SMP post-HT for density

Dav7

I'm just wondering if it is true that SMP is good for giving the appearance of extra density after a hair transplant? Also,

(a) How long would you have to wait after a HT to get this done?

(b) Would you have to shave your head for SMP, or can it be done without cutting your hair?

© Would it be a bad idea if you are considering a second HT in 1-2 years time, and if so, why?

(d) Would a HT surgeon be able to recognise the tattoed areas while operating or would they be indistinguishable from the other follicles which are naturally hair follices?

bump, have some similar questions

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

a. That would be a specific to each doctor I believe. I'm thinking about six months, however, SMP is so non-invasive I don't believe it would hurt the actual result as long as you are healed.

b. No, you don't have to shave your head.

c. I don't think so. One of the big problems with SMP right now IMO is that it just doesn't last that long. There will probably be little sign that you had SMP in 2 years. Even if it did last, I do not believe it will be a problem.

d. A surgeon will have no problem, whatsoever, distinguishing between native hair and a tattoo. They are wearing magnified "loops" so it would be not issue at all.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker is correct on all points but I'll expound on answer "d." however in that the surgeon does not need to go in between each SMP dot as the dots are not permanent, the hair is. You'll have to go in again for SMP again anyway so if the doctor makes an incision on top of an SMP dot it won't make a difference in the long run.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

a. SMP is so non-invasive I don't believe it would hurt the actual result as long as you are healed.

c. I don't think so. One of the big problems with SMP right now IMO is that it just doesn't last that long. There will probably be little sign that you had SMP in 2 years. .

a) The last two docs I've dealt with say - 6 to 12 months and at least 9 months.

The problem, one docs said, is not about damaging the HT, it is about the SMP being unstable, as the skin cells move about more post-HT which risks giving the SMP a more blotchy appearance

c) This is only for Milena temporary SMP. We have to stop this assumption building up around here that Milena or Beauty Medical represents all SMP. Most SMP is not Beauty Medical. Jo and Spex have done a fine job in getting the coalition docs on board with Milena it and also in educating us about SMP, but mostly SMP is not of the kind that fades in less than 2 years.

good responses and information above, thanks all

from what I've seen you want to avoid this in the frontal third as it will look unnatural.

SMP seems to be purely for (1) the shaved look, (2) concealing FUT scars and (3) crown or midscalp density.

After looking at many pics and contacting a few of the more reputable clinics, I am no longer considering SMP as a method for slightly more frontal density in the future.

If someone has an otherwise positive experience with SMP for fontal density into hair of length let me know

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)