wait. What a load of crap though. I really don't think I would have minded as much in my thirties. 20 is too young to start losing hair damnit!

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I really just want to fill in the minor recession and get back my original hairline - you can hardly call it juvenile. I guess I'll wait. What a load of crap though. I really don't think I would have minded as much in my thirties. 20 is too young to start losing hair damnit!

But you are not losing your hair mate, you have a full head of hair!

You have the same hair that I did in my mid 20's and like you, I thought I had less than I actually did.

Enjoy what you have got, believe me, I wish I hadn't worried as much when I was your age, because I'm sure I have worried away hair that I might have kept!

FUE can be done on you. However, at this point I would wait. My old Dracula hairline gave me the impression of a bigger forehead, but I waited until I was forty one to get work done/FUE. The gradual recession started when I was around 24 to 26. In the meanwhile I researched and researched and researched. I have results that I am happy with today.

Give it some more time, no hurry. You look good.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Why would I do this at forty? At that point it won't matter to me nearly as much. I want to look good in my 20s and 30s when I am forging my path and seeking out potential partners. The reason I would get fue is that if things did go south I could still buzz my head and possibly even shave it. Unlike fut which totally eliminates that option. I'm tired of having crappy hair since age 20.

I hear this all the time, " I won't care when I'm (insert age here)". Problem is, you're wrong. You will care and just as much as you do now, maybe even more. Yes, you do have a really nice head of hair but your hairline is a bit, and I do mean slightly, high, there is no denying that. What you are asking for might be reasonable however but we can't tell without a photo and a hairline drawn. If you could do that we could get an idea of what you're after and it may be perfectly reasonable.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Why would I do this at forty? At that point it won't matter to me nearly as much. I want to look good in my 20s and 30s when I am forging my path and seeking out potential partners.

Because you could very well be married and divorced by then and back out there looking. ;)

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Albatros, I understand your position. It’s imperative for prospective hair transplant patients to develop realistic expectations based on the possibility that they may be unable to treat all of their future hair loss. Given your current goals: temples and lower hair line. I don't justify correcting these areas with surgery. You have way too much hair to benefit from a 'session' of FUE. Maybe do a test of 50 grafts another year from now IF you must know how you heal. Maintain your natural aesthetic appearance by continuing your medical therapy. You aren't losing hair, keep it that way...

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 3 weeks later...
Why would I do this at forty? At that point it won't matter to me nearly as much. I want to look good in my 20s and 30s when I am forging my path and seeking out potential partners. The reason I would get fue is that if things did go south I could still buzz my head and possibly even shave it. Unlike fut which totally eliminates that option. I'm tired of having crappy hair since age 20.

You have good looking hair but my honest advice is do what will make you happy, not what others would be happy about you doing. I am your age, 25, and much more advanced than you, i'm a NW3-4 depending on which doctor I ask. I'd like to have your amount of hair loss, probably many of us here would. But that's the problem, some of us are worse off than you so anything better than what we have, is good. If having more hair now will make you happy then do it now. Don't wait until you are 30-40. Like I said, you have good head of hair, but if it will make you happy and make you feel better about yourself then go for it now. On top f that you are on hair loss meds and don't ge any sides, so after the HT, you can stay on fin and keep your native hair for a long time.