Is it Shock loss

Hi, I had my first transplant in Feb mid 2013 for around 5500 (3500 hair + 2000 body/beard) and my second in September 15th, 2013 for another 4200 (2900 hair + 1400 beard). Now after second HT I continued with my minox 2% form till end of october. Come novermber I started 5% rogaine foam and I was having great growth (probably from maturation of first HT). But all of a sudden 3 months after 2nd HT, starting around December 20th or so, I have been loosing hair rapidly all over my head, both from the back and the area of first and second HT. Last 3 days it has become more acute towards the back side (safe zone) donor area. I am lossing hair everytime I comb that region. Anybody has any idea what is going on? I am very worried as my hair has gone from good in december start to very sparse as of today.

Kindly advice all old timers with experience. For my second HT I was shaved, so I do not know of immediate shock loss past surgery.

Have you contacted the surgeon or the clinic about this? You should probably consult them first.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

It is unlikely that you are experiencing shock loss as a result of the surgery over 3 months on, shock loss on most cases triggers around the 2-6 week mark. I think you may be going through a shed caused by rogaine or just a general higher loss of hair than you usually have. Do remember you are hyper sensitive to loosing hairs at the moment and are probably over analysing just how many you have lost, try to relax as worrying will only make the situation worse.

I am sure the clinic will respond to you after the weekend.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Joe,

I agree with Garageland: The shed could definitely be caused by the minoxidil. However, I don't think experiencing shock loss 3 months after a hair transplant procedure would be completely unheard of. I've read references which stated that 3 months could act as the upper limit of the shock loss period. However, it's more likely caused by the minoxidil. Also, your case is a bit more complicated because you had two hair transplant surgeries separated by only (roughly) 7 months.

I think speaking with your surgeon may be helpful as well. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks to all your replies. I stopped rogaine since yesterday. I was worried really because I was loosing clumps of hair even from my permanent zone donor area. why is why I suspected shock loss. but anyways my doctor also advised me to stop my rogaine. i am shit scared. it is a terrible feeling to see significant improvement in your hair and then suddenly in 15 days see it all go literally down the drain. keeping my fingers crossed to see good growth from second HT and recover my shed from whatever is causing it now.

Joe,

I agree with Garageland: The shed could definitely be caused by the minoxidil. However, I don't think experiencing shock loss 3 months after a hair transplant procedure would be completely unheard of. I've read references which stated that 3 months could act as the upper limit of the shock loss period. However, it's more likely caused by the minoxidil. Also, your case is a bit more complicated because you had two hair transplant surgeries separated by only (roughly) 7 months.

I think speaking with your surgeon may be helpful as well. Good luck!

Is it okay to have a transplant 6 months after the first? Could the short time frame between the surgeries be a factor/

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Is it okay to have a transplant 6 months after the first? Could the short time frame between the surgeries be a factor/

Think its not a great idea but I had no choice. I was on a timeframe. But now with this shed I may be more screwed. Lets hope I recover.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just posting again to update. I stopped 5% rogaine on Jan 4th, but the shed continues. This is like 3 weeks of heavy shedding, really bad especially in the sides, temples and the back where the donor was taken. I am begining to believe this is shock loss and not rogaine related. However meanwhile my 2nd transplant has started to grow in a little and things are looking better on top and front where the transplant was done. In fact for first time in several years my scalp is showing in spots but the hair still covers most of it. I am hoping against hope that this stupid shed stops and I can gain back my shed hair. If it does that and my transplant also grows in, I might end up with a very good result. Damn please God....

Do any of the veterans think its a good idea to go to a dermatologist? Has it helped anyone here? Maybe do a scalp bipsy or something.

Yes I did. To be honest it is hard for him to determine what is going on from several thousand miles away. He asked me to stop the rogaine 5% which I already did. But it is pretty clear to me that when I loose so much hair from below my ears on the back of my scalp, it is shock loss. I cannot believe rogaine can shed so much hair there and also hair from the nape of my neck etc. I am really thinking of visiting some derm in LA where I live. The hairs I am losing are not at all miniaturized. Some are super thick and many have the white bulb at the base. They hardly look like poor suffering fellas. It is strange to be a case where I am parallely having shockloss/shed along with growing transplanted hairs. Also the back donor region, I seem to feel some pimple/wound like things when I run my hand in the region I am loosing hairs. Is this common in shockloss? The region feels somewhat wounded and some light burning sensation which I never had for first 3 months postop.

Besides on another thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/172892-fue-donor-shock-loss-4-months-post-op.html

I saw a user called Jenna who works for Shapiro Medical say that she has seen cases where FUE patients had shock loss even 6-7 months after surgery. Mine started 3.5 months postop and now I am 4 months postop. Also I had back to back surgeries within 7 months. So seems to me par for the course.

While I wouldn't discourage you from getting someone in LA to look at it, just be aware that most doctors outside of hair restoration have very little knowledge or experience with hair transplantation. So anything they might recommend, you should consult with your HT surgeon first. I know a great dermatologist in LA if you want a recommendation.

While I wouldn't discourage you from getting someone in LA to look at it, just be aware that most doctors outside of hair restoration have very little knowledge or experience with hair transplantation. So anything they might recommend, you should consult with your HT surgeon first. I know a great dermatologist in LA if you want a recommendation.

Hi I will be very thankful if you could recommend someone. Especially someone who knows about HT's and can give some solid advice. I have not washed my hair in 10 days out of fear of how much hair I might lose. It is terrifying, but I am cautioously optimistic.

They are a busy practice, so if they tell you they don't have an opening for a while, tell them it's an emergency and you were recommended to the doctor by another patient. Again, before you do anything he might recommend consult with your surgeon first.

I did a google search and found this:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/147297-how-long-does-shock-loss-last.html

Read the links provided in the thread and scroll down and read the doctor's response. It doesn't sound like you're going to get a definitive answer, but hopefully it gives you a better understanding of what you're dealing with.

There are other cases on here too as well, with pics too after it grew back.

Sometimes it can last quite a while. Listen to your doctor's advice and don't use any harsh shampoos.

I think I had some at around 3-4 months but its growing back

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Joejohns,

Sorry to hear that your situation is continuing, shock can be unpredictable and of it is that and it seems that your continued loss would indicate that is the case you will have to wait around 3-5 months for it to grow back.

I had shock around my donor scar the first time around and I was panicked like you are but true enough to form by 5 months the situation was looking much, much better.

I have had several patients that have reported the same. Do you have any photos?

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thanks man. It is depressing. However I am not really that worried about my sides and back. I can always shave/buzz it off and keep a hairstyle which is short on the sides. I have also lost some amount of hair on top, much much less than the sides but all of which was from first transplant. I just want to retain that. Thankfully I also got a quick appointment this week with a derm who seems to be world renowned here in LA close to my office. Will update by this weekend about what he has to say.

I will post pictures today.

Thanks for all your responses guy. I got checked by a top Dermatologist in LA (thanks a lot to @Since21 for this). He was completely confident that this is just a Shockloss / Telogen Effluvium due to the transplant procedure. He said 2/3 months, things will be back. I wish him all the success in his prediction. I forgot to add pics, which I will do in a day or so.

Once again thanks everybody.