1 year post FUE results - need input/advice

John,

That's really not true. We run an open and honest discussion forum, and offering critiques and constructive criticism is part of this. If you stick around a bit, I think you'll notice that we really don't censor or "hide" this type of discussion. In fact, if this was the case, I think you would have seen this thread disappear a long time ago.

My only request is that we stay on topic and help asiandude. Feel free to comment, but please remember that this thread was created by a patient seeking help; not by a patient looking for a forum to defame a physician for poor work.

Keep in mind that I'm subject to this same open and honest feedback as well. If members feel like I (or any other administrator) am moderating too harshly, please let me know. I want the discussion to continue openly and honestly, but it has to remain constructive and helpful as well.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

Yes, we have elected to no longer recommend physicians in the past. There is no standard protocol for this type of situation. I spoke with Dr. Diep about this result earlier today, and I want him to share his commentary before I leave any opinion of my own (because I think he did a good job explaining this plan).

Frankly, I just want asiandude to be satisfied with his result. If he's happy with the work, then I'm happy with the work. Sorry for being a bit vague, but I want to give Dr. Diep a chance to respond.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

look forward to Dr. Diep's response.

don't mean to go off topic, but my HT is scheduled end of Jan w Dr. Diep and i'm starting to get a bit nervous, especially because of all the negativity recently. I know how forums can be though, so I don't let it completely skew my decision, but definitely will have another consultation with the Dr. to go over a few additional questions/concerns I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on Diep's response to the wrong direction of implanted hairs and overharvesting of one area of the donor whilst leaving the other half completely untouched...

I usually don't get involved in these types of threads but even if this were my doctor, I would ask for a response for reasoning on this thread. I always think that it is best for a patient to go to his doctor first for answers but this particular case is sub-par IMO. I hope we are able to hear from the doctor, see some better pre-op photos and immediate post op photos as well. I can fully understand the patient's concerns.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay. As it says above, I spoke with Dr. Diep about this issue roughly a month ago. At that time, he told me he was going to review the thread, speak with Asiandude, and leave commentary in the thread. Since then, I know Asiandude and Dr. Diep met, and I have been communicating with Asiandude through privates messages. He also recently informed me that he wanted to wait for Dr. Diep's input (in the thread) before leaving a reply.

I will send Dr. Diep an email ASAP and see if he will leave a response. I know he has met with Asiandude in person and they are working together to try and rectify the situation. Again, if I can answer any questions in the meantime, please let me know.

Thanks!

yeah! been waiting for some answer!

Also.. asiandude.. If it's ok, can you please explain to us what end up happen? We need a closure.

And I'm also curious on how m0dthispny surgery went with Dr. Diep? please reply.

had my surgery on friday, and so far so good.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173759-2-781-grafts-dr-diep.html

i know its early, but the natural direction of my hair is. the center is straight, right side flows right, left side flows left. looking at the transplanted grafts, it looks to be matching pretty good.

while they were extracting the grafts, i overheard them saying the rear left side of my head, the hairs were wavier so they did not pull any from that side since it did not match the proper flow.

I was considering having a HT with Dr. Diep this April 2014, but your comments are concerning to me. Especially the fact that he misses the small details, ie- direction of hairs and donor sites. Did you have a procedure done by Dr. Diep?

Hi Guys,

I spoke with Dr. Diep again today on the phone. He informed me that he was extremely busy over the past few weeks, and didn't have time to write a formal reply. However, he reviewed the situation again and assured me that he will be writing one this week.

I do apologize for the delay. We have done our best to make sure the situation is handled properly, but I do know Dr. Diep is very busy and I understand how a delay like this could occur. Regardless, Dr. Diep did tell me that he will be writing a reply this week, and I offered to help in any way possible.

I hope this clears things up.

If anyone else has good/bad on Diep who *actually* did a FUE with him, please chime in. I have a FUE scheduled with Diep in a few weeks so would like to hear more patient input.

Again, not outside speculation, please. The orig post here and m0dthispny's update on the other thread is what I'm looking for. Thx!!

Hair transplant is a cosmetic procedure which helps restore hair loss. It does not restore hair loss back to the way an individual was born with. Hair transplant is considered as a scientific procedure. There is no guaranteed that all scientific procedure will be 100% successful. Hair result varies from one individual to another. Some people may need more than one hair surgery to achieve their goals, while others may feel one surgery is sufficient. In this client’s case, another surgery is warranted to fill in the area of needs to better blend the transplanted and existing hair. In restoring this client’s hairline, all techniques were done correctly and accordingly. Nothing was done differently. However, there are many factors which may influence the results differently, such as: the contraction and expansion of the underlying scar can change the hair angle, not enough transplanted hair blending with the natural existing hair, wearing the hair too short and taking photos too close using a phone. To view more of my work, similar to this client’s case, i.e. the hair angle, natural hairline and density, you can view them through the attached photos and these links:

http://youtu.be/ocUYk7xXogw

http://www.mhtaclinic.com/before-after-hair-transplant-photos-view.php?album=6

http://www.mhtaclinic.com/before-after-hair-transplant-photos-view.php?album=9

http://www.mhtaclinic.com/before-after-hair-transplant-photos-view.php?album=2

http://www.mhtaclinic.com/before-after-hair-transplant-photos-view.php?album=5

I recently had a 12 months follow up with the client. I have offered him another procedure to fix his concerns and in the process of working out an agreement to help him. As a hair surgeon, I have always tried my best to create the most natural and dense hair result for my clients. However, not all result will be perfect with the first hair surgery. Again, sometime more than one surgery is needed to reach the ideal goal for each person. I care deeply for my clients’ well being as much as their hair result. I will always stand behind my work and my clients, willing to go out of my way to make them happy. If you follow my work carefully whether through my Youtube page “jgdiep” or my website “mhtaclinic.com,” you will notice that most of my hair surgery results are excellent work of art, very natural and dense with perfectly aligned hair angle.

jcabr1aR.jpg.c0828f7aa49b6623ae067fb29f90ccab.jpg

jcabr1bR.jpg.adadba88a2c95f0229d257af607a675f.jpg

jcabr2a.jpg.8df2546bf378ecb1e47237c9cb9c272f.jpg

jcabr2b.jpg.a5d9a82d88eb0fca7e16e5f82b4df814.jpg

jcabr3a.jpg.7328759dcb9594e342a558938c4bd581.jpg

jcabr3b.jpg.45b6b9846b3a1beacd1f44a9c9e2e8f2.jpg

jcabr4a.jpg.3765f8896ccb75b1c5a62d0a16497980.jpg

jcabr4b.jpg.55d2168adf67f732f7d947b0173360f8.jpg

Dr. John Diep is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• 4 weeks later...

You fail to address why you over-extracted from one side of Asiandude's donor leaving it barren while leaving the other side perfectly untouched. One would think that dispersing the extractions over a wider area would mitigate such a visual discrepancy...

I have also NEVER seen such a contrast in angles between the implanted and native hairs from top surgeons. H&W match angles just fine. As do Bisanga, Lorenzo, Konior etc... Showing us good examples of your work does not necessarily negate the results of this case. I don't doubt that you care for your patients, people have told me that you are a considerate surgeon. But I can't ignore the flaws in this case and don't find these excuses plausible... Just my opinion.

Anyway, it is not my fight. That is all I will say about this unless provoked. I wish Asiandude all the best in the future.

Dr. Deip,

Seriously, "contraction and expansion of the underlying scar" suddenly changed his recipient hair direction/angle downwards? Wow!!! Can you show me any other case where this has happened in the recipient area?

So why was donor hair removed from just his back/left side but not his right side?

No question about the quality of work you have done (on most patients). Evidence/pictures of other patients doesn't change anything about this case!

Something terribly went wrong here! That was not a very convincing explanation Dr. Sorry, just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I was browsing through the forums and happen to stumble into this thread because I've had not visited this website on a consistent basis.

To summarized my situation, I was aware that one procedure was not enough for decent coverage, and that I would someday will have to get another procedure. In addition, my hair is fine (not thick), and my overall donor area coverage is below average. I would agree that harvesting outside the safe zone was a bit aggressive, but this was my way of harvesting the most grafts for my Norwood level. I would certainly agree this is debatable for my situation, since I refuse to do strip procedure.

After a 1-year absent, I recently had my second procedure done. I only received 1,100 FUE graft, but this time, harvesting only the safe zone area. In addition, I elected to try the ACell injection. This second procedure was to mainly fill up more density around my hairline, and add a little bit more coverage towards the back.

I had the option to add in the strip procedure if I wanted to yield more grafts. But as I have mention previously, strip is not an option for me. I'll still have thinning on the top of my head, but I'll decide someday if I want to elect another procedure.

I am taking photos to document my recent procedure. But this time, I am not going to upload photos, because my profile seems to be a bashing target towards Dr Diep no matter what I upload. So I'll wait until my one year result if I should share. I don't expect the world's greatest results, but some density coverage is what I hope to achieve.

Those who never met Dr Diep certainly have the right to voice their critical opinions. But when you have consistently new patients seeking his services, you also have to agree that many people are satisfied with his work. I have never heard one patient with a disaster story or zero growth from this clinic.

• 2 months later...

Asiandude, any update to your status on if you had another procedure to address your concerns? I read your thread and saw the pictures you posted and i actually think your hair looked better before the transplant. Anyway I hope you can share more about your situation because I was thinking about having my corners restored like yours but after seeing your pictures i probably would never do a hair transplant.

Asiandude, any update to your status on if you had another procedure to address your concerns? I read your thread and saw the pictures you posted and i actually think your hair looked better before the transplant. Anyway I hope you can share more about your situation because I was thinking about having my corners restored like yours but after seeing your pictures i probably would never do a hair transplant.

Don't let this result sway you off a hair transplant altogether. I have been very vocal about Diep's work which in my opinion is poor in general. I will probably cop flak for saying that but that's expected. Never have I seen such a discrepancy in hair angle and direction between the native hair and implanted hair from a recommended surgeon. It looks downright bizarre. I would go on but I have reiterated my sentiments about Diep before. Look into guys like Lorenzo, Feriduni, Mwamba, Bisanga, Maras, Erdogan, Reddy for quality FUE and guys like Konior, Hasson, Wong and Gabel for strip. There are a few others worth mentioning but I feel those guys are the absolute cream of the crop in their respective field.

Don't let this result sway you off a hair transplant altogether. I have been very vocal about Diep's work which in my opinion is poor in general. I will probably cop flak for saying that but that's expected. Never have I seen such a discrepancy in hair angle and direction between the native hair and implanted hair from a recommended surgeon. It looks downright bizarre. I would go on but I have reiterated my sentiments about Diep before. Look into guys like Lorenzo, Feriduni, Mwamba, Bisanga, Maras, Erdogan, Reddy for quality FUE and guys like Konior, Hasson, Wong and Gabel for strip. There are a few others worth mentioning but I feel those guys are the absolute cream of the crop in their respective field.

Interesting that there is such a discrepancy in quality of FUE surgeons between Europe and the US.