Off and on finasteride for conception of the unborn

WHTC-7706631290

Hair loss can be expected to return following discontinuation of finasteride. Generally, the hair returns to its original state as if the medication had never been taken. You might get as far as two months of being off of finasteride before you begin to notice any changes in the appearance of your hair. Patients seeking to conceive can opt to stop for personal preference and precautionary measure. If this is the case, patients should have no problem with restarting finasteride once they’ve conceived. If a child is already conceived, patients can choose to practice protected sex and use a condom if they want to limit any potential exposure to finasteride. Any significant absorption of finasteride into the female's body can cause birth defects to occur. Expecting females should avoid all contact with finasteride. Patients should cautiously handle the medication to avoid risks from exposure. Touching the medication and thoroughly washing off all traces of it from exposed skin should significantly reduce chances of absorption that would pose risks to an unborn child. Remembering to do this religiously should allow patients to remain in the clear.

There’s no significant data available to suggest that the amount of finasteride in the semen of a man taking finasteride poses a risk to a fetus. Available data suggests that patients can take finasteride and achieve conception with their mates without risk to the fetus. There’s no applicable period of time that would require discontinued use of finasteride to achieve conception. That said, there is no known "safe period" or requirement for patients to stop the medication. The level of the drug in semen hasn't been shown to pose a risk to a fetus. Residue from crushed pills poses great risk. These opinions should not take the place of your physician's medical advice.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Who is the author of this post?

Is it Dr. Mwamba?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Who is the author of this post?

Is it Dr. Mwamba?

WHTC,

I think that this is a good post, but I agree, there should be some kind of signature in your post, i.e., some type of user name that can addressed. Otherwise, all statements really are going to be taken as statements of your clinic and therefore your doctor. It would be one thing if you were JUST posting results with a blanket clinic username, but a lot of your posting is more than that, and therefore, there should be someone accountable to that, IMO.

If the mods agree or disagree, that is up to them, but I think it would actually be best for for site and the clinic to keep individuals accountable for their posts and not a clinic and their phone number.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but your posts do seem so "matter of fact" (not just this one) and factual, even though some of it is opinion or clinical policy, (again, not necessarily this post) that I think there should be a person to agree/disagree with instead of an organization.

Also, no one has any background on you and I think an introduction would be appropriate. Are advice threads being written by someone with 10 years in the business or 1 year? Are they original or are they cut and paste?

Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers, I just wanted to throw that out there. I think that an introduction and a username will also get you more "street cred" around here :P.

Edited by Spanker
forgot a word

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

WHTC,

Nicely stated. I researched this while writing an article several months ago and came to very similar conclusions. It seems like the amount of finasteride in semen and whether or not this could have teratogenic effects on a fetus still requires further research and study. As of now, conclusive data seems a bit sparse, and I think this is why it is extremely important for both partners to discuss the issue with their primary care physician and the female partner's OB/GYN. What's more, brand name finasteride (Propecia) tablets are coated, so the only real risk to the pregnant female partner comes from handling broken pills or bottles with dust from smashed or broken tablets. However, it is important to remember that the birth defects from limiting DHT to fetuses (especially male fetuses) can be very severe, so these precautionary measures shouldn't be taken lightly.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Spanker,

I think that is a reasonable request. From my knowledge, WHTC is a representative for Dr. Mwamba's clinic and not Dr. Mwamba himself, but I'm not certain if this statement is something written in Dr. Mwamba's own words; something paraphrased from his medical opinion; or something based entirely on WHTC's own beliefs.

Because of this, I do think some clarification - WHTC - would be helpful. I think we would all appreciate it if you could address some of the above inquires.

Thanks!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

There’s no significant data available to suggest that the amount of finasteride in the semen of a man taking finasteride poses a risk to a fetus. Available data suggests that patients can take finasteride and achieve conception with their mates without risk to the fetus.

My youngest daughter was conceived while I was taking Propecia. She was born healthy and is a healthy and happy pre-teen now.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I post information about hair loss and hair restoration in a technical nature. I attempt to operate as a liaison of hair loss sufferers and prospective patients. I hope to give understanding to those that are getting familiar with hair loss as a condition. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic, but I am here to offer my own opinions. I am experienced in the process of hair transplantation and have seen many patients who have undergone hair transplant surgeries of all kinds. I write about what I have seen in the operating room and what I have discussed with patients as hair loss sufferers. I have worked alongside the doctor for over nine years. My posts share my opinions alone. My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own.

Many things about hair loss and hair restoration isn't really being discussed by many clinics. I intend to shed more light on subjects similar to the subject of this thread. I hope to continue gaining the interest of those who are in search of the unpopular topics.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, good post. I consider this topic to be critical in nature. This is one less thing for a man to worry about while expecting a bundle of joy.

What's more, brand name finasteride (Propecia) tablets are coated, so the only real risk to the pregnant female partner comes from handling broken pills or bottles with dust from smashed or broken tablets. However, it is important to remember that the birth defects from limiting DHT to fetuses (especially male fetuses) can be very severe, so these precautionary measures shouldn't be taken lightly.

No doubt, this knowledge is invaluably important. I'd like to hear from more dudes about the subject of this thread. Stress relief is a huge deal for fathers-to-be.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback!

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*