NW3 wanting FUE : worst case scenario can I still frame my face ? (Zidane look)

I'm a 26 year old NW3 with a NW6 pattern. Now due to some past health issues I can't use propecia or anything hormonal so I'm forced to rely on a healthy diet, exercise, scalp massages, supplements, etc to contain my hair loss. I understand that I'm going to lose more hair but I still want to get a transplant just to frame my face. I feel that it would dramatically change my appearance for the better. Having a bald crown wouldn't really bother me. I'd be happy to look like Zidane. He's very bald on his crown but he still has a great hairline and since he keeps his hair really short it looks really good on him. I'd do the same.

The thing that bothered me the most about my hair loss is when I lost my temple points a couple years ago. It completely changed the way I looked and it made me lose a lot of confidence. I just want my face to look like it used to. Here are some pictures of me. Tell me what you guys think of my plan. All feedback is appreciated and will help me.

cy0CRAD.jpg

fzNMPEI.jpg

It looks like you have a persistent forelock so your hairline is low in front, and too low to transplant in, IMO. You may be able to do some light FUE in the corners, but at 26 with a NW6 pattern and no meds, I would be extremely careful. Terry Bradshaw had hair, but was a NW6 pattern at your age (with may a little more loss). I would try to have an in-person consult with a trusted doctor.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It looks like you have a persistent forelock so your hairline is low in front, and too low to transplant in, IMO. You may be able to do some light FUE in the corners, but at 26 with a NW6 pattern and no meds, I would be extremely careful. Terry Bradshaw had hair, but was a NW6 pattern at your age (with may a little more loss). I would try to have an in-person consult with a trusted doctor.

If I did eventually end up looking like Bradshaw soon (which I doubt b/c of my family genetics) what would be the downside to getting a transplant now if I'm okay with having a bald crown ? My plan is to get a ~2000 graft HT (FUE) 6 months from now. I want to have the hair transplanted to my temple points and temples. I would like to have an NW1 hairline. What do you think of that ? Mind you I'm totally fine with the Zidane look, having a great hairline and temple points that shape my face and then having a completely bald crown. I'll just buzz my hair very short.

71403211_crop_650x440.jpg?1325438213

Zidane

img01.jpg

5720970721we_display_image.jpg?1329763902

26 and an agressive loss pattern is a bit too early to be drawing a line in the sand.

Why not cut your hair short as in the first Zidane picture and get the hairline SMP-ed temporarily? At least then you can let it fade out if you end up disliking it.

Of course the downside is you have to keep shaving your head.

BTW, Zidane is more like a NW2.5 with a freakishly low central hairline.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

what would be the downside to getting a transplant now if I'm okay with having a bald crown ?

Fue is not scarless. You may be lucky and have great scarring that allows you to shave down to 1 or 0 gaurd, but you could be in a position where you experience bad scarring and have to keep the hair on the sides and back longer like a 3 guard. Here are some examples from mickey85's fue thread:

Good scarring:

LubCFJJ_zps99d23431.png

Not so good scarring:

DlY92RQ_zps1f60d6da.png

My personal opinion on the subject is that if you're getting a hair transplant just so you can shave down, you should not have a transplant and just shave down.

getting FUE to frame the face better is an option if you are willing to have less or no hair in the crown

even if you you do go NW6, doing FUE would allow you to buzz the entire head to a stubble and this stubble will still frame the face and not be a far off contrast to the bald skin mid-line and crown if you do go NW6

of course like GREAT JOB states: This all depends how your FUE donor area scars

if you wind up scarring as in the second pic posted by GREAT JOB you can always tattoo those areas to disguise which would be a better option than tattoo-ing the hairline

hair transplants are no longer only for older men who want a head of hair that is continuous from hairline (no matter how high) to crown

just make sure to convey to whomever you choose to do this that you are aware and willing to bald behind the recipient area due to your willingness to "buzz to stubble look"

i think most FUE docs would take your case knowing this, even at your age

26 and an agressive loss pattern is a bit too early to be drawing a line in the sand.

Why not cut your hair short as in the first Zidane picture and get the hairline SMP-ed temporarily? At least then you can let it fade out if you end up disliking it.

Of course the downside is you have to keep shaving your head.

BTW, Zidane is more like a NW2.5 with a freakishly low central hairline.

shaving my head isn't a downside because I already do it now.I buzz it down to .5 mm every few days. Are you sure Zidane is a 2.5 ? Look at this picture

img01.jpg

Fue is not scarless. You may be lucky and have great scarring that allows you to shave down to 1 or 0 gaurd, but you could be in a position where you experience bad scarring and have to keep the hair on the sides and back longer like a 3 guard. Here are some examples from mickey85's fue thread:

Good scarring:

LubCFJJ_zps99d23431.png

Not so good scarring:

DlY92RQ_zps1f60d6da.png

My personal opinion on the subject is that if you're getting a hair transplant just so you can shave down, you should not have a transplant and just shave down.

I already shave my head down but there's a humongous ginormous difference in appearance when you have a nice hairline and 5 o'clock shadow to frame your face as opposed to either being slick bald or having a bad hairline like me.

This guy shaves down to a 0 but he still has a great hairline so it frames his face and makes his appearance a lot better. I know he's a good looking guy in general but he wouldn't be as good looking if he were slick bald

max_george.jpg

Bruce Willis is also a good looking guy but he doesn't look anywhere near as good without a hairline to frame his face

article-2211097-0D3DCD03000005DC-297_468x641.jpg

Even when Zidane shaves his head to 0 he still looks a lot better because he has a 5 o'clock shadow to frame his face

108932556_crop_650x440.jpg

getting FUE to frame the face better is an option if you are willing to have less or no hair in the crown

even if you you do go NW6, doing FUE would allow you to buzz the entire head to a stubble and this stubble will still frame the face and not be a far off contrast to the bald skin mid-line and crown if you do go NW6

of course like GREAT JOB states: This all depends how your FUE donor area scars

if you wind up scarring as in the second pic posted by GREAT JOB you can always tattoo those areas to disguise which would be a better option than tattoo-ing the hairline

hair transplants are no longer only for older men who want a head of hair that is continuous from hairline (no matter how high) to crown

just make sure to convey to whomever you choose to do this that you are aware and willing to bald behind the recipient area due to your willingness to "buzz to stubble look"

i think most FUE docs would take your case knowing this, even at your age

Thanks man.That's exactly my point. And getting SMP to cover up my scars is a great idea.

What do you think my strategy should be though in terms of where I transplant the hair. Should I only do my temples and temple points now ? Or should I also transplant hairs in the entire frontal area even though I still have hair there ?

Do a consult with some top docs and see what they say. Fue with smp could be the ticket for you. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that typically a 26 year old with a nw6 pattern wanting to maintain a nw1 look is not too realistic.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

shaving my head isn't a downside because I already do it now.I buzz it down to .5 mm every few days. Are you sure Zidane is a 2.5 ? Look at this picture

img01.jpg

In terms of hairline shape, Justin Beiber is a NW1. Zidane's temples have receeded to at least a NW2. His true hairloss pattern is probably on a Ludwig scale or something.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I already shave my head down but there's a humongous ginormous difference in appearance when you have a nice hairline and 5 o'clock shadow to frame your face as opposed to either being slick bald or having a bad hairline like me.

This guy shaves down to a 0 but he still has a great hairline so it frames his face and makes his appearance a lot better. I know he's a good looking guy in general but he wouldn't be as good looking if he were slick bald

Bruce Willis is also a good looking guy but he doesn't look anywhere near as good without a hairline to frame his face

Even when Zidane shaves his head to 0 he still looks a lot better because he has a 5 o'clock shadow to frame his face

I would not plan on being able to shave down to skin after a transplant even with fue. You will most likely have visible scarring. I understand what you're saying about framing your face while shaving down, it just sounds like you're planning to have the best possible outcome from a transplant and I would be cautious about expecting the best. I have been around for awhile and I have yet to see anyone shave down to a zero guard after fue. Also many time smp does not take into scar tissue. I just don't want you to get into a situation where your hair transplant plan is predicated on the assumption that you will have minimal scarring and the smp will surely take into any scarring you do have, and then have that not be the case.

I would not plan on being able to shave down to skin after a transplant even with fue. You will most likely have visible scarring. I understand what you're saying about framing your face while shaving down, it just sounds like you're planning to have the best possible outcome from a transplant and I would be cautious about expecting the best. I have been around for awhile and I have yet to see anyone shave down to a zero guard after fue. Also many time smp does not take into scar tissue. I just don't want you to get into a situation where your hair transplant plan is predicated on the assumption that you will have minimal scarring and the smp will surely take into any scarring you do have, and then have that not be the case.

I appreciate your concern and I've seen some pictures of bad scaring so I understand what you're saying. I don't really want to shave my head though, I would just buzz it down to 1mm. I think that would help cover up potential scaring. And at the end of the day the scars would only be on the back of my head correct ? I think I could live with that as long as I had a good front. It's a trade off I'm willing to make

I appreciate your concern and I've seen some pictures of bad scaring so I understand what you're saying. I don't really want to shave my head though, I would just buzz it down to 1mm. I think that would help cover up potential scaring. And at the end of the day the scars would only be on the back of my head correct ? I think I could live with that as long as I had a good front. It's a trade off I'm willing to make

As long as you're going in eyes wide open I wish you luck. I would consult with some top fue doctors and see how much donor they think you have available, get their opinion with your plan and then go from there.

As long as you're going in eyes wide open I wish you luck. I would consult with some top fue doctors and see how much donor they think you have available, get their opinion with your plan and then go from there.

Thank you. Do you think I need to see a doctor in person or is an online consultation enough ?

Thank you. Do you think I need to see a doctor in person or is an online consultation enough ?

In person is always best.

View Spanker's Website