Mechanical FUE??

Hello all!

I used to hang out on this site but it's been at least 4-5 years since I've been around. My last HT (3rd) was done in 2008. Overall I've been very satisfied by the results and if I had it to do over again.........I would! :cool:

I've been completely out of the HT loop for the past several years and am trying to help a friend who is considering a HT. Virgin scalp.........no HT's and he's probably NW5-NW6 with pretty decent donor density.

We were talking yesterday and he mentioned hearing or reading of some sort of robotic type FUE. Is this really out there? He said up to 6000 grafts in a session -- is this true? Anyone with information on this please chime in. For my $.02, if money was no object I would have had FUE versus strip. I'm very pleased with all of my results but have to admit I'd like to sport the close-cropped look once in awhile but if I clip below 3/4" around the scar evidence of the HT starts to show.

I'm not wanting to start a strip vs FUE debate......been there too many times. Just looking for info to help my friend. He has the $$ and within reason that's no issue. Just looking for the best option for him and trying to get myself updated on any new techniques which may be of benefit to him.

Thanks!!

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Welcome back. I've seen your posts in old threads and find it quite fascinating how people leave the forum and return many years later. It's certainly not a criticism at all. It's just interesting how the forum carries on its momentum regardless.

Anyway, it sounds like your friend is referring to the ARTAS system (look it up on youtube). I've only ever seen it used for around 2,000 grafts in one sitting but on another forum there was a clinic claiming to have done 5,000+. A certain FUE Dr in Atlanta was refuting their claims.

It uses a punch of around 1mm diameter which, as you probably know, is quite big for FUE.

If your friend has got high density and a tall donor he should probably look at Dr Jose Lorenzo who has performed FUE work around 10,000 grafts spread over 4 or 5 sessions.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Welcome back. I've seen your posts in old threads and find it quite fascinating how people leave the forum and return many years later. It's certainly not a criticism at all. It's just interesting how the forum carries on its momentum regardless.

Anyway, it sounds like your friend is referring to the ARTAS system (look it up on youtube). I've only ever seen it used for around 2,000 grafts in one sitting but on another forum there was a clinic claiming to have done 5,000+. A certain FUE Dr in Atlanta was refuting their claims.

It uses a punch of around 1mm diameter which, as you probably know, is quite big for FUE.

If your friend has got high density and a tall donor he should probably look at Dr Jose Lorenzo who has performed FUE work around 10,000 grafts spread over 4 or 5 sessions.

I second that. If money is no object, Jose Lorenzo for a NW6 fue case, if it is appropriate. I have not seen any evidence that ARTAS improves the outcome.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks! Yes - spent many years here, had many friends and was so thankful for the guidance received. I really enjoyed it! Hopefully I was able to help many others with my time here as well. Even after 3 HT's and over 7500 grafts I confess I'll never say never on going back ---- there's always that touch up to the hairline and hey, you can never have enough density, right??

ARTAS, eh? I'll have to check it out though it sounds as there as some questions as to its proven success as claimed. When I heard my friend mention 6000 grafts FUE in one day, knowing that # to be a full day for even strip surgery, I had my doubts.

I'll check Dr. Jose's work. In my estimation, my friend having virgin donor, I was thinking he could get 5000-5500 in a strip mega session. What's the average max for FUE in one session? Doing the math on your number I suppose 2000-2500?

Thanks!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I second that. If money is no object, Jose Lorenzo for a NW6 fue case, if it is appropriate. I have not seen any evidence that ARTAS improves the outcome.

Thanks, Spanker.

I'll check him out and see what the results look like.

Any others specifically known for FUE at this time worth checking? I've been out of the loop for awhile and many of the names escape me.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

What's the average max for FUE in one session? Doing the math on your number I suppose 2000-2500?

Thanks!

The very high end for non-robotic FUE seems to be up to 4000-4500 spread over 2 days but generally no Dr will promise more than 3000. I guess it depends on whether the Dr does the work or shares it with a team of technicians, and how easily the grafts come out.

In theory I think you can go back as early as 3 months later for the next session, but if it were me I'd wait to see how successful the first one was.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Again, Matt is right. He can get at least 3k in a 2 day back to back session, up to about 4500 on the high end.

I am partial to Dr. Koray at the ASMED clinic as well, he is in Turkey and is not very expensive either. He has a lot of results on youtube that you can see in motion, as well as Dr. Lorenzo.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.