New guy looking for good FUE surgeon in US...

Hey guys, I've been doing some reading up on hair transplants and am considering getting one at some point in the future. I'm 25 years old and have been losing hair for probably about 6 years now. I'm currently a NWII as the hair has receded about a half inch in the corners and is thinning in the corners as well. From what I've read, it seems like a FUE hair transplant is a viable option for me.

I have been on minox, Propecia, and Nizoral for the last 2 years or so. I'm currently located in the Midwest and am trying to find the best FUE hair transplant surgeon in the US. The results I'm seeing on Dr Shapiro's website look great (and I see that he is recommended on here as well). I would estimate that I will probably need 1500-2000 grafts and I see the Dr Shapiro charged $7.00 per graft for FUE; is that about standard?

Also, my hair has always been very fine so I don't know if that would factor into which surgeon might be best for me. Any suggestions or recommendations for surgeons in the US would be greatly appreciated!

If you want FUE, go to Europe. Travel and money shouldn't be a consideration. If you're determined to have it done in the US, Ron Shapiro has consistently good FUE results and produces natural hairlines. I've met him. He's a nice guy. You'll get differing opinions about who the best FUE guys are in Europe, but the names that keep coming up are Lorenzo, Bisanga, Feriduni and Erdogan (Turkey).

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I personally would go to the European guys myself. Feriduni, Bisanga, Mwamba, Erdogan, Lorenzo, Hakan and Maras are my top picks. Just my opinion.

You have only to review dozens of results and those posted on this forum before a consistent pattern emerges. My research has shown that if you want world-class FUT, you can get that in the states, but if you want the best FUE work, travel to Europe. It all comes down to research and results. In the end, it's subjective, but there's a saying: If 10 people say you have a tail, sooner or later you have to turn around and take a look. There are 5-6 surgeons that are consistently mentioned as being the top FUE guys in the world. There's a reason for that. The results back it up. Keep doing your research and I'm sure you'll find the same.

Like I said, if I was going to have FUE done in the states, I'd probably go to Ron Shapiro. But since travel and money wouldn't be a factor for me, I'd travel to Europe for FUE.

Check out this guy's thread and this quote from it:

Yes I considered Dr. Bisanga as well for my surgery. I know really well how is the work of most of the surgeons in Europe, and for my liking Bisanga is one of the best. He has lots of good results regularly (the regularity it's very important if you want to take the plunge, because your possibilities of success grows a lot, and that's definitely all that we want).

In the end I decided to choose Dr. Lorenzo due to the enormous quantity of videos in his website, and his post-surgery attention. But Dr. Bisanga is a great choice, doubtless.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/172176-doctor-lorenzo-1-551-1-301-601-grafts-fue-pictures-video.html

It's pretty typical. His result, while impressive, isn't unusual after you've researched dozens of these surgeon's results.

I had FUE done by Dr. True last year and was very pleased with the results. He removes the grafts, makes holes for them, and the techs plant them. I'm not sure what more there is to it. They all seemed to grow just fine.

I've probably been to 50 countries for my job and two of the last places I'd want to visit are India and Turkey. Not a chance I'd go there to have work done on my head. Belgium wouldn't be an issue.

He removes the grafts, makes holes for them, and the techs plant them. I'm not sure what more there is to it.

With all due respect, this comment is absurd. How 'bout the surgeon's skill? His artistry? You see no real difference in FUE results from one surgeon to the next? From Lorenzo to Bisanga to Feriduni to True to Shapiro, no difference at all?

I've read that FUE transplants in Turkey are generally much cheaper than elsewhere; is this true? If so, why is that? I haven't been able to find any prices for Dr. Erdogan or Dr. Doganay in Turkey; does anybody have any insight on that? Thanks again.

I'm sure there are other factors, but I would imagine overhead and cost of living are much more reasonable in Turkey and Belgium than the US or UK.

Edited by Since21

With all due respect, this comment is absurd. How 'bout the surgeon's skill? His artistry? You see no real difference in FUE results from one surgeon to the next? From Lorenzo to Bisanga to Feriduni to True to Shapiro, no difference at all?

If the consensus is that Rahal does great work by FUT, why do you believe he isn't good at FUE? My point was that the grafts just come out a little differently but going back in they poke a hole and place them. The extraction seems a little different but the rest it pretty much the same.

So again, if Rahal is a genius at FUT why don't you think the same is true about his FUE?

I'm not overly familiar with Rahal's FUE work. And I didn't say Rahal is a genius at FUT. Others have claimed as much, I suppose. But I don't believe one guarantees the other - great at FUT/great at FUE and vice versa. They are different procedures with different skill sets.

. But I don't believe one guarantees the other - great at FUT/great at FUE and vice versa. They are different procedures with different skill sets.

This.

Being adept at one does not mean being good at the other. You cannot extrapolate most the principles of strip onto FUE, the entire extraction process is vastly different and has its own set of variables and tools.

Rahal does excellent FUE. Also, Dr. Wesley in NY has shown some nice FUE results that make him seem to be very promising, however, I would like to see more. Shapiro has some nice FUE as well.

Turkey and Belgium also have some great clinics, of course as well as Dr. Lorenzo in the U.K. right now.

I will agree that the yield from an strip surgeon doing FUE may nor be the same. A surgeon and the techs are dealing with an entirely different surgical protocol, the graft removal is more delicate, and there is less tissue to handle when putting the grafts back in, making them more susceptible to damage, IMO. If you are shopping for an FUE doc, make sure you have seen that he has proven that he can do it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Rahal does excellent FUE. Also, Dr. Wesley in NY has shown some nice FUE results that make him seem to be very promising, however, I would like to see more. Shapiro has some nice FUE as well.

Turkey and Belgium also have some great clinics, of course as well as Dr. Lorenzo in the U.K. right now.

I will agree that the yield from an strip surgeon doing FUE may nor be the same. A surgeon and the techs are dealing with an entirely different surgical protocol, the graft removal is more delicate, and there is less tissue to handle when putting the grafts back in, making them more susceptible to damage, IMO. If you are shopping for an FUE doc, make sure you have seen that he has proven that he can do it.

Are you implying Konior's FUE can't compete with the guys in Europe? Is it just the size of the session he's willing to do?

You make some tremendous leaps, gobble. How do you get that Spanker is implying that from what he stated? I think the bottom line is, and it appears to be fairly common knowledge on here, if you decide to do FUT there are a handful of docs in the US who deliver consistently great results - Shapiro, Konior, Feller, H&W, Rahal, etc. No one is going to suggest you travel to Europe for FUT if you live in the US, if that's what you want. If you want FUE, you will see that a lot of people on here recommend you travel to Europe regardless of where you live. Doesn't mean you won't get a good FUE result in North America. It seems people here genuinely want to steer you in the right direction for the best possible result, depending on what route you want to go. That's all.

Are you implying Konior's FUE can't compete with the guys in Europe? Is it just the size of the session he's willing to do?

I'm not implying that at all. Unfortunately, I have not seen a lot of Dr. K.'s FUE. I have set through a few operations as a guest observer and I have seen several post ops from other pts in person, but none happen to have been FUE. However, because I know him, I do not believe that he would not offer it if her were not putting out a good result. I believe that the majority of his cases are still strip though. It would be nice to have some of his FUE patients post results though. He stated that he gets a very small percentage of patients that come back in for after photos as many of them travel from all over.

What I am saying is that just because someone is good at strip, doesn't make them good at FUE because of the reasons I listed above, not that a doctor cannot do well at both.

I think a lot of the reason that Turkey is big right now is not only because of the success of the FUE being done there, but the price as well, something that I do not believe that any of the top surgeons in the U.S. can compete with.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I had FUE done by Dr. True last year and was very pleased with the results. He removes the grafts, makes holes for them, and the techs plant them. I'm not sure what more there is to it. They all seemed to grow just fine.

I've probably been to 50 countries for my job and two of the last places I'd want to visit are India and Turkey. Not a chance I'd go there to have work done on my head. Belgium wouldn't be an issue.

What is wrong with India and Turkey?

Cosmetic surgery is less expensive in Turkey, India, etc. because cost of living, labor rates, and taxes are lower. I would guess the cost of insurance is also less and Doctors there face less chance of litigation.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

What is wrong with India and Turkey?

Nothing, that's just ignorance. Turkey and India are two of the most beautiful countries with some of the oldest and richest cultures in the world, anyone who doesn't want to travel there is missing out.

Well the first time I went to India I had the visit the doctor for two rounds of shots before I went there. No f'ing way I'm going to let someone perform surgery on my head while I'm there. My general impression is that it's an unclean and disorganized country with poor infrastructure. Have you ever driven on a road there? It's quite an experience.

I'll admit I've never been to Turkey. Was supposed to stop in Istanbul months ago on a trip but my company banned travel because of protests or something. I'll pay a little more and travel to a more civilized part of the world.

Getting way off topic here...

Well the first time I went to India I had the visit the doctor for two rounds of shots before I went there. No f'ing way I'm going to let someone perform surgery on my head while I'm there. My general impression is that it's an unclean and disorganized country with poor infrastructure. Have you ever driven on a road there? It's quite an experience.

I'll admit I've never been to Turkey. Was supposed to stop in Istanbul months ago on a trip but my company banned travel because of protests or something. I'll pay a little more and travel to a more civilized part of the world.

Getting way off topic here...

I have travelled to India several times. When you say India, you are talking about 1.2 billion people (17% of the world's population), living in 28 states (world’s 7th largest country). Yes parts of India are unclean, disorganised and poor compared to the west. But did you visit Dr. Bhatti’s clinic at Chandigarh? Or have you seen any of the famous hair transplant clinics in India? Doesn’t it sound a bit unfair to generalize like that based on a single trip or a visit to some hospital?

Yes, some times there are protests going on in Turkey. But again, that doesn’t mean they are protesting in every part of Turkey 24/7 throughout the year! And you don’t go to Taksim Square for hair transplants anyway!

The last time I went to New York, someone was shot in front of the Empire State Building, just a block away from me! NYPD fired back and injured nine bystanders! Would it sound fair if I say that America is unsafe for hair transplants because they shoot at bystanders?

This forum recommends doctors from both Turkey and India. I guess there must be a reason or two! There are thousands of happy patients coming out from clinics at both these countries. Isn't it more important to focus on the doctors, their clinics and the results they produce?

pics can be deceiving

videos are a better gauge

if you really have concerns ask to meet up with a few patients

many clinics have patients willing to do this

but if you're dead set on Rahal then go to him

remember some clinics doing FUE have techs helping to remove the grafts

if that is a concern of yours