Wearing a hart hat 3 weeks after surgery

Hello all,

I have recently had my second HT surgery with a very reputable and well known clinic in Canada. I am going to post my entire experience with many pics soon, but in the mean time I have a nagging question that I need some advice with.

I had 3 full weeks off of work after my surgery and I took care of my new hairs like they were each a tiny new baby. However, now that I am back at work I have to wear a tight toque and a very snug hard hat for very extended periods each day for 2 weeks, then I have a week off.

My question is does the toque and hard hat cut off blood to my new hairs and will this negatively affect my results down the road.

The reason I am concerned is that before coming back to work I noticed very minimal grafts coming out over the 3 weeks due to scabs or the shower, but now that I have been back for 2 days wearing the hard hat I am losing my new hair at, frankly, an alarming rate. Today alone I would say I lost well over 200-300 hairs throughout the day and in the shower.

I understand that I am in the time frame of normal shedding, but it has come on so sudden and I have lost so many in two days that it is a little alarming and unnervingly coincidental with the return to work.

I hope I'm just over reacting, but I had a very very terrible experience with my first transplants results so I'm a little more anxious about these results.

My hair loss clinic doctor is on christmas holidays until Monday and I have to work two more days with my hard hat on before then.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Slightly concerned,

Congrats on your latest procedure. At 3 weeks your grafts are firmly secure so no damage can be done by wearing a hat. You should however try to not have the hat rubbing against the recipient area. You cannot be wearing a hat so tight that you could be cutting off the blood supply to the grafts they are just doing their thing and shedding.

3-4 weeks is normal to be seeing the vast majority fall out and this should be encouraged, really wash your hair as normal at this stage to remove the transplanted hairs.

Within the next week the vast majority will fall totally normal so please don't worry.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson