Finsteride and conception

Sickboy

Hi all

I have been on Finasteride since 2000, with no side effects, and along with minoxidil and an HT, have experienced hugely positive results. I know that potentially there is a risk of birth defects if a child is conceived whist I am using the drug, but my question would be is there an acknowledged safe period I would have to be off the drug for before my partner and I try for a child? i.e. how long would there be traces of it still in my system, particularly regarding the length of time I have been using it? I know the chance of birth defects are extremely slim even if I stayed on the drug, but this is something I wouldn't even think about doing.

As an aside if we did conceive would I be able to resume finasteride, and practice unprotected sex ( with my partner ;) ) during the pregnancy??

Also if I came off the drug how long would it take for my hair to start to thin again, and does anyone have any recommendations to counter this?

Obv I will put all these questions to a doctor but I thought it wouldn't hurt to gage opinion on here, particularly as there are some real experts on this forum.........:):)

I don't think there is a risk of birth defects....I think you may have read that wrong. Maybe a Dr can chime in but the only way birth defects can happen " I think " is even the mother is handling crushed tablets.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hair loss can be expected to return following discontinuation of finasteride. Generally, the hair returns to its original state as if the medication had never been taken. You might get as far as two months of being off of finasteride before you begin to notice any changes in the appearance of your hair. Patients seeking to conceive can opt to stop for personal preference and precautionary measure. If this is the case, patients should have no problem with restarting finasteride once they’ve conceived. If a child is already conceived, patients can choose to practice protected sex and use a condom if they want to limit any potential exposure to finasteride. Any significant absorption of finasteride into the female's body can cause birth defects to occur. Expecting females should avoid all contact with finasteride. Patients should cautiously handle the medication to avoid risks from exposure. Touching the medication and thoroughly washing off all traces of it from exposed skin should significantly reduce chances of absorption that would pose risks to an unborn child. Remembering to do this religiously should allow patients to remain in the clear.

There’s no significant data available to suggest that the amount of finasteride in the semen of a man taking finasteride poses a risk to a fetus. Available data suggests that patients can take finasteride and achieve conception with their mates without risk to the fetus. There’s no applicable period of time that would require discontinued use of finasteride to achieve conception. That said, there is no known "safe period" or requirement for patients to stop the medication. The level of the drug in semen hasn't been shown to pose a risk to a fetus. Residue from crushed pills poses great risk. These opinions should not take the place of your physician's medical advice.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

My youngest daughter was conceived while I was taking Propecia. She was born healthy and is a healthy and happy pre-teen now.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Well... There's a risk with just about everything when it comes to medication. I find that educating both partners will help to eliminate the risk. This is a personal choice that requires considerable responsibility for sure. If I was expecting, I would probably make sure that the medication was kept away from home to minimize contact.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If I was expecting, I would probably make sure that the medication was kept away from home to minimize contact.

That's extreme. I kept it in the home in the medicine cabinet while my wife was pregnant. There's no reason for a woman to come in contact with it. Under what circumstances might that happen?

@Since21

Hi. I know this sounds strange but women can be a little beside themselves when they are pregnant. I suppose it would be a extra precaution to neutralize the probability of the male who might inadvertently forget to wash the hands. Sometimes we can be in such deep thought that we lose focus for just a split-second.

I have two children so I know that women can be a little irrational when they're pregnant, but I didn't/don't wash my hands after I take Propecia. I would think the transference of anything that might be harmful to women from the unwashed hand of a man who has taken an unbroken pill of Propecia would be extremely unlikely, if not impossible. Now, if you're talking about a quartered pill of Proscar, then I would definitely be more cautious.

• 2 weeks later...

This discussion topic is a very interesting one. Minimizing the risk is what's important. I have heard that splitting the tablets is generally more popular for many guys for more than one reason. I have also heard of individuals decreasing their dosage without any noticeable effects or results. I'd like to hear from more dudes about this particular subject of conception and finasteride. Just because we've not heard any feedback from those who may have been adversely affected by the medication, doesn't negate their existence. I am happy to see that no negative reports have been noted here thus far. I'd never wish a negative outcome on anyone’s kids. Thanks for sharing.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly, this is more good feedback. As I said before, this is information on how to avoid making a regret.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for all the responses guys. I checked with my Dr.(who checked with the pharmacist) and she said that there should be no problem with conceiving while on propecia. There have been no recorded instances of any probs. A bit of a relief as the drug is so effective and coming off would have been quite a bind : o )