Laser removal of SMP and damage to growth

scar5

-I had a small cyst removed at a skin clinic. There was a Q-Switch laser sitting there and a real doctor who specializes in using it.

-I asked her to give me a few zaps, on my SMP (just a couple of snaps, set to different wavelengths (whatever they are set too).

-She seemed reluctant.

-I told her about my SMP

She said she hadn't noticed I even had SMP. (hair length about 1cm at the time)

Don't know if she was telling the truth

-She warned me that if I do the laser, I might permanently lose the hair.

I said, do a small sample only, I'll live with it.

-She said OK and we shaved around the area, gave it two snaps and the result three to four weeks later is two empty white holes and NO hair in them!!I'm not bothered at all, but...

-I wanna put it out there that laser could destroy or damage hair. Never mind about the depth of the follicle. So be careful to check thoroughly about going to permanent black ink places if hair is something you wanna keep should you need laser.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update

In case any of our readers are interested.

The hair which I assumed was killed by the laser has mysteriously re-appeared (s mo post-laser).

There were two perfectly empty holes for almost three months and now, they're reappeared.

Conclusion;

The laser caused shockloss. The hair went into a forced state of telogen thanks to the trauma of the laser.

So there.

And marie4U.

Thanks. That's hilarious, I think I'll give it another shot - why not cause more shock loss?

Scar,

Glad to hear it was temporary. I hope you'll continue to keep us updated on everything.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

was the hair native or transplanted?

in any case sounds more resilient than expected

when approaching a few clinics about SMP for added illusion of density, they did mention some former patients had actually had it removed.

so good info here, thanks

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

was the hair native or transplanted?

Native hair.

Just forward of the ear.

It hasn't all grown back, but it is happening .

I'd still be cautious. The doc who did the laser was adamant that the hair would be killed. That doc normally doesn't deal with SMP, she deals with woman's aesthetic things.