Trains, Planes, Automobiles and Hair Transplants

Happy Holidays everyone!

I have decided to have a HT in the New Year. Currently I am 40 and a 3V. I have been on finasteride for about 6 months and am thickening up quite a bit (and having no side effects). Most of the transplanted area will be covered by hair or have hair brushed over it.

I am planning on getting 3000 FU via strip. I took the advise of this forum and did not let geography influence my decision - now I have to deal with the geography! My question is what the best way to get to and from the HT, in NYC. I plan to stay a few days there afterwards. My options are:

1. Drive: this would be a six hour drive. I hate the thought of driving in NYC.

2. Fly: direct flight, about 1 hour. I worry about being self conscious especially going through security. I fly a lot, but I am not keen on flying and try and avoid it :). Also it will take about an hour at least to get to the hotel from the airport and vice versa. Total journey time about 4 1/2 hours with transport to the airport.

3. Train / automobile: I could drive 3 hours and then take the train to NYC (3 hours). The train station in NYC is not far from my hotel or where I am having the HT. I am leaning towards this option for the convenience and flexibility. Also no airport security to go through!

I would appreciate any thoughts from people who have travelled for their HT.

Thanks!

Hi Mate,

I would drive; I have considered this as well, and the last thing I want to do is go through a crowded airport or train station with a visible strip scar and a swollen head. haha

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I just had my second in NYC and did the plane thing. Being that I had been through the routine already, a grabbed a flight home (1.5 hours) the night of my procedure. Jump in a taxi and relax on the plane (and don't hit your head). Even if the security people see your head for the 10 seconds your hat is off who cares? You'll never see them again.

Driving in NYC is easy, it's the parking that sucks.

I live in NYC and traveled out of town for mine. I went by plane and, yes, going through security is a bit daunting. Fortunately the TSA agents I encountered were very understanding and took me aside for a private screening. I have flown a couple of times since then and I would suggest going through the scanner with your hat on - they'll ask you to remove it once you're through. It's a quick check and you're on your way. Good luck.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I've been through the Turkish airport control with my hat on--just tell them you had a minor surgery. I even overheard ladies at the desk saying to each other "sach ekim" (hair transplant), but they didn't look judgmental and anyway who cares.

One thing is for sure: you'll be drowsy from the anesthetics and in a post-op shock and it is not a good idea to drive in such condition. Plane + cab is the way to go.

Hi Go for it! Im a little curious to know what made you choose strip over FUE I feel that Hair restoration network has helped many people go with FUE. My HT was done in India and traveling home I wore a bandana, going through airports I also said I recently had a minor operation and they completely understood. So I suggest flying avoid driving, get home quick as you and then rest up, spend a good 10 - 14 days catching up with reading & DVDs. all the best :)

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

One thing is for sure: you'll be drowsy from the anesthetics and in a post-op shock and it is not a good idea to drive in such condition. Plane + cab is the way to go.

abc raises a good point. I didn't realize until a couple of weeks post-op just how out of it I was for the first several days after the procedure. I'd seriously caution against driving.

Hi Go for it! Im a little curious to know what made you choose strip over FUE I feel that Hair restoration network has helped many people go with FUE. My HT was done in India and traveling home I wore a bandana, going through airports I also said I recently had a minor operation and they completely understood. So I suggest flying avoid driving, get home quick as you and then rest up, spend a good 10 - 14 days catching up with reading & DVDs. all the best :)

Hi,

Thanks. I was going to stay in NYC for a few days at least and have a bit over 2 weeks off work.

For the strip vs FUE . . . I debated that as well. The surgeons I visited do both, and are well known. They recommended FUT. While I do exercise, everything I do I can do a week or two afterwards (well, except skiing, but my transplant will be after ski season!). There are a couple of reasons I chose FUT.

1. I have never worn my hair short (well, once and I could not wait to grow it out again!).

2. My donor is really good, but though I am a 3V now and responding to meds I think I would eventually become a 6 with time (though with a limited area of crown balding). So if/when my balding progresses I want as many grafts as possible.

3. Not to get into a FUE vs FUT debate, all the surgeons I went explained it this way:

A. FUT accesses your best donor hair.

B. if you do FUE first and the donor becomes too thin to hide a strip scar (after removing the hair) then you cannot have FUT.

C. After you max out FUT you can still do FUE in areas with good density.

So bottom line is that I think this strategy gives me the best chance of having a pretty good head of hair for most of my life, and maximizes my donor supply with the available techniques. Of course a year after I do this they will discover a cure for MPB or how to do hair cloning and I will have a strip scar :).

From my experience, surgeons who do mainly Strip will try and talk you into strip. I do not need a smily face on the back of my head for the rest of my life! Even with the best doctors it may not be possible for you to have a short buzz cut if you go for Strip. Additionally there is always the risk of scar stretching. (See here) With a good FUE surgeon the yield is comparable to that of strip. I will never do strip. But good luck and all the best to you.

From my experience, surgeons who do mainly Strip will try and talk you into strip. I do not need a smily face on the back of my head for the rest of my life! Even with the best doctors it may not be possible for you to have a short buzz cut if you go for Strip. Additionally there is always the risk of scar stretching. (See here) With a good FUE surgeon the yield is comparable to that of strip. I will never do strip. But good luck and all the best to you.

That's great. Please come back in 12-18 months and show us how great your FUE was.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

There is a risk of scarring with both FUE and FUT. I can show you a good result by a leading FUE surgeon where you can clearly see patches of scalp in the donor area. And if you really want to point out worst case scenarios, here ya go:

(Link removed by moderator - See Terms of Service)

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge

Hi,

To each their own. I don't form keloids. While that scar looks horrible - can you imagine what he would look like with thousands of keloid scars?

The physicians laid out a good case for strip rather than FUE - mainly the total number of grafts available over time. I discussed with them my goals, and we discussed what was best for me.

I might be a 3V now, but even with the meds working, my age, and medical progress I still want to be as conservative as possible with my donor. I have no desire to buzz my hair down, if I did I would consider FUE, or if I was having a smaller session.

These are my reasons, but obviously everyone has different priorities.

So - planes, trains, or automobiles?

That's great. Please come back in 12-18 months and show us how great your FUE was.

Yeah, I will show you my FUE scars. You please show me your strip scar in 2 years and we will compare which one is less visible, ok?

I don't want to hijack someone else's thread. So I am not going to post any more FUE vs Strip arguments here. But I will say this; just search google images for hair transplant scars, or search this forum, and compare how many strips gone wrong vs FUE's gone wrong.

So what do you think the motivation would be for a top NYC doctor (many of whom have had FUT themselves) to recommend FUT over FUE when (in rounded numbers) he can charge that patient $10 per FUE graft instead of $5 per FUT graft? From everything I've read it doesn't sound like FUE is the best solution for everyone even if money is no object.

To the original question, get on a plane the next afternoon and don't worry about what anyone at the airport thinks. The surgery isn't that big of a deal and you won't be out of it the next day. It's nice to get home and lay down in your own bed.

To the original question, get on a plane the next afternoon and don't worry about what anyone at the airport thinks. The surgery isn't that big of a deal and you won't be out of it the next day. It's nice to get home and lay down in your own bed.

I was pretty out of it the next day, and didn't realize how foggy I was for a few days after until a couple of weeks out. I never liked taking painkillers so I may have had a stronger reaction to them. But I agree, take a plane. Get home and get in your own bed.

Hi,

1. I have never worn my hair short (well, once and I could not wait to grow it out again!).

Fair enough then, best of luck, all the best for a speedy successful HT, take care seth

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Agree with 1978matt, fly for the procedure and don't worry about anyone talking you out of FUT as long you are going to a top recommended doc.

I have stayed out of the FUT/FUE wars so far and hope the thread hijacking to convert people to FUE calm down, as overall the yield rates are not there yet except for a few elite docs.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Agree with 1978matt, fly for the procedure and don't worry about anyone talking you out of FUT as long you are going to a top recommended doc.

I have stayed out of the FUT/FUE wars so far and hope the thread hijacking to convert people to FUE calm down, as overall the yield rates are not there yet except for a few elite docs.

Thanks - I am not really sure what the entire FUT vs. FUE debate.is about. They are both tools to treat MPB and I am going to use every tool I have in a sensible manner.

I think it is a little insincere saying if you go to a FUT surgeon they will recommend FUT - the same is true for those surgeons who do FUE only. I consulted with surgeons who do both - they see the advantages and disadvantages of each procedure.

The surgeons I visited are also well known for their repair work - I feel this gives them a good insight into the pitfalls of hair transplants.

For the original question - I am going between the plane and the train/automobile route. Both take about the same time overall (accounting for getting to the airport etc.) - but the train will be more comfortable, especially if I go first class (which is cheaper than economy on the plane). The 6 hour drive was never much of a consideration!