Does PRP treatment work? (Stem cell injection)

Even I would like to know this, I was digging in to some earlier threads here on this and somebody had posted his explanation claiming himself as a Bio Technology scientist saying how harmful can it be he said something like PRP was some Blood Plasma with testosterone and DHT and why would you want to inject the same stuff more externally in your Body when the same thing has been creating a havoc in your body and is the man culprit of make you lose hair. I got pretty scared reading it. So I dropped that thought of venturing in to it. Also one guy who after his transplant did it said and claimed he lost all his transplanted hair after he had those PRP injections shot in his transplanted area ! Pretty Scary All ! :eek:

Blake (Future_HT_DOC) had actively responded and replied on those threads maybe he can give us some insight on what eventually he thought and is the reality !!

I got PRP along with my HT over 4 months ago and everything so far is coming along great. It's obviously difficult to see exactly what PRP has done for me seeing as I got it with my ht, but I can't complain. I'm due to go back to the clinic in March and get a 2nd round of PRP too.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

PRP is technically not a "stem cell injection" nor should it contain higher level of testosterone or DHT hormones. PRP stands for platelet rich plasma, or blood plasma that is separated from other blood components and enriched (through the separation process) with anti-inflammatory and growth factors. When injected into the scalp, these factors are supposed to help revitalize follicles and restore hair.

As a stand-alone hair loss treatment, PRP is fairly unproven. Some physicians subjectively report significant improvement in patients they treat with stand-alone PRP injections; others believe it offers no cosmetic benefit. Recently, PRP has been integrated into hair transplant surgery as both a medium for graft storage and as a growth and survival treatment for the new grafts, and may have some merit in this context.

Altogether, it may have a place in hair transplant surgery, but PRP's role as a stand-alone treatment is fairly unproven. I do not think it would cause a big shed or lead to further hair loss, but I'm not certain how much cosmetic benefit it offers.

Hope this helps.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

PRP is technically not a "stem cell injection" nor should it contain higher level of testosterone or DHT hormones. PRP stands for platelet rich plasma, or blood plasma that is separated from other blood components and enriched (through the separation process) with anti-inflammatory and growth factors. When injected into the scalp, these factors are supposed to help revitalize follicles and restore hair.

As a stand-alone hair loss treatment, PRP is fairly unproven. Some physicians subjectively report significant improvement in patients they treat with stand-alone PRP injections; others believe it offers no cosmetic benefit. Recently, PRP has been integrated into hair transplant surgery as both a medium for graft storage and as a growth and survival treatment for the new grafts, and may have some merit in this context.

Altogether, it may have a place in hair transplant surgery, but PRP's role as a stand-alone treatment is fairly unproven. I do not think it would cause a big shed or lead to further hair loss, but I'm not certain how much cosmetic benefit it offers.

Hope this helps.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As already noted, PRP as a stand-alone procedure seems to have been fully abandoned by all HT docs that were trying it. Some continue to soak grafts in PRP. This purportedly spurs early growth and robust grafts. It doesn't seem like it would hurt, and for the extra $1k, or whatever it costs, it might be worthwhile.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The doctor I went...told me it cost $4,000. That is alot of money for something that most likely won't really work. I went to two doctor and both of them assure me that I will work, but you are telling me it really doesn't. I trust you more....