Questions for Dr Rahal's Patients?

Hey guys, Did all of you stayed at the guesthouse or did any of you guys stayed at a hotel? I cant really make up my mine where I want to stay. About the guesthouse, Is there a person that stays there 24/7 to look after you or something?

hi, i'm having my procedure done on jan 7th and i'm staying at the brookline, it's a guest house for rahal patients only, i've only heard good things about it from other patients so i decided to book there for several days, i don't believe there is anyone looking after you 24/7 at the guesthouse, you do have quick access to rahal's office which is only about 2 blocks away for checkups, cleaning, etc. Essentially the guesthouse has all the amenities you would need for the first few days after a HT, like a reclining chair to rest, etc. I believe their website is :Brookline Guesthouse - About Us. Also I don't think you can get a better deal on the cost basis. But totally up to you. Best of luck.

I didn't stay at the guesthouse, I stayed at the Southway hotel which is about 3-5 minutes from the clinic. I'm not anti-social or anything but I do like my privacy, and the thought of staying in a sort of community house after the procedure wasn't really appealing to me plus I was traveling with someone. I have heard good things about the guesthouse, it just didn't sound like my cup of tea. Also Dr. Rahal has a recommended cab driver, I think his name is Ahmed (not sure though it's been awhile), and he is awesome, you call him and he is there in a few minutes and is a really friendly and understanding guy.

i know a few people you stayed at the new guest house

STAY THERE!!!!!

it is 2 blocks walking from the clinic and they supply everything

privacy is not a issue. if you want to socialize that is an option but the house is so big and clean, one of my friends said that was the best part of the whole experience!

every room has a flatscreen and a private bath, either off the room or in the room

i saw pics and a video, it looks like a spa!

fresh towels ALWAYS AVAILABLE and a washer and dryer for private use

a stocked refrigerator

full kitchen

also big cushy leather recliners in every room

at least 20 foot ceilings in the main living room and a separate bonus room off the entrance

there is a backyard and a wall of windows off the open concept first floor

plus a finished basement

there is so much room, you can get lost!

but it feels like home!

she said most of the time the house felt empty since many people just stay a night or two

she stayed 2 weeks and didn't want to leave and wants to build a house like this one for herself!

some people came with there with their spouses, mothers, one came with his grandmother!

the clinic is up the road so any issue and someone is right over

in fact she said someone drove her to the place after the surgery

it almost made me want to book with rahal but canada is too far

Before my surgery I was also trying to figure out where to stay because I had no idea what the guest house would be like. I decided to stay at Dr. Rahal's guest house after all, and it was clearly the best choice. It was phenomenal. If I had to stay in Ottawa again, I wouldn't think twice about staying there again. You pretty much have the entire house to yourself, and theres a great sense of community and comfort knowing that there are other patients staying with you. There were two other patients staying there when I was there, and we talked a lot and still keep in touch. Not to mention, you could probably throw a rock and hit the clinic from the guest house, which makes it very very convenient. The prices are completely reasonable for everything you get while staying there.

My advice, book the guest house now, you will not regret it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys, about the guesthouse, am assuming there is like a caretaker that cleans the room etc like a hotel? Can we come and go as we please? Lets say I want a slurpee 3 in the morning, Can I leave without waking everybody up?

Stay at the guesthouse, no one is watching you. You can come and go whenever you like, you get your own set of keys (both house and room). You can get your Slurpee at anytime you want to. You'll also be meeting a lot of other Dr Rahal Patients as well (which is a good thing).

• 6 months later...

100% stay there. See my write up about it although I think they changed houses but ultimately it is the same experience I'm sure. It was such a great place to stay as you are with other people whom are experiencing the same thing as you and it really makes you feel better vs. staying in a cold hotel by yourself. We all hung out and bonded together through our experience. It was actually refreshing to finally be open about my hair loss as you are among others who suffer from it as well!

the gh all the way.

besides it being convenient, clean and great value for money. For me was meeting people at the guest house that are going through or have gone trough the same thing. Passing time and meeting people in our shoes makes it so much more comfortable and if you have question or need a hand I found ppl more than will to help.

the gh all the way.

besides it being convenient, clean and great value for money. For me was meeting people at the guest house that are going through or have gone trough the same thing. Passing time and meeting people in our shoes makes it so much more comfortable and if you have question or need a hand I found ppl more than will to help.

i will be staying there in sept and was wondering is there any grocery stores around the area and also can you cook in the kitchen or is it off limits

Guest house hands down. Not only is it close, but it's quiet, contained, and a short distance from Rahal's clinic. Walking distance.

Post OP, interacting with people will be the least of your concerns, and the guest house is the most plausible choice in that aspect. Literally two streets over, and you're at the clinic.

Hotel is a bad choice in comparison IMO... unless you fancy guest service.

Hey guys...to help out...it is a normal house that you can literally come and go. It has bedrooms like a normal house and a kitchen that you can use as your own with pots/pans, utensils, etc. We ordered out a few nights and the other night we bought some frozen pizzas (easy food that you can just heat up in the stove/microwave) at the grocery a few blocks down (I had a rental car). You can go get your slurpee anytime! ;)

Hey guys, Did all of you stayed at the guesthouse or did any of you guys stayed at a hotel? I cant really make up my mine where I want to stay. About the guesthouse, Is there a person that stays there 24/7 to look after you or something?

Stay at the guest house. That is the best part of the experience. You meet other people that you can share your experience with. It has a good atmosphere where you can meet a lot of different people.

I preferred that instead of cooped up and stressed out in a hotel.

• 2 months later...