Advice needed, newbie

Okay to start things quickly, I woke up this morning, took a shower and looked at myself in the mirror with disgust once more, but this time I decided to do something about it.

I looked on the web to see which medication I should take for stopping my hair loss. I'm not considering any surgical procedures, yet...

I know I should have decided a long time ago to start taking something, but I was scare of the so called side effects; mood swing, sexual downside, and so on. But it's now or never.

Now the reason I'm posting this thread is to know if there are any solutions for me.

I have a receding hairline and also thinning on the top, I'm currently 29 year old. My father is bald, my fathers brothers are all bald, and on my moms side they are pretty thin, and my only older brother is pretty much ball as well.

Then is it worth it to take any drugs at all?

If so, from what I gathered from the research I made on the web, I should be taking 1/4 of a pill of 5mg proscar and maybe rogaine.

Any suggestions also I live in Canada so drugs are harder to get locally, are there any website for online purchase?

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

Welcome to this community...;)

The first thing to do is to make an appointment with an experienced physician who can potentially provide the proper diagnosis for MPB and the prescription for low dose finasteride.

The doctor can also provide you with a comprehensive discussion on the other options for viable hairloss meds.

Then, start researching everything you can regarding genetic hair loss, meds, and the dynamics of hair restoration surgery. We all need to be aware of the benefits as well as the risks.

Best wishes to you!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Gillenator,

I contacted my doctor and she is referring me to a dermatologist. Now I will wait for an appointment but then again they are 3 hours away from my town.

I though it would have been less complicated then this. At first I though I could jump right in and take the drugs because they are not prescriptions.

Thanks

You can start minoxidil now, but you'll need a script for finasteride. I ask for a generic prescription of Proscar and cut it into 1/4's. It is 9 dollars at Walmart but I get mine local $18 at a small hometown pharmacy because my Walmart, at the time, was selling oval pills instead of circular so I went for the round ones because the are easier to quarter that way.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You're very welcome Phil. I see guys, especially the young ones, jumping on the internet to purchase finasteride without being examined and properly diagnosed.

A small percent of them do not even have MPB but another form of hair loss, many times temporary and arising from some other unrelated problem.

The HT doctor can also potentially examine your entire scalp microscopically to see where DHT is impeding and help develop a game plan for you.

Wishing you the best in your journey my friend...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY