Hairline review 2112 grafts

Hi Guys,

Regarding the asymmetry issue: Hairlines are supposed to be asymmetrical. Natural frontal (anterior) hairlines are composed of two components: a macro-hairline and a micro-hairline. The micro-harline is the first 5-10mm of the anterior hairline, which is the area many refer to as the "transition zone" and is the region filled in exclusively with 1 hair follicular units during a hair transplant procedure. The macro-hairline is the 1-3cm behind the micro-hairline, and this is where the surgeon will transition into larger grafts and truly creates the density of the hairline.

Both these hairline regions are naturally asymmetrical. Irregularity in the macro-hairline is called "macro-irregularity" and asymmetry in the micro-hairline is called "micro-irregularity." In order to recreate a natural hairline, surgeons must design a hairline with both macro and micro-irregularity. I think some of the asymmetry individuals are discussing above is actually appropriate macro-irregularity in the hairline.

Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Guys,

Regarding the asymmetry issue: Hairlines are supposed to be asymmetrical. Natural frontal (anterior) hairlines are composed of two components: a macro-hairline and a micro-hairline. The micro-harline is the first 5-10mm of the anterior hairline, which is the area many refer to as the "transition zone" and is the region filled in exclusively with 1 hair follicular units during a hair transplant procedure. The macro-hairline is the 1-3cm behind the micro-hairline, and this is where the surgeon will transition into larger grafts and truly creates the density of the hairline.

Both these hairline regions are naturally asymmetrical. Irregularity in the macro-hairline is called "macro-irregularity" and asymmetry in the micro-hairline is called "micro-irregularity." In order to recreate a natural hairline, surgeons must design a hairline with both macro and micro-irregularity. I think some of the asymmetry individuals are discussing above is actually appropriate macro-irregularity in the hairline.

Hope this helps!

Great Explanation Blake, but I don't think the OP is talking about macro irregularity and the micro irregularity in terms of the hairline to give it a natural look. I think what he meant was perhaps he is indicating his one side appears higher and the other side a little lower from where the hairline starts, what you are talking about is aspects which are taken in to consideration to give it a natural looking hairline but that is not the point here.