thinking of starting finansteride

mosd

Hello, im new to this forum have been reading for a while so this is my second post!

Im thinking about starting taking finasteride, but affraid of the sides. Im thinking of taking 0.20mg EOD or every day. Or maybe 0.5mg mon wen fri.

Have any of you guys been using this and got sides?

Mos,

A lot of individuals try to minimize their finasteride dose in order to retain benefits while minimizing potential side effects. Have you spoken to a physician about this?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

You are right, most doctors are unaware of the sides Fin can cause.

This includes the first doctor who prescribed me 1mg Propecia and the second doctor who prescribed me 1.25mg Proscar. Neither of them mentioned a single word about possible side effects, and the first doc I asked him directly.

Probably best to talk to a doctor though and if purchased locally you will need the prescription from him anyway. You may have to actually educate him on the sides, here is good source from the Mayo clinic.

Finasteride (Oral Route): Side effects - MayoClinic.com

And yes, start on as low as dose possible to avoid any possible sides, but remember if the dosage is too low you will not obtain the benefits of the drug.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Mosd,

I think there is a wealth of information on the internet and you can likely make a very informed decision as to whether or not you want to start finasteride. However, it is a prescription medication, and I assumed you would speak with your physician before actually starting the medication and obtaining a prescription. I was curious as to whether or not you were at this stage yet and if the physician had any opinion on dosing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

good idea to start off small, i couldn't tolerate the drug and dumped it. Ive been off it for 6 months now, i havnt noticed any increase in shedding. I started off on 1 mg a day then i went to 1 mg MWF and after that 0.5mg a day but the sides persisted.

I must say that even though i had the sides while on it i dont think i actually realised how badly it was effecting me till i stopped. Now 6 months after i feel like my old self again, i think it even made me depressed but i guess as a man, when you aint functioning downstairs as you should be it does get you down ( pardon the pun!!) :o

4510 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2012

2350 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2013

HT 1:Total Grafts 4510: Singles 715, Doubles 2123, Triples 1369, Quads 303 ( 10,280 Hairs )

HT 2:Total Grafts 2352: Singles 350, Doubles 1601, Triples 401, ( 4,755 Hairs )

what dose u on?

1.25 generic fin. I started on that and stayed with it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.