Poor result from coalition surgeon

kal121

I am silent reader of this forum for the past 5 years this is my first post,I am 22yrs old male from India and I had a hair transplant with Dr.DAMKERG PATHOMNOVICH in july 2013 in which he had transplanted 4055 grafts close to 8900 odd hairs dont know the exact number ,It has been 6 months (10 days short) but still now not even a SINGLE TRANSPLANTED HAIR has grown before attching my pics

I want to tell my hair transplant story I started balding at the the age of 17 I think so by 20 I started using finasteride and then switched to dutasteride which arrested my hair fall , I had a diffuse thinning so I used hair denser to cover my bald had but I was always paranoid that someone might run their hands into my hair and find my hair denser moreover I am studying medicine so I dont have much time to always keep thinking about my hair so I decided to have a hair transplant I researched the internet and found Dr.Rahal was the best hair transplant surgeon in the world and his results were so good so i booked a surgery with him he quoted me 3500 grafts and I paid the entire amount for surgery which was scheduled for may 2013 in november 2012 itself but then came the shocker I was refused canadian Visa I had applied for it for 2 times but they rejected my visa apllication two times with two reasons 1.I dont have any previous history of travel,2.reason for travel Dr Rahals office helped me in everyway they were top notch but as I was rejected visa so I cancelled the surgery

And I started looking for other surgeons in Asia then found that Dr.pathomnovich is the only coalition surgeon so I contacted him he asked me for the photos and he quoted me 4000 grafts 500 more than Dr Rahal has previously quoted but I agreed ,I think this the worst decision that I took in my entire life to have a surgery with him after surgery I returned to my college after 15 days as I am medical student I cant hide my surgery so I told them I had a ht performed in thailand ,the first question including my professor asked why not India I told him that Dr.pathomnovich is a world renowed surgeon and he has been doing it for past 20 yrs I had highly supported him but after 6 months now i realise that even if i had ht performed in India I might had good results by now All my friends now tease me that I am bald even after a Ht surgery yesterday one of my friend told me your Scar surgery result looks too good I was devastated but he is right what I got is only a thick scar around my head thats it today I had trimmed my hair and the scar too looks bad,I feel terrible now that I had WASTED MY TIME MONEY AND THE PRECIOUS GRAFTS

I dont know whether I am candidate for ht surgery anymore ,Today my mom too cried looking at my head I am so devastated that I feel like ending my life

I never thought I would became a victim of bad hair transplant I had mailed my pics to the doctor yet to receive his reply

I had attached my pre op post op and six month result pics many would say that 6 months is not the entire result but I think atleast few hairs should have grown by now but not even a single hair has grown till date

5b32dc8331dc6_postop.jpg.8c8d246fbcdfbd43a00656fa61adae51.jpg

5b32dc83445f4_Beforeht.jpg.ad12190a3069c30c63456d4055232695.jpg

6months.jpg.3e3f7277cb39e3965127ff32d4272d84.jpg

5b32dc83afd7b_scarpic.jpg.40889341f849875fef3a52ee69512255.jpg

Edited by kal121

Did you stay on duasteride after the HT? I agree that there has not been much growth, or at least, there is not a big difference in before and after. However, I have seen several times where the patient deemed it a failure at 6 months only to see a lot of growth by 12.

Did your mother cry because you were balding or because of your scar?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

All my friends now tease me that I am bald even after a Ht surgery

I'm sorry to say, these are not your friends.

You are at 6 months. Don't panic yet. You may have shock loss to some of your native hair. That takes time to grow back. You may be a slow grower. It could be anything. It's easy to compare your results to all the early growers on here, but try not to go to the extreme and deem your HT a failure at this stage. Give it 12 months.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I'm sorry to say, these are not your friends.

You are at 6 months. Don't panic yet. You may have shock loss to some of your native hair. That takes time to grow back. You may be a slow grower. It could be anything. It's easy to compare your results to all the early growers on here, but try not to go to the extreme and deem your HT a failure at this stage. Give it 12 months.

Thanks for your support but I had no shockloss in recipient area these are all my native hairs

I still urge you to give it time and try not go to the extreme right now. Easier said than done, I know, especially with the negativity of those so-called friends. Please keep us updated and let us know what the doc says. Wishing you the best.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Kal,

First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear about the poor experience. It seems like you did all the appropriate research and still feel dissatisfied. If there is anything I (or any other administrator) can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask via private message. I'm going to send Dr. Path an email later today to inform him of the situation and ask that he leave a reply. I'm not sure if you've already shared your concerns with him, but he's one of the most compassionate, professional physicians practicing hair restoration today, and I have no doubt that he will help alleviate some of your problems.

Having said that, I truly agree with the assessment of the above members: At 6 months, your results are only roughly 40% matured. This means that you still have at least 6 months to continue growing and thickening. At this point in time, it is far too early to deem the procedure a failure. The potential for shock loss regrowth and additional shed from adding minoxidil to your regimen is a real possibility as well.

Also, can you share some images of the scar? Again, good luck. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I didn't read your post.

There's not a single paragraph in there which makes it very hard to read. Please can you add some paragraphs to space it out a bit?

Sorry to be a pain :)

Kal,

First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear about the poor experience. It seems like you did all the appropriate research and still feel dissatisfied. If there is anything I (or any other administrator) can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask via private message. I'm going to send Dr. Path an email later today to inform him of the situation and ask that he leave a reply. I'm not sure if you've already shared your concerns with him, but he's one of the most compassionate, professional physicians practicing hair restoration today, and I have no doubt that he will help alleviate some of your problems.

Having said that, I truly agree with the assessment of the above members: At 6 months, your results are only roughly 40% matured. This means that you still have at least 6 months to continue growing and thickening. At this point in time, it is far too early to deem the procedure a failure. The potential for shock loss regrowth and additional shed from adding minoxidil to your regimen is a real possibility as well.

Also, can you share some images of the scar? Again, good luck. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks for your help and support , will attach my scar pics in an hour

Kal,

double post

I didn't read your post.

There's not a single paragraph in there which makes it very hard to read. Please can you add some paragraphs to space it out a bit?

Not really necessary...it was very easy to read!

Sorry to hear about your experience! Hang in there! Yes, the ones making fun of you are not your friends!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I still urge you to give it time and try not go to the extreme right now. Easier said than done, I know, especially with the negativity of those so-called friends. Please keep us updated and let us know what the doc says. Wishing you the best.

Yes what you saying is correct , Its difficult to pass each day with all mocking up about by my looks

Yes what you saying is correct , Its difficult to pass each day with all mocking up about by my looks

First off, your far from bald and your "friends" seem like fools.

Secondly, I suspect your growth will kick in and you will be happy at 12 months. Take comfort in this example. Look at the difference in his hair between 6 and 8 months!!

Hair Restoration Journal for Orion - 6 Months Post Op Dr. Feller

I have to say, it seems like the young men in India are brutal about making fun of other's looks. It happens everywhere but I think it is especially bad in India. I have been there several times. I like the country but man, you guys need to chill when it comes to cracking on people's looks :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I didn't read your post.

Seriously? If you didn't read it then just move on, no need to post on a guys thread who is in a bad spot as the grammar police. :)

Seriously? If you didn't read it then just move on, no need to post on a guys thread who is in a bad spot as the grammar police. :)

Yeah. Maybe I was a bit harsh. But i find it very hard to read when there are no paragraphs or punctuation marks...

And before you say it. English is not my first language either.

Anyway, I have moved on :D

I think that this is a good example of some Asian cultures that Westerners don't understand. While we can take it very hard, for the most part,I think that it is less of a burden on Western men regarding our culture. A unmarried Indian man can and often does get shunned for baldness in ways that we can not imagine. For instance: An Indian man has an arranged marriage, meets is bride to be and he is balding, it is then socially acceptable for her to null the arrangement. Imagine carrying that type of burden around. I have seen on this site these men write things like, "I don't care what my hair looks like in 2 years, it just has to look right for my wedding."

This is why I asked why his mother cried. I was interested to know if it was because of the cultural stigma (Indian culture) or because he sliced himself open for a better head of hair (seems like a Western mother's reaction).

Each of us have our own demons, our own insecurities, and our own pressures. Mine is my jacked up scalp, but in the U.S., I think most people would feel bad for me, not make fun of me or shun me. But, I really feel bad for these guys who are openly ridiculed by women and men alike in such a harsh fashion as you may find in this type of culture. That sucks.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

First off, your far from bald and your "friends" seem like fools.

Secondly, I suspect your growth will kick in and you will be happy at 12 months. Take comfort in this example. Look at the difference in his hair between 6 and 8 months!!

Hair Restoration Journal for Orion - 6 Months Post Op Dr. Feller

I have to say, it seems like the young men in India are brutal about making fun of other's looks. It happens everywhere but I think it is especially bad in India. I have been there several times. I like the country but man, you guys need to chill when it comes to cracking on people's looks :)

Good example.

kal121, Try using minoxidil to stimulate the growth phase. More than enough time for this to come good.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

kal21,

Thanks for sharing your experience and concerns. I honestly don't think you should panic at this stage. I also don't think your scar looks all that bad either, at least in terms of width. The scar still appears a bit red which will fade in time. Moreover, you are wearing your hair on the sides and back of your head extremely short and your donor area appears quite thin. The combination of these factors are most likely making your scar appear worse than it really is. In my opinion, wait at least 6 more months and grow the hair on the sides and back of your head out a bit and see how it looks.

Best wishes,

Bill

kal21,

Thanks for sharing your experience and concerns. I honestly don't think you should panic at this stage. I also don't think your scar looks all that bad either, at least in terms of width. The scar still appears a bit red which will fade in time. Moreover, you are wearing your hair on the sides and back of your head extremely short and your donor area appears quite thin. The combination of these factors are most likely making your scar appear worse than it really is. In my opinion, wait at least 6 more months and grow the hair on the sides and back of your head out a bit and see how it looks.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill, my friend. No disrespect intended but I disagree. I don't think that is a good scar. It's not terrible but its not at all good either. He also doesn't appear to have thin donor to me. I guess that everyone evaluates differently.

I agree that he should grow his hair longer and that in six months he will likely see more hair and a faded (in color) scar, but I don't think that this is width of scar a clinic should strive for.

I have seen a lot of good work from Dr. Path, and this may work out in the end, its just too early to tell.

Respect- Spanker.

View Spanker's Website

It doesn't seem like a very long scar for 4,000 grafts?

I don't think your hair looked that bad to begin with. Why would that doc agree to do 4,000 grafts into a 22 yr old with an almost full head of hair?

I'll bet there's a better ending to this thread a few months from now.

As stated - a young guy with a pretty good head of hair should not have been touched yet.

Being a 'Coalition' surgeon means very little in my opinion.

I urge people to base there decision on case records and other users word of mouth.

Too much emphasis put on the coalition. What exaclty are the requirements to become one?

Being a 'Coalition' surgeon means very little in my opinion.

What exactly does it mean other than they paid a fee to this website to be included in the coalition? Is there someone making money off this site or is it just a public forum?

I agree the scar width appears less than ideal. That being said, I think this is another case of a patient panicking about his results needlessly. I'm not sure how many times we need to say it, but here it goes again: IT TAKES AT LEAST 12 MONTHS TO SEE THE FINAL RESULTS FROM A HT. NOT 6 MONTHS, NOT 9 MONTHS. 12!!!!

And believe me, I understand the negative psychological impact balding, and HT surgery can play. I've been through the process numerous times and each time the thought went through my head (prematurely), "This HT is a failure."

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

yeah, gotta wait 12 months

you'll be able to see areas for concern at around 8 months

but give it tip one year

this is fixable

don't give up. i know these are hard days. But is not worth your life

YOU WILL SEE.

In six months things will look differently and you can make a plan to add some more if needed